Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buddy over last night and was gonna install some new Vaportrail strings on my Bowtech Realm SR6. I put the bow in the press and looked back and his 8yr old kid had opened my new strings and removed the paperclip that holds them when Vaportrail ships them. He took the twist out of them and i was curious how many twist should i put in string and cables before installing them. I have the measurements of what they should be. Can i lay strings and cables down and twist until I get to the measurements they should be or do i have to measure under tension. He offered to buy me new strings and cables but I wanna try and fix issue. His kid has autism and its my fault for not paying attention. What can i do or what would you guys do to fix issue. Do you measure from inside loop to loop or the total length? Thanks

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Inside loop to inside loop under 100lbs of pressure

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
No big deal. You'll get it back in order. The only twists that would have come out are the ones that are not served over so the majority of the twists are still actually there, just covered up. For simplicity's sake, twist them until they "look" right and then measure them. To correctly measure a bow string or cable you would need to stretch them at 100lbs between 1/4" posts for 20 seconds and then measure from the outside of one post to the outside of the other. If you have a way to hook one end on something and then put a smooth shank screwdriver through the other end and pull it towards you while you measure the length, that'll work. Get them close and put them on the bow.

Now, if you have the bow tuned how you like it now, measure and mark everything. Measure the DL, draw weight, holding weight, peep height, nock point, cam lean and mark the cams with a pencil paralleling the limbs. If you do all of that, the lengths that you start with on the harnessing won't matter because you'll just make everything match again and the lengths will have to be the same. If you've not tuned the bow the way you like it already, put the new set on and adjust the cams and string for cam timing, peak weight, cam lean and to get close to the draw length you want. Then go tune the bow for arrow flight or whatever else you intend to do with it.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Could PM VT on here, pretty sure he could give you a rough number of twists; Always seems eager to answer any questions [think his screen name is Ears or something like that].

Otherwise, probably best when measured under tension- 100lbs and using 1/4" pegs in the loops; measure outside to outside of pegs [or inside to inside of loops essentially].

But, probably don't want to make them exactly the same length as the being-replaced set... Guessing there is a reason they are being replaced after all.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I would say twist them till they look right. Then just change one piece at a time.

Check tune on everything as mentioned above and change 1 cable. Mess with that one till everything is timed just right again.
Then change the second cable,... mess with till all back to normal.
Then change the string.

I’ve used this method several times for changing out string sets and am normally able to completely change out and don’t end up making any sight adjustments etc, normally able to get everything back to exactly what it was before I touched the strings/cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think your strings are probably fine. Just twist them up again until they look right.

The actual measurements of the string shouldn't matter anyway, since you should be adding or removing twists anyway to make sure the timing and ATA are correct. If you're not sure if it's right after you string it up, you might be able to try taking it to a dealer or something.

·
Registered
49,452 Posts
Put some twists until it looks good, install it, tune it. No need to replace or buy new one. Nothing new is perfect once installed they all need to be tweaked.

·
Registered
22,545 Posts
I had a buddy over last night and was gonna install some new Vaportrail strings on my Bowtech Realm SR6. I put the bow in the press and looked back and his 8yr old kid had opened my new strings and removed the paperclip that holds them when Vaportrail ships them. He took the twist out of them and i was curious how many twist should i put in string and cables before installing them. I have the measurements of what they should be. Can i lay strings and cables down and twist until I get to the measurements they should be or do i have to measure under tension. He offered to buy me new strings and cables but I wanna try and fix issue. His kid has autism and its my fault for not paying attention. What can i do or what would you guys do to fix issue. Do you measure from inside loop to loop or the total length? Thanks
Sorry this happened to you......sounds like a "perfect storm" in your archery work area. I changed out the string set on my son-in-law's Ross single cam with him present, but there is good reason I try to work alone....it aids in concentration. As others offered, you can get the new VT strings back to working order with a bit of extra work....not ideal but workable. Next time I would take a different path with your string change-out.....unless it was their bow and not yours.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
call vapor trail. they were great for me on the phone when I was trying to get some strings for my Mathews TX-5

·
Registered
17,656 Posts
Huntinsker gave you the best answer & most complete one. Follow his suggestions & you will be good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts