Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to HOYT for a great hunting bow, Easton for a great arrow and Magnus for the Stinger two blade broadhead.

With my UltraTec with Cam 1/2 set at 62#, I had total penetration of this bull at 25 yards with the arrow point piercing the hide on the opposite side and hitting the right elbow.

The bull went 40 yards and stood there. A second arrow was put into him 2" below the first in an attempt for a heart shot to put him down. The second arrow was a total pass through.

The bull went two steps and crashed. The first arrow was a double lunger.

This shows the ability of a medium poundage bow with the correct broadhead to put down the largest of animals.

Alaska Sam:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sam, That must have gotten your heart pumping. Did your arrow make contact with the ribs on either side? Are there free ranging herds of buffalo any where in AK or is this a ranch hunt? What does he weigh? I hear they make good eating. What do you think compared to deer, elk, or moose?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnhames:

This was a ranch hunt in Oklahoma. The buffalo weighed about 1600#.

I did not see any indication that I hit the ribs. The first arrow hit the inside of the far elbow which kept it from going totally through the animal.

There are free ranging buffalo in Alaska. Unfortunately, it is almost next to impossible to get drawn for the buffalo hunt. There are three herds. Delta, Farwell and Copper River.

I hunted the Farwell burn in 1984, never saw a buffalo in 2 weeks since it was so hot. They left their normal range and went into the mountains where it was cooler and they were not accessible.

My prior experience in eating buffalo is what prompted me to harvest one for my personal usage. The meat is great. White tail is terrific, Elk is terrific if they have been browsing on the right foods, and I have yet to eat a bad moosie.

Alaska Sam:D

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
buffalo

Great trophy Sam! Thanks for posting pics.What state did you shoot that in??I'll be it was exciting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
AKDoug said:
Nice job Sam. I totally agree with you on the effectiveness of lighter draw weights coupled with good arrows and Magnus Stingers.
Yeah, but .....

think of how much deader he'd have been if Sam had used a Mathews. :D :D

JK!! What a great kill. There's a young fortune laying there. I think those little devils are selling for around $11 a pound in steak form around this part of the country. :eek:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Now I would like to see somebody do that from horseback with a longbow. Wouldn't that be an exciting hunt? Do they let you do that anymore?

Somebody other than me is going to have to do it though. I don't get along with horses very well.:D

Doc

·
Registered
547 Posts
WOW!!

Great job! Good eating!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
guys,
the website is: www.bowsafari.com

The owners Calvin & Deanna Farr are very nice people. I have been there a couple times. A double bull blind works GREAT!

Lots of animals of all kinds!

Here is my photo album from bowsafari. Click on the link:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=61242585

The prices are very reasonable i think. I have also heard alot of very good things about another place called Crazy Mo's. Here their website: www.crazymos.com

Rick

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
no problem. It is a really nice place. Around 1200 acres I think. They even had some waterbuffalo when i was there last time.

I have heard that crazy mo's is excellent too and another good place is Shiloh. Their website is: www.bowsite.com/shiloh

I dont think Shiloh has buffalo anymore but I am sure bowsafari and crazy mo's do.

rick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.