Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a scent free bug repellent? I've heard thermacells don't spook deer, but don't need another thing to carry into the woods.

Has anyone used the clothing treatment that cabelas sells that is not fo skin use?

I got torn up by bugs while walking my lease the other day and don't wanna deal with them come sept.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've heard permathrin (SP?) works well. You soak your clothes in it and it's supposed to last several washes i think. I believe that's what your talking about. I've seen it at walmart. I've used NO Stinkin' Bugs with mixed results. I've found that once i'm in the tree they usually don't bother me as bad, so i deal with it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My belief

Spiker said:
Do you think bug repellant will spook a deer?
I believe anything out of the ordinary will spoke deer. Even a thermacell will spoke them some of the time. Unless I just wasnt as careful as I thought I was that day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, that's the stuff...I got the spray on and it says when it dries it is scent free...guess there's only one way to tell.

I normally just suck it up with the bugs, but I'm hunting a swampy set of woods this season that are loaded with mosquitos and black flies until the first hard frost. Chiggers and ticks are around too.

I'll post up when I get some results.

I also got the under garmet that cabelas has that is similar to under armor. It's compression fitting and is supposed to wick moisture away and keep ticks and chigger from crawling up your leg and diggin in.

gosh I'm a sucker for new junk

-Dave

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I have a question for Scent Lok users.....if you were to spray down with for example "No Stinking Bugs" and then put your suit on, will it keep the spray smell in?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say it will.

I know of quite a few smells that never made it out of my pants last season, so I imagine the bug spray smell would stay in. as long as you're zipped up, I'd say you'll stay scent free.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The bad thing about spraying before putting the suit on is that the suit would work on soaking up the spray smell, and there probably wouldn't be much clean carbon to soak up human scent.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Permethrin

Treat your clothing, let it dry fully, and it won't spook deer. Works pretty well.
I am gonna try a therma cell this year for the few skeeters that just hover around your face and hands.
Good Luck

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Thermo Cell!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If you don't have room...make room! They work great! :wink:

You won't regret it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts