Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im thinking this weekend i will be building a workbench strictly for archery. Im looking for some advise on what i should add to it and what not. I drew up a sketch on sketchup and it will be 6ft long 2ft 6" deep 4ft high. I already have a bow vice, Fletching jig, Bowmaster press, and some t handle allen wrenches. Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 10.33.58 PM.jpg

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any advise guys

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Arrow cutter? Shelves for tools and parts.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
pvc tubes cut into top and capped on bottom for arrow holders.
Id make the center section flip like the old sewing machine stands years ago with arrow fletch jigs mounted to it for quick access.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pvc tubes cut into top and capped on bottom for arrow holders.
Id make the center section flip like the old sewing machine stands years ago with arrow fletch jigs mounted to it for quick access.
I like the flipping idea for the jig. I was also thinking about building an arrow saw and the back section is going to be peg board but sketchup didnt have that so i just did it as wood. I also plan to wire lighting under the top section and have 2 outlets one on each side and a power strip. I will add arrow holders. Trying to think of all the stupid little things i need.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Photo662.jpg Built this using a couple of 2x4s and two 4ft. pine stair treads. Arrow saw seen at far left.

Photo663.jpg Added the swing-away string jig supports so I can make strings. You can see the swing-away supports (swung out of the way) in the first picture.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the swing out idea for string jig. I like arrow saw. Looks like you need to build a bigger bench. Mine now is a old writing desk from the 80s. Barley fits my bow. Keep the ideas coming guys

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
It originally started as my arrow bench. I only added the swing out string jig arms yesterday. By the way, I mistakenly said it was 2 pine treads, but it's actually 3. There's one down at the bottom, a 2nd one for the shelf below the top (3rd).

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
An idea I was kicking around, can I somehow make a draw board on the table when I build it. I was thinking I could put the post that holds the bow grip on the left side of the table. Then the winch could go on right side at the back of the table. I could run the cable through eye bolts at the right front corner of the table at the appropriate height. Of course, this would require a fairly sturdy frame, something made of 2 X 6 boards maybe.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
One thing I really like about my new bench is I cut out a 2'x2' section built it up with a white dry erase board same level as the bench. Great for taking notes down and is still flat for working on if needed as well.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't know how tall you are, but a 4' high bench might be to high. I think most counter tops are about 32-33"

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My workbench is 36" high.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mines also going to be 36" high. Im thinking about adding a smaller bench vise and a outlet or 2. It gonna be a project this weekend to build it.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Lots of drawers or bins for small parts.

Drawers for smaller tools like fletching jigs.

Draw board on the front - removable if possible.

If it's against a wall, a pegboard for larger parts & tools.

Overhead, but out of the way, hooks for storing your bows.

Vacuum for the arrow saw. I hate having carbon dust on the bench or floor. Or worse in the air where it can be breathed. Carbon dust is not good for lungs.

Cup holders.

Since you have a bowmaster and not a stationary bow press, maybe a cradle to hold your bow while pressing it.

Hope this helps, & please post up pictures of the final product.

Allen

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm lazy I just bought an old kitchen table for 20 bucks at a yard sale and used it. I got a press, bow vise and arrow saw mounted on it. and I use old tackle boxes to store all my parts and tools.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of drawers or bins for small parts.

Drawers for smaller tools like fletching jigs.

Draw board on the front - removable if possible.

If it's against a wall, a pegboard for larger parts & tools.

Overhead, but out of the way, hooks for storing your bows.

Vacuum for the arrow saw. I hate having carbon dust on the bench or floor. Or worse in the air where it can be breathed. Carbon dust is not good for lungs.

Cup holders.

Since you have a bowmaster and not a stationary bow press, maybe a cradle to hold your bow while pressing it.

Hope this helps, & please post up pictures of the final product.

Allen
Good call on a draw board. Looks like im going to have a few projects to complete.

The height of the work area is 36" but the top shelf is 48". Im looking at getting some of those shop lights and wiring them under the top shelf along with a power strip. I think today im going to start building.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Good call on a draw board. Looks like im going to have a few projects to complete.

The height of the work area is 36" but the top shelf is 48". Im looking at getting some of those shop lights and wiring them under the top shelf along with a power strip. I think today im going to start building.
You answered my question about the height as 48" to working height is way too tall and you will have back problems working at that height.
36" is good because you can store arrow tubes UNDER the bench.
I built mine in an "L" shape using an old kitchen counter top and I layed a rubber mat on top to protect the bow's finish and prevent small screws from sliding off.
On the other leg of the bench I have a Lazy Suzan setup with six Bitz jigs for building arrows.
On either end of the bench are drafting lamps that I can swing over the bench when needed.
I mounted my drawboard on the BACK of the bench since my bench is NOT against a wall. To have it in front would take up too much room that I need for other things.
My vises are mounted on a SHELF, on the end of the bench, by my Bitz jigs. This allows me to lay the bow down in front of me and take advantage of the lights. And in between the vises I have mounted my Pro Bow Balancer for balancing out the bows stabilizers.
I do have a small work top and bins that was salvaged out of a work van and this works great as I have my linear press mounted to it, with pegboard behind it.
As to drawers I just use the small plastic drawer bins that you can buy at Wally World and sits on top of the bench, near the end by the wall.
I have multi-strips mounted under the bench for electric.
And of course screw in hangers in the ceiling for my bows.
I have my Sure Loc X-Press mounted on a stand with casters so that it can be rolled out of the way, as is my 4 ft X 4 ft Lifetime target. Another bag target hangs from the ceiling with the paper tune stand in front and my Chrono is mounted to a tripod and sits in front of the bag target when needed.
My string jig and stretcher is in another part of the basement due to length.
Back to the bench, I have small nails under the bench top that I hang my measure tapes from.
I also mounted a computer monitor on a swing stand behind the other part of the bench and put the computer under the bench with a keyboard tray under the countertop. You got to stay up with ArcheryTalk and it keeps me from having to run upstairs every time I need to check out some bow specs or something!
It is amazing how much stuff you can cram into a small space. It is basically a small island with everything surrounding me and it works well! IMAG1609.jpg IMAG1607.jpg IMAG1606.jpg IMAG1608.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
View attachment 1633125 Built this using a couple of 2x4s and two 4ft. pine stair treads. Arrow saw seen at far left.

View attachment 1633126 Added the swing-away string jig supports so I can make strings. You can see the swing-away supports (swung out of the way) in the first picture.
You have a very nice setup. Plus, if you built that yourself, you have some woodworking skills!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts