Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build a 19%+ FOC hunting arrow/broadhead combo

List the components you would use to build a 19% or more FOC arrow/broadhead combo. I would like the arrow to be between 500gr and 700gr.

60# Compound bow, 28 inch minimum arrow, at least 4" wrap, Could be vanes or feathers, must include a lighted nock.

Which Arrow shaft?
which Insert?
which Vanes/Feathers?
Which Broadhead?

I've been messing with this for a few hours and it is more difficult than I thought but I think some of you arrow gurus can help me out. I've come up with a couple options but I want to see what you guys come up with. I've been using the gold tip FOC calculator. https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Calculators/FOC-Calculator.aspx

Thanks

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I would like to know how much that wrap effects the FOC.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I dont have access to OT2 at the moment but you may look at the BE Rampage's. Possibly could do a 50 gr. + 100 gr. HITT insert with a VAP footer and 125 gr BH.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would like to know how much that wrap effects the FOC.
The wrap weights 4 grain so it does effect it a little. It all depends on your arrows. GPI. It effects it more the less GPI you have. I get you are probably saying it cant effect it enough to notice it and you already know what I am saying in regards to weight but just incase. To me its just like choosing a vane. so weigh a grain or so more so the extra 3 to 6 grains for all the vanes added up and a wrap can easily effect the FOC.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
What compound? Cam system will play into spine selection, my "off the top of my head" opinion would be....
300 spine GT Hunter
100gr brass insert/125gr head, 40gr of feathers, wraps and nocks gets you right around ~525gr and 18ish% FOC

Off the top.of my head but I'm usually close, everyone wants to shoot 600gr and 20% till they see the pin gaps.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
List the components you would use to build a 19% or more FOC arrow/broadhead combo. I would like the arrow to be between 500gr and 700gr.

60# Compound bow, 28 inch minimum arrow, at least 4" wrap, Could be vanes or feathers, must include a lighted nock.

Which Arrow shaft?
which Insert?
which Vanes/Feathers?
Which Broadhead?

I've been messing with this for a few hours and it is more difficult than I thought but I think some of you arrow gurus can help me out. I've come up with a couple options but I want to see what you guys come up with. I've been using the gold tip FOC calculator. https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Calculators/FOC-Calculator.aspx

Thanks
to get an accurate read on things need to know bow you are shooting (to get IBO) and what your draw length is. You need to know if the spine will work for the weight you are putting up front with your set up.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What compound? Cam system will play into spine selection, my "off the top of my head" opinion would be....
300 spine GT Hunter
100gr brass insert/125gr head, 40gr of feathers, wraps and nocks gets you right around ~525gr and 18ish% FOC

Off the top.of my head but I'm usually close, everyone wants to shoot 600gr and 20% till they see the pin gaps.
2013 Hoyt carbon element RKT 28" draw

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Yeah that would work out pretty well then

·
Registered
33 Posts
Black eagle Rampage 300 8.7 gr
75gr Hit insert or 100gr outsert
125 great head
Blazer vanes w/ wrap

I don't have any program to plug those numbers into but I'm thinking that may get you close to what ur looking for.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
buddy shoots a 450gr 19% foc arrow from a 60lb bow, 337ibo, 29" dl

bloodsport hunter 350 8.7gpi (his is 27", but spined ok at 28")
4gr wrap, 3 blazers, 14gr nock(standard CX nock)
100gr brass (3riversarchery.com)
100gr heads

depending on your lighted nock weight, that will get you close

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why? Same weight, Same spine, Same speed, carries same broadhead, fletching, ect. Why not aluminum?
I used to shoot aluminum back in the 80's and they are always getting bent or dinged. To me they are a PITA. Carbon is so much more durable. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Vap rip xv. 300 spine. 60gn ss outserts. 125+gn broadheads n whatever wrap n vane combo you want with igniter lighted nocks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
VAP TKO 350 @ 28 '', 4 gr wrap, 3 AAE Max Hunter vanes, std. nock, 95 gr SS Outsert and a 100 gr head = 485 grs and 18.75 FOC. Fly great, hit hard and penetrate very well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts