Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· <--- My first buck
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build your own top notch bow press for about $150.

This easily presses PSE X-Force bows from the 26" SS version and up plus the BowTech General through Commander with forked riser and anything else up to about 44" limb tip to limb tip.

Here is the link to the original post.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=750658

Best wishes.

· Registered
162 Posts
bow vise

I like your concept. I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your idea to make my own. I made a few modifications. The feet are moveable, that is they are able to position themselves to accomidate the angle of the limbs. I am also building everything instead of buying a jack.

I am still in the drawing phase and has not been proven yet. Opinions welcome

See attachment:

Attachments

· Registered
6,320 Posts
The CAD drawing is impressive! Very clean and precise. Although this press pictured is already built and sells for 600.00...

The one question I have for anyone is where would you get the wheel on this press for the crank :wink:

· Registered
162 Posts
press

I figure I can build the press for a lot less than 600.00. I haven't worked out all the figures yet, but I think I can build this thing for under 150.00.

The wheel can be bought on ebay for anywhere from $15.00 to $50.00 depending on what style wheel. This type of wheel is generally used for lathes and milling machines.

· Registered
466 Posts
I've thought about building myself one of these a while back, but never got around to it. I may just have to dig everything out again. I've already got some precision-threaded acme rod lying around (double-starts) and I can probably grab a wheel from work (old, junk lathes). The only thing I'd really have to decide how to make would be the nut for the threaded rod. I can't remember what size/pitch it is. I think I could make one with a small form and some left-over glass-bedding compound.

-WRM

· <--- My first buck
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you put the fingers to the front like the Last Chance or the EZ Press they flex outward and don't put the same pressure on both sides of the limb. That is why I put them on top so the pressure is always equal. It works fine.

Best wishes.

· Registered
162 Posts
fingers

The fingers that press the bow needs to be offset to the front of the press not over the top of it. Look at the last chance press.
I have made those changes already. I thought about that as I was building the fingers. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I assume that this is what your talking about.(see drawing)

Attachments

· Registered
162 Posts
The fingers that press the bow needs to be offset to the front of the press not over the top of it. Look at the last chance press.
Oh! I see what you are talking about. I looked at the last chance press, however I agree with Archer Dude. If you assemble the arms and fingers in front of the press I think you would have torque issues that will put uneven pressure on both limbs. That's why I like his idea.

· Registered
5,834 Posts
Oh! I see what you are talking about. I looked at the last chance press, however I agree with Archer Dude. If you assemble the arms and fingers in front of the press I think you would have torque issues that will put uneven pressure on both limbs. That's why I like his idea.
By putting them over the screw axis, you have to remove stabs and watch for sights etc. By offsetting them to the front you do NOT.

THrough proper choice of materials and gussetting there should be NO worry about flexing if its done right.

· Treestand Assassin
3,113 Posts
Where do you get the big screw thingy and/or how do you make it?????
Thats the part I guess I've missed. I like these presses and would like to make one.
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
467 Posts

· Registered
12,838 Posts
Here is mine...

I made mine similar, heavy duty, all sorts of adjustment...

Mine can be removed from a mounted bench recive and used at hunting camp in any truck hitch reciever.

It goes from 19" to 56"
Can be used righty, lefty, even vertical.

Not powdercoated yet... but soon:darkbeer:

· Registered
12,838 Posts
I like your concept. I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your idea to make my own. I made a few modifications. The feet are moveable, that is they are able to position themselves to accomidate the angle of the limbs. I am also building everything instead of buying a jack.

I am still in the drawing phase and has not been proven yet. Opinions welcome

See attachment:

Robinfly that looks great... the only recomendation... You will need lateral adjustment in the fingers for wider/narrower limbs.

JIM

· Registered
1,082 Posts
press

Here is mine...

I made mine similar, heavy duty, all sorts of adjustment...

Mine can be removed from a mounted bench recive and used at hunting camp in any truck hitch reciever.

It goes from 19" to 56"
Can be used righty, lefty, even vertical.

Not powdercoated yet... but soon:darkbeer:

Great looking press ! Couple of questions though:
What are the holes for in the "fingers" and are you going to put any protective coating on the ends of the fingers so as to not mar the bow finish ?

· Registered
12,838 Posts
Great looking press ! Couple of questions though:
What are the holes for in the "fingers" and are you going to put any protective coating on the ends of the fingers so as to not mar the bow finish ?
Yes, I built three presses... the one in the pic doesnt have it yet, but I went with a heavy duty felt to prtect the limbs from the fingers...

The holes are the best part. Ther are used to turn the press into a drawboard:D

Pics of that will come as soon as its finnished.

JIM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.