Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna build a couple bare shaft arrows for tuning purposes. I plan on using Black Eagle X-Impact arrows that i plan on shooting. I will be shooting a 4 fletch setup with AAE pro max vanes that weigh 4.7-4.9grains each vane. The 4 AAE pro max vanes will weigh around 18.8 - 19.6 grains. I remember taking electrical tape and wrapping around bare shaft where fletchings would go years ago. How do most of you build your bare shaft arrows? Do i need to add weight to the bare shaft to make it the same weight as fletch arrow? Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've only been in archery for 5 years but I have never added weight to the bare shaft. Seems to work just fine. This is at 20 yards

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
At the distance bare shaft tuning is done, you’re not going to see a noticeable difference in point of impact from a few grains difference of the fletching. If anything, adding tape to the back could cause wobble in the shaft if it isn’t applied perfectly even. I would just use a true “bare” shaft.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,690 Posts
I am not what you call a bare shaft tuner, but with no vanes the arrow is tad lighter. At 20 yards the bare shaft should impact with or a tad low of the fletched arrow.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I have two bareshafts with Gorilla tape on them. I weighted the tape to match the weight of the 3 blazer vanes on my fletched arrows. I have used bareshafts with no tape on them and saw no difference in performance.

·
Archery Addict
9,150 Posts
I usually buy a dozen new arrows each summer getting ready for bow season. I fletch up 10 and leave 2 arrows bare. If I use wraps on them, then all 12 get the wraps so after bareshaft tuning, I can fletch up the other 2 just in case I need them later. My quivers each hold 5 arrows hence why I fletch up 10.I just bareshaft tune at 20 yards and then it's on to the broadhead tuning.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,620 Posts
I am not what you call a bare shaft tuner, but with no vanes the arrow is tad lighter. At 20 yards the bare shaft should impact with or a tad low of the fletched arrow.
Not at 20 yards. 25 grains is 4 -8 FPS tops.......you won't see that at 20 yards.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,690 Posts
Not at 20 yards. 25 grains is 4 -8 FPS tops.......you won't see that at 20 yards.
I said with or a tad low of. Here's 10.7 grs difference. Don't remember how many shots, but a bunch of shooting.
arrow%20placement%20001-1[1].jpg

·
Registered
17,374 Posts
I shoot them out to 30 with no weight added, no difference for me. I am also more concerned with the way they enter the target, if they are way off it is obvious anyway.

Shooting bare shafts past 30 is tricky to say the least, you better be on your game! I always keep a couple handy and also nock tune each arrow and mark with a silver sharpie.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,690 Posts
I shoot them out to 30 with no weight added, no difference for me. I am also more concerned with the way they enter the target, if they are way off it is obvious anyway.

Shooting bare shafts past 30 is tricky to say the least, you better be on your game! I always keep a couple handy and also nock tune each arrow and mark with a silver sharpie.
You bet. Thing is bare shaft tuning at 20 yards is tough for many shooters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts