Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading till my eyes are crossed. Help? I am building a Bowfishing rig for carp. Ill be putting an AMS reel on the bow. Question, What bows are you folks using? Recommendations? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You can use about any old (free) bow you have that has strings and cables. I'm using a late 80's golden eagle. Backed off to 55 pounds. There are new bows that are designed for bow fishing also. The carp don't care if your shooting an antique or brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
There are some really cool video's on how to make a 60lb pvc recurve on youtube. I know a lot of guys use these. I've made light poundage ones for my kids, its pretty simple and lots of ways to customize it.....best of all its cheap

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Seems easy enough. Posting so I can find later

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes I would think one of the DYI PVC homemade bows would be a fun project. If it gets wet or beat up no big deal. If I had a place to shoot I would make one. I think you can build one pretty cheap. When you find a good plan let us know. I might build one too.

·
Oldschool Hunter
891 Posts
Yes I would think one of the DYI PVC homemade bows would be a fun project. If it gets wet or beat up no big deal. If I had a place to shoot I would make one. I think you can build one pretty cheap. When you find a good plan let us know. I might build one too.
Check the backyardbowyer on youtube for loads of PVC bow ideas.
Here's the link to his channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm using my old Onedia Strike Eagle(long paid for) with the $60 AMS bottle rig, a $15 Muzzy arrow/tip, and a $19 muzzy Banana rest(that's not the real name?????). If you shoot anywhere near a rocky bottom, do yourself a favor and get a few replaceable tips and a spare arrow. It kinda ruins the day when you have to leave because your tip broke.

Check out this site, if you already haven't...
http://bow.fishingcountry.com/forums/forum.php
You'll get all the info. you need plus the classified section is pretty good too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Oh, and aim low. The deeper the lower...You'll see what I mean.:wink:

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
OK after a long day of fishing it will have bounced off the bottom of the boat several times and be covered in fish slime. So what ever you use don't be too attached to it. I use an old Indian Wood riser compound. Don't be fooled into thinking it will float with a wood riser though. (they don't) So I've also strapped a couple of floatation devices to the side of it so when we flip the boat or I just plain drop it because of the fish slime it won't go straight to the bottom.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Gary: I ran into an old Onedia Strike Eagle at a local pawn shop and they still wanted a fortune for it. They wanted $150.00 and it was pretty beat, are they out of line????? I bought a old Martin Warthog Magnum for $10.00, it looked like new. went out and shot it, What a sweet old bow, no way I can take it oout to the water, so pretty that I am going to hang it on the wall. Bender: The float idea is super, I wonder is some of those foam tubs they us in pools would work?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I bought a brand new 2012 Mission Craze by Mathews for $250. bare bow. Spend thousand on a hunting bow so whats a little money on something good for bowfishing? Get what you pay for. Major ajustments on the Craze

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wheelie: You treat your fish pretty darn good up North, shooting something fancy like that. I see you shoot fingers, do you get any pinch with a short bow? I guess I was told that a person needed a longer bow when finger shooting.

·
Oldschool Hunter
891 Posts
What are some other OLD compound bow that I should be looking for?
You don't want anything with too much draw weight as you will tire too quickly, I recommend under 40#, nor should the bow itself be too heavy.
A lot of let-off is a big bonus too as its easy to hold at full draw.
Other than that, any bow will work just great, whatever you can get for a good price.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Had a mathews q2 that wasnt selling at the time so I said what the heck.I ordered some 50 lb limbs and sold my 70 lb limbs.been shooting it ever since. Works great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought a Jennings micro carbon extreme at my local shop for 30 bucks Bowfish1.jpg

Threw a spraycan paintjob and an ams retriever on it. Best bowfishing bow I've seen in my area bowfish2.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use several types to be honest i love the oneidas for bowfishing does not hurt them to snap shoot ( quarter draw shooting) however just need to be comfortable shooting alot..35. To 50 pound anymore and you tend to drive arrows through the fish into the mud or into logs or cat tails making it difficult to retrieve arrows.. Any compound or recurve/longbow with tapped riser will work .. Have fun carry extra arrows shoot straight

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here are a few of mine.... But I enjoy bowfishing more then bow hunting so I tend to spend a little bit on the bows I shoot... Yes they get used .. but you dont have to beat one up in a boat. I dont know why people assume you will toss your bow around in a boat and step on it lol. I have a padded deck i can lay the bow on or put it on a piece of carpet under the front deck on my boat. they hold up good and look great. If you want a great starter bow ... an old oneida is perfect... I would go for one of the H riser models vs the strike eagle as they are a little lighter and awesome finger shooters. here are some pictures of my bows..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Skippy: I found an old Onedia in a pawnshop, they are asking $200.00 for it and the best I could get them down to is $125.00. I thought that was to much for an old bow. What do you think? Your bows are beautiful, do you fix them up yourself? Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After doing a couple of quick searches on the net...it seems $125 is in the middle/high of the price range on the older Oneidas(bare). One thing I didn't mention is the Strike Eagle is a heavy bow with a wide grip, alot of people don't like shooting a bow that weighs close to 9# when all rigged up. For me that's a big plus(to each his own), but these bows draw like butter even at a higher draw weight. That's important when shooting all day/night. Either a smooth draw or lower draw weight(or both).

One thing about Oneida Archery( http://cponeidaeagle.com/ ) is they back their bows and are more than happy to answer any questions. And they've been around longer than alot of today's most popular bow companies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts