Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to our new property tomorrow and would like to setup a blind, but the owner said there's been problems in the past with stolen stands. So I figure I'll build a natural blind on the ground, but I don't know where to start. Any tips or photos you guys have to educate me?

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
i'm interested too...i've always just started piling limbs, and anything else I could find up and sit behind it. But I'm sure some people use some tactics I havn't tried. I don't hunt from the ground much though.

·
Registered Loser
10,371 Posts
I used some camo burlap I bought from Fleet Farm to help build one once. Makes it a lot quicker and there wouldn't be much reason to steal that stuff.

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used some camo burlap I bought from Fleet Farm to help build one once. Makes it a lot quicker and there wouldn't be much reason to steal that stuff.
how did you actually set the blind up? tie the burlap to branches on the ground or actually build something?

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
Camo netting works wonders and you can get it at any Military surplus fairly cheap. Take it with you when your done, no worries about theft either!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have built and hunted out of natural blinds for years. i have always built them from what ever was available. logs,limbs,vines. be sure to build it high enough to conceal your entire body. also build windows or shooting ports on the front and sides. i cut chunks out of a log and place them on both front corners and sides then continue to build off of them. this will give you the opening for windows

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics 25ft-up

I'm thinking of building it decently high, but i'd almost rather stand for the shot...guess I could practice sitting shots some more though

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I rarely build blinds for hunting except occasionally during spring turkey. We have Sooo much natural vegitation you just squat down & your concealed.

Having said that I have made blinds out of Grade stakes, Zip ties & chicken wire. pound in your stakes to your area ,zip tie the wire to the stakes then shove foiliage through the holes in the wire till its full. You could use metal T-post for a taller blind.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I go even simpler. find 3 or 4 pall diameter trees in a small group. I just take any random twine, chicken wire, rope, even strong fishing line and just make a semi circle with it around the trees. then lean lots of dead and down logs and sticks against the twine. can also get some high and make a roof if you want. Just remember to leave a door. i sometimes use burlap or netting for the door. whatever lanes you cut you can also use that brush. oak branches hold their leaves great. I make mine high enough to stand and shoot. I've gotten deer this way and its really fun. i gotta go to one of mine this weekend to get a cam I'll take pics. it takes about an hour to build a good one assuming branches and brush are closely available which they usually are.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I got some ASAT 3d leaf cut material. Comes in 5ft wide roll and sold by yard,EBay. I picked up 6yds and cut in half(2.5'x18') Just roll it up real tight and strap to pack(half the size of sleeping bag). Some small rope to tie up to trees or drape over several branches in a little opening or use branches as support rods. Quick easy and super portable. Works great to drape branches around treestand for max concealment

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome! Thanks for all the ideas

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried my hand at building a my natural blind today, i obviously see some holes... but i'm overall happy with it. Bought some camo burlap, but don't think i'll need that till the fall when the leaves die and change colors

·
Arrow Chucker
4,113 Posts
Use a tree to lean against and an ASAT leafy suit and disappear.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,267 Posts
I tried that...makes more noise than a tractor trailer. I have washed it a dozen times, put it in the dryer with sneakers and it sill makes a loud rustling sound.
try a couple cap fulls of scent free downy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts