Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me apologize for re-posting this from a couple years ago. I noticed my pictures were removed in the photobucket hosting nonsense. Just in case this may help someone, I will re-do the post and add the pics back in.

First, I ordered them from jerry at southshore. And as usual they are perfect.

Started with GT kinetic chaos 200 spine, 30"
White wrap, ssk 300 vanes.
These have the nock bushings as well.
Jerry squared and spine tested the arrows and installed the fletchings at 2* right helical

01.jpg

Jerry left out the inserts for me so I could build my aluminum footers and glue everything in later.

50gr HIT insert will be epoxied in behind a 50gr black eagle rampage in/outsert. Then a 1.75" piece of 2014 Al footer will epoxy everything together.

I don't have an arrow saw. So I cut the aluminum with a pipe cutter and used my RCBS case prep tool to deburr the ends.

03.jpg

Tried my best to square and clean up the ends of the footers with my drill and a file; and for the arrow shaft side I used my drill and file again to create a taper for easier arrow removal
05.jpg
04.jpg

TBC so I can add more pics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...
After cleaning the ends. On the front side I used a dremel cone bit to allow for my inserts to fit inside the footer better. The black eagle inserts have a slight taper out from the arrow shaft base to the end. You can see after the cone bit the insert fits farther in the footer.
06.jpeg

02.jpg

This is what it will look like after I epoxy everything into place. Due to the taper of the inserts I'll have to put the footers on the shaft and epoxy in the HITs and the black eagle inserts. The next day I'll epoxy the footers over it all. It'll be a few days before I'm completely done. I'll update later when I get more work done on them.

12.jpg

Jerry warned me that the black eagle inserts would be very very tight in the kinetics and I'd probably have to sand them down a bit. He was right. So I took some 60grit paper and used my arrow puller, chucked the insert in my drill and sanded it slightly.
Then using just hand pressure I lightly scuffed the HITs and the BEs wth the sandpaper

11.jpg

Used a rifle bronze bore brush to clean out / scuff the inside of the aluminum footers.

07.jpg

More to come...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
part 3:

Soaked everything in alcohol and laid out to dry. Cleaned out the ends of the carbon shafts, the footers with qtips. Placed the footers over the shafts with the tapered edge facing the fletchings. Once everything is dry I'll epoxy in the inserts using the HIT epoxy. After 24 hrs I will then slide the footers forward and epoxy then into place. I decided not to paint the aluminum. Decided I like the look as is.

13.jpg

Also pulled the nocks per Jerrys recommendation. To avoid pressure problems and the internal air pressure trying to force out the inserts.

HITs and black Eagles installed and epoxied.

View attachment 6520601

Now to wait 24 hrs and I'll use more HIT epoxy to install the footers.

After 12 hours or so I figured the epoxy was set good enough for the last step as I wouldn't be putting much pressure on the inserts.
So I very lightly sanded the end of the carbon and the steel with a piece of sandpaper cut to match the length of the footer.

View attachment 6520599

Cleaned them up with alcohol and mixed more HIT epoxy.

After drying I epoxied the end of the arrow and slid the footers in place. Twisting and moving back and forth slightly to spread the glue evenly. Wiped off the excess and tried to leave a small ring of epoxy around the tapered end nearest the fletchings.

10.jpg

Laid them flat for another 24 hours and I should have some pretty tough arrows!
14.jpg
 

·
Full Time Novice
Joined
·
7,300 Posts
Man thats going to be nice there. At your specs thats great. You guys with long arms really benefit from archery
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
Very nice! What broadheads will you be using with this setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I built these I went to South Africa and used Strickland helix 125s. They worked really well.

This year and for the foreseeable future I’ll be using Iron Wills unless they fail me or something better comes along. I have an elk hunt booked mid September and I can’t wait to put the heavies and the IWs to the test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
When I built these I went to South Africa and used Strickland helix 125s. They worked really well.

This year and for the foreseeable future I’ll be using Iron Wills unless they fail me or something better comes along. I have an elk hunt booked mid September and I can’t wait to put the heavies and the IWs to the test.
Nice, I'm intrigued with those Iron Wills so give us an update when you draw blood!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top