Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its undeniable that Arizona is home to some of the best Elk and Deer hunting in the country. I am considering starting to build points here, but on the other hand I feel like I might be better off investing my time and money into other states. I was wanting to see what the thoughts were of you guys that have hunted there in the past, or why you are or aren't applying in Arizona. Thanks!

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
At some point, I may start to build points for elk... and then make a yearly trip for a coues and javilina hunt until I draw.
Having to buy a $150 Arizona hunting license every year just to apply is kind of hard to stomach! If I do that, I want to go down there and hunt something.
As it is, I have a big bull spot in Wyoming that I'm working on.
All that and the fact that there's only so much a guy can do in a year and still run his own business!

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
There were only 4 units for archery Elk in 2011 that had any measurable NR tags left after the 20% pass because of the 10% NR cap. Those units only had 16, 12, 15, and 28 tags available for the 1-2 pass. It won't take very many people to switch to those units to lock them up. Other than those units you are essentially buying points till you hit the max pools for your chosen hunt. With online CC apps starting this year, I would expect the max pools to increase in required point levels as this years applicants move thru the system.

If you can be happy hunting units 4-6 I would say dive in.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Bob:

Where did you see that information at? Just curious.......I know two bowhunters who drew archery bull elk tags with 0 points........and it wasn't in any of those units. Just curious.

Dixie07:

I've been drawn three times in the last 20 years for archery bull elk. Could probably have drawn the last year, but I chose points only since I didn't like the archery elk dates. I will probably draw this year with 8 BP's (6 points, 1 PBP, 1 Loyalty) and the dates are much better this year. The key to Arizona elk is learn to hunt the "not so popular" elk units. 8, 9, 10, 6, 27, 1, are fairly popular units......thus difficult to draw without a ton of points. If you buy the "expensive" stat book from AZ, you'll see that some units have much better odds of drawing........especially if you have a few points. These units you can draw about every 5-7 years and hunt bulls in the 290-340" range. Since you have to buy the license, utilize it for the year........Dec/Jan desert rut hunt for mule deer / coues deer is an awesome hunt. Not much else going on that time of year either.......great weather, good bucks, and public land. Yup, to me AZ is worth putting in for.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I've been thinking about starting to build elk points. I just found out that a friend of mine has a cabin in the White Mountains. How long on average does it take to draw a tag in that area? Someone said you have to buy a license for $150 just to apply. What's the total cost per year to get a point?

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I've been thinking about starting to build elk points. I just found out that a friend of mine has a cabin in the White Mountains. How long on average does it take to draw a tag in that area? Someone said you have to buy a license for $150 just to apply. What's the total cost per year to get a point?
$152 + $7.50 for each point per species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob:

Where did you see that information at? Just curious.......I know two bowhunters who drew archery bull elk tags with 0 points........and it wasn't in any of those units. Just curious.

Dixie07:

I've been drawn three times in the last 20 years for archery bull elk. Could probably have drawn the last year, but I chose points only since I didn't like the archery elk dates. I will probably draw this year with 8 BP's (6 points, 1 PBP, 1 Loyalty) and the dates are much better this year. The key to Arizona elk is learn to hunt the "not so popular" elk units. 8, 9, 10, 6, 27, 1, are fairly popular units......thus difficult to draw without a ton of points. If you buy the "expensive" stat book from AZ, you'll see that some units have much better odds of drawing........especially if you have a few points. These units you can draw about every 5-7 years and hunt bulls in the 290-340" range. Since you have to buy the license, utilize it for the year........Dec/Jan desert rut hunt for mule deer / coues deer is an awesome hunt. Not much else going on that time of year either.......great weather, good bucks, and public land. Yup, to me AZ is worth putting in for.
Thanks for the input! So are the Coues deer tags OTC or just relatively easy to draw?

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
Bob:

These are the only "early archery" units that had tags after the 20% pass because of the 10% NR cap. Based on the reports the only way for a NR to draw a different unit with 0 points is if the unit's max point pool hits 0 points or if the hunt is a late archery hunt.
For the info, I spent a lot of time on the phone and filed numerous FOIA requests.

It's always possible that the report is incorrect also.

the units:

3131, 3B, 6 TAGS

3132, 4A, 16 TAGS

3133, 4B, 12 TAGS

3135, 5BN, 15 TAGS

3136, 5BS, 2 TAGS

3137, 6A, 28 TAGS

3138, 6B, 3 TAGS

3139, 7E, 4 TAGS

3144, 11M, 3 TAGS

3145, 11M, 6 TAGS

3146, 16A, 1 TAG

3147, 19A, 1 TAG

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Thanks for the input! So are the Coues deer tags OTC or just relatively easy to draw?
The deer tags are OTC in Dec and Jan. but not in every unit. Mostly all the sourthern units that don't get much snow. All the roads are usually closed up north in the higher elevation.

You will have to buy a license which I believe is 150 bucks. You can thank United States Outfitters for that! It is possible to draw tags every 5 years or so, Just stay away from popular units like 9 and 10. Basicly everything BO HNTR said.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I have a passion for elk.........and one day........BIG elk. I have 8 points for elk and 4 for deer in AZ. I am going to cash in my elk points in 2014 and hopefully get a tag, not sure on the deer yet. Yes, it's expensive, by the time I get the tag I will have close to $1,600 invested in the elk hunt..........but I have to do it at least once. :)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Lien2... yeah $1,600... it is rough but thank god I can just jump the border and go on those OTC Archery hunts.. otherwise it would be hard to stomach...
Jealous. :( It's the price I pay for where I live..........not an elk for hundreds of miles..........but boy do we have coyotes. :) And a few deer.........

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I bought number 9 this year! I am getting closer! :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
These are the only "early archery" units that had tags after the 20% pass because of the 10% NR cap. Based on the reports the only way for a NR to draw a different unit with 0 points is if the unit's max point pool hits 0 points or if the hunt is a late archery hunt.
For the info, I spent a lot of time on the phone and filed numerous FOIA requests.

It's always possible that the report is incorrect also.

the units:

3131, 3B, 6 TAGS

3132, 4A, 16 TAGS

3133, 4B, 12 TAGS

3135, 5BN, 15 TAGS

3136, 5BS, 2 TAGS

3137, 6A, 28 TAGS

3138, 6B, 3 TAGS

3139, 7E, 4 TAGS

3144, 11M, 3 TAGS

3145, 11M, 6 TAGS

3146, 16A, 1 TAG

3147, 19A, 1 TAG
There is an error somewhere. I hunted unit 9 and talked with a couple different camps of out-of-state hunters.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
I'm willing to bet the mistake is with the nr that said they had zero points and drew 9. All I can do is go off the draw reports, one shows all nr tags going in the 20% pass, the 1_2 pass report shows zero tags available.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Bob:

I misinterpreted your first post (long day and no comprehension skills :) )......those numbers look fairly accurate. The two guys that drew with zero points was for unit 5BN.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have 6 points for elk with my newly acquired loyalty point! I'm planning on taking the hunters ed course when we get back from Hawaii (3 years). That will give me 10 points! Still holding out for a premium unit in AZ, then second tier units after that. I have to admit, I won't pass up a 340" bull with my bow no matter how awesome the unit is. Good luck this year Roy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts