Archery Talk Forum banner

Building strings & cables

485 3
Well ive been thinking about trying to build my own strings and cables dose anyone have any suggestions on whitch string jig to buy? ive been looking at the BYC is it good or is their better? also how many strings can you get out of a 1/2 lb of 452x on the average i know it will verry due to length.and the serving what kind do i get is Halo about the best or is their better? like i said im just starting out so any imput will help

Thanks Brian
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15,839 Posts
1/4 lb Serving Spool lengths
2000 linear feet is on one spool. This equates to 1090 inches of 22 strand string or 1000 inches of 24 strand string

I consider my string jig to be the best in the world for the average string builder. However, I am currently on back order.

· Registered
6,320 Posts
I will second that...
"Deezlin" 's jig is possibly the best I have ever used. The ability to serve your strings under specific tension is awesome. The Jig itself is built way beyond solid...Bulletproof comes to mind! A Great product!
I have used the dream machine and a few other home brew string jigs and would prefer the little john jig anyday!

· Registered
4,821 Posts
I make my own, but I think if I was starting over again I wouldn't. I started diong it years ago when I had to outfit 4 bows in the family and the commercial strings where junk. This was years ago. I now have to keep 1 bow rebuilt yearly while the other 3 in the family don't get the use that they did in the past (college age kids, wife backed off a bit). Commercial strings are great and there are string builders making quality strings all over the place.

The jig will run you money and the spool and serving material will run money, then the time you need to build the string and cables.

With the number of quality strings available, I'd probably skip this part now.

However if you like doing it and have the time, it is satisfying to do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.