Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I changed up the design a little, fitted a 4x lens and used almost 3 ft of .019" fiber optic. Total cost is about $15 in material and a lot of hours of tinkering.

The body is a PCV fitting.

The +.50 diopter lense blank is from a local optical lab and I bought the fiber optic material off of the internet.

This isn't all that difficult and a lot of fun.

Good luck.

sawdust2

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For Asking

I have no plans to make and sell these scopes, they are just for personal use and one more excuse go get out in the garage and tinker. As to a tutorial, I'll see what I can do when I make the next one.

Good luck.

sawdust2

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Wow, very impressive:shade:..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks very nice

·
Registered
987 Posts
How do you hold the lens?
BTW great scope for pennies..................:darkbeer:

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Very nice job

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do u have to use a clarifer peep with the scope? Looking everywhere now for a lens. Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lense Items

The polycarbonate lens blank was $10. I used a 1/4" ring off of another fitting that just fits inside this one to hold the lens. It is a close fit and secured with three 4-40 set screws. As to a clarafier, I don't think one will be needed with a 4x lens.

Good luck.

sawdust2

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Where does one find the lens blank???
GREAT JOB!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lense Blanks

I purchased my blanks from a local optical lab. They are the ones that actually grind, cut and fit your lenses per the doctors prescription. Check the phone book or ask a local optometrist. Another source is Zenni Optical, this is an on line source for prescription glasses.

For more details on obtaining and cutting the lens look at this AT post. Unk Bond got me started on the idea of doing my own lens. Post #55, 59, 60 and 61 deal with Zenni and the glasses and prescription to order. For $10 you can have two lenses. I have not used this source but don't see why it wouldn't be just fine for our purpose.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1097950&highlight=Unk

Post #97 shows my first attempt at a complete scope.

Good luck.

sawdust2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts