Archery Talk Forum banner

Built another stand

832 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Scottie14823
Today my nephew stopped over with a pattern to building a ladder stand with foot platform and a seat....

So he headed to the hardware store and bought five 12' 2x4s... while I got out the chop saw,drill press,3" screws,framing square,tape measure,and the hand drill...

Made it in little over a 1 1/2 hours... he didn't like the 12' high platform, so we cut the legs to 10'....
steps 12 inches long ,foot platform is 18x18,and the seat are actually it Bigger so he can stand on it to shoot also...seat area 18x20"...

Boys with bright idea's... Below the Top platform we had to screw on another sheet of plywood under the 2x4 so he would have a storage Box with a hinged up seat.. that was neat, Then he talked me into a Toilet for it also and a way to carry his gear to the stand... So we added a Hole in the Lower sheet under the seat for a bucket to set in..He said the Bucket he can carrier his calls,lures,bottle of water and extra gloves and such to the spot in.. and then it stores out of the way, and with all Out of the Bucket he can slip a small bag into it and have a bathroom.. I about laughed myself..

But all in all, It is dang strong and he said he got all the lumber for under 25.00 But we didn't use all 5 of the 12' 2x4s.

He wants to make a 12 foot high one tomorrow....I told um' to late all hardware stores are closed sundays silly, so I guess we will make it monday evening...

I Had him along to help Boost me up so I could climb a neighboring tree where a fella stole my loc on stand so I could retreive my last three screw in steps and also gather my rope......

We Didn't take Pics... But tomorrow nephew and I are heading back to the woods to Grab the base of my old baker climber so that I can Match up the upper area to climb trees with and Not leave a hot spot with a tree stand over night..I'll get Pics of the ladder stand ... He didn't want to Paint it,as he wants it to age with weather..

So I can cart home my stuff and leave Thiefs nothing...

Best wishes all
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Today my nephew stopped over with a pattern to building a ladder stand with foot platform and a seat....

So he headed to the hardware store and bought five 12' 2x4s... while I got out the chop saw,drill press,3" screws,framing square,tape measure,and the hand drill...

Made it in little over a 1 1/2 hours... he didn't like the 12' high platform, so we cut the legs to 10'....
steps 12 inches long ,foot platform is 18x18,and the seat are actually it Bigger so he can stand on it to shoot also...seat area 18x20"...

Boys with bright idea's... Below the Top platform we had to screw on another sheet of plywood under the 2x4 so he would have a storage Box with a hinged up seat.. that was neat, Then he talked me into a Toilet for it also and a way to carry his gear to the stand... So we added a Hole in the Lower sheet under the seat for a bucket to set in..He said the Bucket he can carrier his calls,lures,bottle of water and extra gloves and such to the spot in.. and then it stores out of the way, and with all Out of the Bucket he can slip a small bag into it and have a bathroom.. I about laughed myself..

But all in all, It is dang strong and he said he got all the lumber for under 25.00 But we didn't use all 5 of the 12' 2x4s.

He wants to make a 12 foot high one tomorrow....I told um' to late all hardware stores are closed sundays silly, so I guess we will make it monday evening...

I Had him along to help Boost me up so I could climb a neighboring tree where a fella stole my loc on stand so I could retreive my last three screw in steps and also gather my rope......

We Didn't take Pics... But tomorrow nephew and I are heading back to the woods to Grab the base of my old baker climber so that I can Match up the upper area to climb trees with and Not leave a hot spot with a tree stand over night..I'll get Pics of the ladder stand ... He didn't want to Paint it,as he wants it to age with weather..

So I can cart home my stuff and leave Thiefs nothing...

Best wishes all
i'm not sure why, but man this is one funny post!! the toilet part surely covers it all:darkbeer:

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sits In Trees next door... I Will .. I have to go to the taxidermist shop in the a.m. and then him and his boys are heading to the Avon N.Y. Sportsmen show....

So I will have the time to scout off and gather pics.. I hope he doesn't need to use it when we arrive...Nephew that is... He he scatting on screen...

I hear there is another Sportsmen show coming up next weekend at the Wilkons RV in Bath/Savona N.Y. Area.... They claim from the add in the local Paper it's to be the BIGGEST Sportsmen show in N.Y......

But I have heard that the Sportsmen show in Herkimor N.Y. is a huge one with guns,archery gear,traps,lures,decoys,camo and so on... I never been to it myself...

anyhow back on the stand.. I'll gather a few pics and such, It right now to me * stands out like a sore thumb* yet deer don't get as spooked by structures compared to a Humen Figure or outline....

He plans to only shotgun hunt out of it ..as he hates to Bow hunt from a stand... Atless he will have a bathroon on the hillside to travel to... he never did install a toilet paper holder.. so I hope he has extra Old papers in his wallet.. he he

Best wishes

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Sits In Trees next door... I Will .. I have to go to the taxidermist shop in the a.m. and then him and his boys are heading to the Avon N.Y. Sportsmen show....

So I will have the time to scout off and gather pics.. I hope he doesn't need to use it when we arrive...Nephew that is... He he scatting on screen...

I hear there is another Sportsmen show coming up next weekend at the Wilkons RV in Bath/Savona N.Y. Area.... They claim from the add in the local Paper it's to be the BIGGEST Sportsmen show in N.Y......

But I have heard that the Sportsmen show in Herkimor N.Y. is a huge one with guns,archery gear,traps,lures,decoys,camo and so on... I never been to it myself...

anyhow back on the stand.. I'll gather a few pics and such, It right now to me * stands out like a sore thumb* yet deer don't get as spooked by structures compared to a Humen Figure or outline....

He plans to only shotgun hunt out of it ..as he hates to Bow hunt from a stand... Atless he will have a bathroon on the hillside to travel to... he never did install a toilet paper holder.. so I hope he has extra Old papers in his wallet.. he he

Best wishes
yea there are some great sportsman shows, i wish i had time to get to more of them, as far as paper maybe just nail an old phone book to the tree:wink:

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laughing Hard ....

that Boy sure is on that cell phone alot texing classmates and such... He may Order a Pizza and ask why it's been 2 hours late and ask if they need a ride to his location on the atv... Laughing hard....

I am sure he will talk uncle scott into making a small wooden box for a roll of paper out of the rain. yet he forgot to add a lid on that Bucket toilet..And dang thats bucket will scratch the fanny up ..As Plywood has some splinters...

I Have gone to the Little Valley N.Y. Sportsmen show.. real small one yet a great fun time....Can Normally find cheap heavy duty rachet tie downs and broadheads and other archery gear deals at them shows.....

Take care

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raining out, Not sure I will get the chance today to get some pics of the ladder stand .. or even go pick up the climber base and also brother in law wanted one of his tree seats brought down from the woods , so that I can make up three-to- five more ...so we all have spares to use...

And I don't want to get a chest or head cold prior to season...

So I may have to wait till W or th to get this all done....

Best wishes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.