Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building 3 arrows for Turkey hunting. I'm using 125 grain magnus bullheads. Bow is Hoyt Carbon element at 29" 60 #. Full length Rampage 300 spine arrows. i know these bullheads like stiff arrows but I have a choice of using 50 grain, 110 or 150 grain inserts. I figure a balance between stiffness and FOC for accuracy. Anybody have any experience with these setups would be appreciated. :wink:

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,481 Posts
I would use the standard 12 gr inserts, no need to go heavy, excessive FOC does not increase accuracy

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Use hot glue and try em all, high foc may help steer those suckers?

4 4 inch heical feathers work best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the 50 grain insert they came with. 4 fletch total weight 496 grains. Ill try sighting them in this week.

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
Bullheads steer very nicely, easier to tune than most coc heads. My deer arrows are in the 22-23% FOC range. My turkey arrows are around 9% and fly like darts. Ive found keeping the shaft as stiff as possible is your best bet

·
Beer Whisperer
11,228 Posts
Wouldn’t hurt to try something different I guess but they tune just fine for me with the standard inserts. The reason they use such a stiff shaft is that they’re made so long for clearance out front.

·
Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,579 Posts
Ive found keeping the shaft as stiff as possible is your best bet
^^^This right here is the answer. Get the stiffest spine you can get and you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am using Rampages .300 full length. Over the last few days I shot it out of my 3 bows and it seems my Carbon Element at 54 # 29" shoot best. Next comes the bullhead and a pillow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts