Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a very nice looking recurve for sale on ebay and we bid on it and won it for what I thought was a great price. After we got the bow in we looked at it and the bottom limb was twisted so far out of line that I was afraid to even think of stringing it up.

We sent emails to the seller and he said that it wouldnt matter and if we werent happy with it then we should just put it back on ebay for sale and get rid of it. His last reply was "Settle it on ebay dispute because it is in perfect condition and I am tired of everyone trying to get something for nothing..."

So we did, and ebay took our side and gave us a percentage of our money back but now we have a very nice looking twisted bow and my question is that if anyone knows a way to get it back shootable or is it just better off as a decoration.

If you look down the center of the bow the bottom limb tip is 1.25 inches off center.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Josh Mathes

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What kind of bow is it?

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Get some string or cord, put the bow in a vise with padding around the handle to protect it from damage. Tie the string to the twisted limb at the string groove and pull the the limb back slightly passed the straight postion and tie it down that way and leave it for about a month. I've saved several twisted limb bows that way.

·
Banned
729 Posts
Post this in the traditional archery section. Those guys will surely be able to help. I've read several threads similiar to this and remember some people posting about using hair dryers or putting the bow in a bathtub with hot water for a few minutes and then twisting them back straight. I don't really know the particulars of this,but they do! You may also do a search over there and find some useful info.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My brother-in-law twisted a limb on my custom made recurve by trying to string it the wrong way after I showed him the right way. I just heated up the limb evenly with a hair dryer and worked it back straight. That was many years ago and it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It might be get okay. Hot water works wonders. fill your bath tub with the hottest water you can. soak the twisted limb in it. apply pressure to the twisted limb in the direction it needs to be ,for about ten minutes or so. O yea I did mine when it was strung .And let it cool and see what it did. Sometimes it will take a few times to get it where it needs to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts