Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read on this forum the more I learn, The more I learn the more confused I get? :confused: I am constantly trying to compare my setup, my speed, my accuracy to others to make sure I understand everything I can to make a better more true flying arrow. (Searching for that "mystical flight of the arrow". T.Nugent). I just began archery and this forum 11 Post I think, and wow to much to do. Should I extend my draw to get more speed, remove peep and rubber tubing to quiter the bow, replace from blazers to mini blazers or replace Hostage rest to solve clearance problems, is my setup safe good and the right arrow lengths grns for the best performance or can I go lighter, should I drop draw weight and go lighter arrow to get same speed or more with an easier draw or will I lose K.E., but more speed = KE? Or should I just shoot the darn bow! If anyone experience to help answer these question, have a drink on me.:cocktail:. I shoot a Black Ice 27" draw 70#lbs Easton ST Epics 400, 100grn tip, 250 fps. The bow is accurate when I shoot it correctly.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Don't get crazy over your set up. If your draw length is correct for you don't change it to get more speed. Same goes with draw weight. Archery is a game of variables. There is no one best bow, or arrow or rest. There is only what works best for you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't get crazy over your set up. If your draw length is correct for you don't change it to get more speed. Same goes with draw weight. Archery is a game of variables. There is no one best bow, or arrow or rest. There is only what works best for you.
Amen.
Set the bow up the way "YOU" want it. There is a lot of good info here on AT but dont get crazy changing your set up every time you read about somebody else's setup.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Keep in mind, the bow will repeat its self if you do the same thing in each shot.

If your groups are very tight when you are fresh and strong, during the first few arrows, you know that the bow is OK.
From there its a matter of good form, and quality practice.

Have fun with archery, its fun at all levels of shooting.

When you're ready, the intensity of tuning will be a large part of the fun, and you'll be hungry for it, but for now the bow will repeat, only if you shoot it.

Hang in there, have fun

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Don't let these clowns try to distract you from your obsession!! :wink: Live, breath and lust for all things archery related!!!! :wink: :tongue:

·
Registered
141 Posts
T-Mike,
Deep breath...........sounds like you're trying to think about it all at once and when that happens, you usually just get frustrated. I try and think of the years I've been shooting as a journey. You learn more, you make changes, you adapt, you get better. I don't think it's good to compare too critically, because you shooting your bow is a unique situation. Perhaps you need to take a step back. What do you like about your shooting and what don't you like? What do you think needs improving and what is good? Make a list and tackle each item one at a time. If you don't think making a change will really increase your accuracy or efficiency, then don't do it. You said the bow is accurate when you shoot it "correctly". Then why not concentrate on improvements with your form and aiming? Remember, archery is supposed to be fun, so don't turn it into work. You know what they say...you never find anything when you look for it too hard.....well, at least I say that........relax, enjoy and the mystical flight will find you on it's own........

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The more I read on this forum the more I learn, The more I learn the more confused I get? :confused: I am constantly trying to compare my setup, my speed, my accuracy to others to make sure I understand everything I can to make a better more true flying arrow. (Searching for that "mystical flight of the arrow". T.Nugent). I just began archery and this forum 11 Post I think, and wow to much to do. Should I extend my draw to get more speed, remove peep and rubber tubing to quiter the bow, replace from blazers to mini blazers or replace Hostage rest to solve clearance problems, is my setup safe good and the right arrow lengths grns for the best performance or can I go lighter, should I drop draw weight and go lighter arrow to get same speed or more with an easier draw or will I lose K.E., but more speed = KE? Or should I just shoot the darn bow! If anyone experience to help answer these question, have a drink on me.:cocktail:. I shoot a Black Ice 27" draw 70#lbs Easton ST Epics 400, 100grn tip, 250 fps. The bow is accurate when I shoot it correctly.
This is the most important part. Your proper draw length is what it is. If you change to an incorrect draw length, you will not be able to shoot accurately. I personally don't care for the rubber tubing on peeps. They can break and pop you pretty good in the face, not to mention that it slows the arrow speed. Employ proper form and technique, have fun, and everything will start to make more sense. There are a lot of variables, too many to take in to consideration for someone new to the sport. Starting with a proper draw length bow is critical. Just practice and have fun with it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all, very good advice taken. I just want everything to be perfect when I release that arrow and try to take my first deer. I shoot almost daily and I am noticing a few things that bother me. just not knowing what would be the right fix or what i should be expecting is the confusing part. I went to BP today to get a rubberless peep, and I shot with the archery tech first and he told me not to touch a thing. I hit the X centered first shot. I showed him how the blazer fletch was hitting the Hostage rest and he never noticed that issue before, we looked at other bows in store and they all were very tight clearance if any. But the arrow flew where i was aiming?

·
Registered
819 Posts
The most improvement you will ever see is in building the better archer vice the better equipment.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Thanks to all, very good advice taken.
One thing I will caution you about AT. Just because someone posts on the board doesn't mean they are an expert.:wink: I've seen a lot of bad information posted. After you've been on the board a while, you'll figure out who the good posters are. There are LOTS of very knowledgeable members on this board. Too many to name them all.

Good luck on your journey.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,619 Posts
T-Mike:

Simple fix.

Keep the bow exactly the way it is right now,
and shoot for 30 calendar days.

You are a dedicated shooter,
and you are practicing nearly daily.

If your body, or any body part, says it's starting to hurt,
then slow down on your training and take a day off.

Keep track of your point of impact patterns.
Easiest way is to keep the target paper, and write the date.

Practice at one distance that is comfortable for you for the entire 30 day session.

Write down the date and the distance on the target paper.

This way, you can keep track of arrow impact patterns
and you can also track your progress.

After 30 days,
then ask a question, about your target impact patterns,
and then we can give you some ideas
for ONE change,
for you to try,
for another 30 days.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
T-Mike - nuts&bolts is one of those posters that you should listen to. :wink: IMO he is one of the most knowledgeable members here
T-Mike:

Simple fix.

Keep the bow exactly the way it is right now,
and shoot for 30 calendar days.

You are a dedicated shooter,
and you are practicing nearly daily.

If your body, or any body part, says it's starting to hurt,
then slow down on your training and take a day off.

Keep track of your point of impact patterns.
Easiest way is to keep the target paper, and write the date.

Practice at one distance that is comfortable for you for the entire 30 day session.

Write down the date and the distance on the target paper.

This way, you can keep track of arrow impact patterns
and you can also track your progress.

After 30 days,
then ask a question, about your target impact patterns,
and then we can give you some ideas
for ONE change,
for you to try,
for another 30 days.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
T-MIKE,

You haven't gotten your BS filter installed for AT yet. Once you figure out the bashing and opinionated slants to filter out the info you're looking for, it'll help. It doesn't help that we archers are so anal, and that there is sooooo much info available. We talk ourselves into stuff and habits that we don't need. I tell our customers that archery is all about confidence. Your belief in yourself if the most important thing before every shot.

You have a great bow set-up. Shoot with guys you respect, listen and observe. I've learned more in the last 5 years shooting with a good group of guys than in the previous 35 shooting by myself. The other key is not to put so much pressure on yourself, and just enjoy the sport. I always shoot better when I'm relaxed and enjoying. Best of luck and good shootin'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts