Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been thinking about laying down $300 to buy a Bushnell Scout and heard someone out there comment that these rangefinders really drain a battery fast.....is it true??

Can anyone comment on battery life for the Bushnell Scout (normal use hunting say 2-3 times a week). My sense is that the battery for the Scout isn't cheap either.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Yardage Pro model & would recommend yanking the battery out of it when finished each day. Definately store it away without the battery in. They seem to drain a battery while not even operating it.
Not sure why they drain a battery so fast but one should last you atleast season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery Drain!

I also use a bushnell scout, and they eat batteries if not removed. Sure would like to know why? It can get expensive, but the worst part is they can fail when you need them the most????

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Robinhood,I have the scout and it does drain a battery pretty fast. It's like Lowly said,you could probably pull the battery but I don't.It always makes it throgh deer & turkey season alright,but it will need a new battery at the beginning of the year.All that said I think you would be happy with one,just wished the battery lasted longer.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Hey guys, bushnell had problems with the scouts eating batteries when they first came out. The problem has since been fixed. I thought that bushnell would fix your scout if it had that problem.

I bought a new scout last august and I am still on the original battery. I have not removed it from the rangefinder yet. It still shows full battery too.

That little scout outperforms any rangefinder I have ever owned.:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Any additional info?

I bought one of the early models (before camo came out) and the thing is awesome EXCEPT FOR THE BATTERIES. If anyone has some contact info I would love to get ahold of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
ruddbow, I can remember a thread on another hunting site last year that talked about this same topic. If my memory serves me correctly,(and this time I think it does:D )people were contacting Bushnells service dept. and were getting newer style units in exchange for theirs.

I looked at every rangefinder available, and liked the scout better than any other model, brand, regardless of price. When the word came out that the battery drain problem was fixed, I bought one.
13 months later, I am still on the same battery.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks Big Country,I do hope you're right.But if you're not,it's still a great rangefinder.

·
Registered
437 Posts
For others that have the older model

In the US
800-423-3537 ( a little wait on hold but worth it)
The rep I spoke with said they will send an order out within this week. You will eventually receive a different battery cover that has an on/off switch and this will take care of the short battery life problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damn, this forum is GREAT!! I never would have thought to see if they addressed the problem. Matter of fact, I thought it was only mine that did it.
Thanks for the info. (and the original question)
John

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is a great place to learn things! It sure is tiresome removing & replacing the battery all the time. Thanks to everyone for the info. Vern

·
Registered
181 Posts
YEP!

I just called bushnell and in less than 5 min.I have a battery cover on the way.And very pleasant to talk to I might add.Thanks

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Bushnell Range finders

I have a yardage pro 500 and it eats batteries. I called 3 times and the first two times they sent me battery covers for Pro Scouts. The third time they finally got the right battery cover, but it was exactly the same cover that was on my rangefinder already. I thought what the heck and tried it. NO GOOD...still ate up the battery. Called a fourth time and they said I have to send it in for repair. I guess that will be after archery season.

Sounds like a major problem with Bushnell range finders that they need to get worked out. It is crap that we have to take the battery out after every use. I paid good money for my range finder, and what did I get in return? This has been an ongoing problem for sometime, not just a few months, but years.

:mad:

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Crusher, sorry to hear about your bad deal with Bushnell. I had a yardage pro 500 for three years, and only had to replace the battery one time. I never removed it either. I sold the 500 last year when I got the scout. Sold it to one of my engineers. He is still using it with no problems.

I guess some problems don`t get worked out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So is it NOW safe to buy a Bushnell Scout??

Thanks for the many replies.

The bottom line is it safe to now buy a Bushnell Scout without worries about getting a model that drains batteries fast?

Or would I still have to order to battery turn off switch?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
437 Posts
your o.k.

I think this pertained to the older models only. I think they re-designed the battery lid. Any "new style" owners out there?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a yardage pro 500 had it 5 years now changed the battery two times. Just pulled it out of my back pack monday and the battery is still good.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
My scout is the new style, as I stated above. I know of about 5 other hunting buddies who have the new style also. None of them had any problems. Also know a few guys with the older model like ruddbows, and they chewed up batteries fast.

I doubt you could find an old style one anymore. New, that is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts