Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had a deer bust you: snorted, blew, etc, but then later had an opportunity at another one?

Last night, early season, I had a deer bust me around 5:00 because of the wind, but by 6:00 I had 2 within 5 yards of my stand. I had contemplated just giving up after I was busted, but I'm glad I didn't. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
5,292 Posts
This is gonna sound crazy but sometimes when deer make those noises and bust you it’s a call for other deer to come in and see what in the hell is going on I have had that happen a bunch

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Happens once in awhile

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
The other night I had three come in after the buck busted me. They came in too late to get a shot though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is gonna sound crazy but sometimes when deer make those noises and bust you it’s a call for other deer to come in and see what in the hell is going on I have had that happen a bunch
Watched this exact thing happen a couple years ago. Had something like 18 does in a field, from 20 to 100 yds away. One of the does closer to me started blowing and stomping. Within a minute or two, just about every doe was around her. They were all within 20 yds and would have fit in a 2 car garage.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
All the time. The quick short snort is the worst but still not hunt ending. The annoying long multiple drawn out snorts says IDK what that is but Im not scared either.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
No deer outside 200 yards(depending on terrain and wind) from you heard that blow. Which is probably most of them in the area. So they're going to get up and go about their business like nothing is wrong.

Leaving the woods because one deer snorted is just going to hurt your own hunting chances.

Just like bumping deer in the morning. I have friends that will go home if they bump a deer going in in the morning. I've killed two of my bucks after bumping deer out in the morning.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
As others have said, this isn't unusual. There are lots of deer around and they aren't all within hearing distance of the deer that may bust you.

One of the more memorable ones was back in late October 2010. I had several does and their fawns around me and eventually one of the does busted me and blew the place up for about five minutes before they finally all ran off. That was right around 9am, then at 10:30 a nice 8 pointer came cruising right through there looking for does. He was probably all the way on the other side of the farm at 9am when that doe was snorting and stomping at me.

·
Vendor
26,242 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a big dominent doe pick me off 3 different times in 3 days. The fourth time she came in and looked. If she blew I was going to let it fly. She looked but didn't blow. Then she turned to look in the direction of the young. Then she blew. That was her last breath. A little lemon pepper and a touch of A1 sause and she was great!:wink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea depending on how late in the day it is I normally still see deer even after getting busted and blown at. Getting blown definitely doesnt mean you go to the house just yet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I shot one of my best bucks probably 45 minutes after a group of does blew at me and ran off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just last season I had an old doe leading a family group of 4 does and she caught me moving for my bow and began blowing and stomping and doing the old head bob routine. This went on for several minutes with her not taking her eyes off me. Finally she had enough and decided, even though she never detected any more movement that it was time to lead her little family group out of the area. As she turned to leave I drew and center punched her. She won't be making any more commotion like that.

·
Registered
25,886 Posts
I had a situation much like Jim/Third Hand Man with a nosey old nanny doe. She was the grandma of the group, as there were three sizes of does with her by far the largest. Training them to be snoppy old wenches like she was. After getting busted a couple times, I moved my stand in the general area and she figured that one out as well by circling the wind direction. I've never been a "hit list" type of hunter, but she was definitely at the top of heap for removal from the herd. In late season she would hit my boot prints in the snow and trail me to my revisted stand location, so I formulated a plan. It snowed overnight and I walked in from a different direction.....significantly longer hike. Then I set up on the ground next to a huge old deadfall tree rather than a treestand....wearing snow camo. She came out of the pines with her retinue in tow, scent checking the breeze and looking at the trees. There I was, hunkered down in that treetop at ground level....all ready for her. At 23 yards, my Zwickey tipped arrow hit her chest from my recurve bow and the brief expression on her face was priceless....."OH, NO!" I am honestly as tickled to recall those memories as the biggest bucks I have taken.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Happened once last year. A buck busted me getting into my stand. He knew something wasn't right but I had the wind in my favor. He snorted, stomped around a bit, and then moved off. He even came back an hour later and stomped and snorted some more before moving off again. A while later had 2 does come through within range and I could have had a shot had the stars all aligned. They ended up not giving me a clean shot but had no idea I was there.

·
Muzzy61
1,662 Posts
Yep, have had it happen a few times.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It is youth season here in Iowa. I took one of my son's friends out trying to get him his first deer. It was the first time I hunted this field, long story short I picked the wrong spot with the wind we had. I thought the wind would be good but we had a ton of deer come from behind. We got blown at cause of the wind no more than 5 or 6 times. We still had deer all over us.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,175 Posts
what do you do with that ol nanny when she catches you and blows 114 TIMES....I THOUGHT SHE WOULD DIE FROM LACK OF OXYGEN.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.