Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some advice, guys. I hunted my new spot for the first time this morning and right at first light, here comes a bruiser. He's at about 30 yards and 15 feet from my shooting lane when the wind shifted right toward him. Now I've made my share of mistakes and been busted on numerous occasions, but this one I'm not so sure about. He stopped and threw his nose up, then just casually turned around and went back the way he had come. Have I been busted or am I reading to much into this?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You've been busted but not in a way that has ruined the spot in my opinion. He exercised caution and it saved his life. Don't over hunt the spot and go back after him when the wind is right. Keep us posted and best wishes!

·
Registered
993 Posts
You were busted! Try moving your stand a little ways from there if you can. He will be cautious from now on in that area. Good luck hope you see him again!!

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I had that happen to me once and I knew he didn't wind me 10 minutes later saw him chasing a doe then I knew what he had gotten a snoot full of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not real easy to move my stand without cutting some shooting lanes out because it's very thick where I am. I planned on giving the spot about a 10 day break and trying it again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you are BUSTED I really don't think the deer is just going to walk away. They move with a purpose when there is a problem. If he just walked off, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Give it a few days and you'll be fine.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,548 Posts
Mature deer do not behave like youngsters and we mostly see youngsters. He may have sensed with his nose or by instinct that something was wrong and moved away. Yes, you can be stone cold busted and the deer calmly walks away. They are much more vulnerable when running than when slipping along and deer don't live long if they expose themselves. A mature deer (buck or doe) isn't stupid and running is only done when absolutely necessary. He may have simply chose to change course. I've seen that happen many times as well. A deer changes course for no apparent reason..........it happens all the time.

It's pretty much impossible for anyone to guess from here exactly what he knew or didn't know. I'm guessing if he truly pin wheeled you then he's going to avoid the area. If he merely picked up on some old ground scent from when you walked in then he might be back fairly soon. If there is a doe ready he's going to find her regardless. I'd definitely hunt the area again.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Mature bucks rarely stomp and snort like a doe. Most iv seen will Turn around and leave the way they came when they sense something isnt right. Give the stand a couple day rest and try it again. Hunt prevailing winds, that deer might be wary.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You can still kill him. Readjust your tactics, hunt smarter and learn from your mistakes. Trust me we all make mistakes in the deer woods good luck on you quest to kill him.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You were busted, no if and or but about it. If he saw you or heard you, the situation might be salvageable, but mature deer don't second guess their nose. I'd say the chances of killing that deer from that stand are extremely low unless he comes in behind a hot doe.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think you can still kill him from that stand. You observed the whole thing.... He winded you but never saw you. He will be cautious in that area for a good while. In my experience, mature bucks don't overreact when they since danger. They slip out quickly, calmly and quietly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.