Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been archery hunting for 3 years now and am finally looking to upgrade my bow. I started out with a diamond infinite edge sb-1 when I was 15 for the adjustability and it has been great, but I am becoming more serious about bow-hunting and want to upgrade.

I have been researching bows and am very interested in the Matthews VXR 31.5 and Bowtech's sr6 and realm x.

I am not opposed to getting a year or two old bow used but I can also get a discount on the Matthews as i work for a retailer but the only thing I'm not so sure about the Matthews is I'm hearing the draw is hard.

I am open to suggestions and hearing what people have to suggest and or say about diffent bows I should look into. Also worth mentioning is I shoot left handed so I have had a hard time finding bows to try out.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Welcome aboard, What do you intend to hunt & where under what conditions, tree stand hunting & or spot & stalk out west for example ? What typeof bow will fit you well? What is your draw length? Do you mind a heavy bow or would you appreciate a light bow? will you ever hunt cold weather like sub 30 F?

·
Mark
5,572 Posts
Bowtechs on comfort setting is easy draw with large valley, love mine! I would also add PSE’s with evolve cam to your list to try, they have excellent draw cycle as well. Lot of good choices these days.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Go shoot as many as you can. Every make, model, etc that’s within a reasonable driving distance. Then make you decision. Going with a used bow or last years clearance bow will save you a ton of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,688 Posts
Bowtechs on comfort setting is easy draw with large valley, love mine! I would also add PSE’s with evolve cam to your list to try, they have excellent draw cycle as well. Lot of good choices these days.
Until last week, I had not shot a PSE bow since early 1980....just no interest. However so many positive reports on the Evolve cam system over the past few years piqued my interest.....as they are smooth drawing with rotating mods for a wide range of DL's. In addition, they offer three letoff adjustments by simply loosening a screw, to customize the feel of your bow. Most come with the HL=High Letoff cam, 80-85-90%, but a LL=Low Letoff version is also available, 65-70-75%. Lots in options and innovative design ideas in one package.

I started frequenting the PSE forum here on AT and learning more about them, plus shopping the used bow forums.....target bow sub-forum for me as I prefer a longer ATA bow for shooting and hunting. The Evoke SE/CE are quality offerings that are being sold in the $500-600 range and I narrowed it down to a 60# Evoke 35 SE and made an offer. It arrived this past Saturday noon and I have been playing with it ever since. Tuning has been a learning process as it has cable stops rather than limb stops and a yoke system as well. Mine came with both the HL and LL mods, with the LL mods installed. Once I downloaded portions of the 2019 owners manual, things became more clear and I have it shooting pretty well already....bare shaft tested Sunday afternoon on initial setup and then again last night after some minor changes. Other than just getting used to the feel of a "new" bow, I could take it out hunting today and be confident in the tuning and performance.

·
Treetop Assassins
570 Posts
You are going to have everyone tell you their own favorite brand. Most major manufacturers have different attributes that people like/dislike. Shoot all of them and decide. Regardless of the bow, I would say the same thing Curt did: Buy a gently used 2019. You'll save 30-40% off new with most of the same performance.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I am waiting on my 3rd SR6 so i think i might b opinionated,,jus sayin!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't be afraid to buy a used bow thats a year or two old. I bought a used hoyt hyperforce. That gave me enough money to buy really nice accessories.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Go shoot as many as you can. Every make, model, etc that’s within a reasonable driving distance. Then make you decision. Going with a used bow or last years clearance bow will save you a ton of money.

Excellent advice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
On Xpeditions facebook group there are quite a few new Xcentric Pros posted for sale. It’s a lightweight bow with great speed, decent draw, and mid length ATA. For $400-500 it’s IMO one of the better deals out there right now and leaves some room for quality accessories. Just a thought.
Edit: I used to shoot an Elite Answer which feels much better side by side with the Infinite Edge, and the Xcentric feels much better side by side to the Answer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My draw length is 30 inches and most of the hunting I will be doing is treestand hunting for whitetails

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I've just got an SR6, galloping cupcakes it's fast! Haven't had much chance to tune it in yet because of our wonderful British weather!!!! But when it's settled in, I can't see me shooting anything else for quite some time.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Shoot straight!
3,615 Posts

This

·
Registered
790 Posts
The bow will choose you. Shoot them all. Then go back and shoot them again. Bows arent cheap and with current technology and trends, a new one can last you many years.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
I have been archery hunting for 3 years now and am finally looking to upgrade my bow. I started out with a diamond infinite edge sb-1 when I was 15 for the adjustability and it has been great, but I am becoming more serious about bow-hunting and want to upgrade.

I have been researching bows and am very interested in the Matthews VXR 31.5 and Bowtech's sr6 and realm x.

I am not opposed to getting a year or two old bow used but I can also get a discount on the Matthews as i work for a retailer but the only thing I'm not so sure about the Matthews is I'm hearing the draw is hard.

I am open to suggestions and hearing what people have to suggest and or say about diffent bows I should look into. Also worth mentioning is I shoot left handed so I have had a hard time finding bows to try out.
I just got done shooting the new VXR’s Traverse and the revolts and the reckoning. The VXR’s are stiff on the draw not bad but compared to the Revolts it was a big difference. The Matthews were dead in your hand. The Bowtechs has a very slight feedback.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I suggest picking up a nice used bow out of the classifieds here. I have a minty Mathews Traverse on the way. My last bow also came from the classifieds. You can find just about every model you would want for 30% - 40% less than new cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts