Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've been on the hunt for a youth bow for my daughter; she's 9
the Mathews Mission Craze has my interest (if anyone has a better suggestion please send it over)

brand new at the local archery shop I can get any color for $269; then you add rest/sight/stab/arrows/peep/etc (I get these aren't free; but i'm not going to be putting a spothog hogfather on a youth bow :)) lets say I get $200 into accessories

what has me confused is all these Craze's listed for $475 on the used market; even the local craigslist has a 2010 craze for $500
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some folks just have some funny ideas about what things are worth.

My daughter (also 9) is shooting the Hoyt Ruckus. She and I both liked it better than the Mission bows.

For accessories, your budget should be fine.

I started her out with a TruGlo CarbonXS sight, it is the lightest weight sight I could find, and it is easy on the pocketbook. Whisker Biscuit for simplicity, and no worries about an arrow falling off the rest while she is learning to shoot.

Since she has been shooting for a while now, we have upgraded parts: she has now got a Hogg-It and a QAD HDX (pink, of course) and a Doinker stab.

Colorful accessories are something my daughter enjoys: pink and green Bowjax goodies, and some CoolCat pink and green whiskers. We found her a wrist loop in pink and green, and she has me fletch her arrows to match.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

·
Registered
972 Posts
You should be able to get a crazy new set up ok ut the door readynto shoot for around 450-500 that's with taxes arrows rest sight an release

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Used Bows are typically worth 25-75% of the new retail, depending on age and condition. It's very rare that any bow would appreciate in value.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I agree, I like the Ruckus better. My daughter shoots a Craze and my son shoots the Ruckus. Ruckus will be aot lighter for her.

They are a little pricey but they are made just like the big boy bows and they are made to last and grow with them so you don't have to get a new one as they grow.

You can look at it this way. Its a cheap way to spend pricelss time with your kids!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really like the Diamond bows. My kids both have a Razor Edge. They are 8 and 9 years old. Diamond has replaced the Razor Edge with the Infinate Edge. Draw weight goes from 5 to 70 lbs. It can definately grow with the shooter. We shoot tournaments also and my daughter won shooter of the year last year, and my boy just shot a 224 last weekend at the ASA shoot in Alabama. They really shoot well. I think they are around $350 as a package deal.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
Bare Craze retails for $299. But IMHO it is over kill for your daughter. The bow will do 70# at a 25" draw. I think the better Mission bow for her would be the Mission Menace bare bow for $269. 17" draw to 30" draw, low end it will go down to about 14# and do 50# on the top end. More than enough bow for anything she wants to do.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Cabalas was clearing out their stock of diamond razor edges for $200 out the door.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my initial thoughts between the craze/menace/edge was to go with the shorter ata (craze is 3 inches less)

right now i'm thinking it is between the craze and the edge

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My thought is for Duaghter and Wives/Girl Friend is spend under $175-$200 for Browning Mico Midas 3 in the 20-30# limbs and see if she sticks with it. I have bought and sold several of these, set one up for my wife as a bowfishing bow and they are easy to set up and adjust for draw length. They pull very nice, shoot well, I think 31" axle to axle and weigh 2.6 pounds.

Even though used, make it special for her by letting her pick out the color wrist sling, fletchings, bow case etc. Then if she does not like to shoot... you are not out hundreds.

If a year later she is going great guns like you hope, sell the Midas, lose maybe $25-$50 if that and upgrade her to a Menace, Apprentice or a Rukus in the colors she likes all tricked out.

I don't have one for sale right now, I will by the end of the week but I think there are several around here on AT or local pawn shops too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but if it helps, i was in the same boat you are in about 2 months ago. After looking at most of the bows listed, I decided on the menace. I have a 10 yr old boy and a 12yr old girl. The menace is close to a pound lighter than the craze and both of my kids liked the draw better on the menace over the craze and the edge. They could easily draw more poundage on the menace than the craze and the least on the edge. The edge (razors edge, not infinite as nobody had one in stock) seemed to stack most of the draw weight early in the cyle and was pretty harsh (not something that a shooter couldn't get used to quickly though). Anyway, they both liked the menace much better and it was less expensive which got my vote too!
my initial thoughts between the craze/menace/edge was to go with the shorter ata (craze is 3 inches less)

right now i'm thinking it is between the craze and the edge

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would suggest the parker sidekick extreme.. that was my first bow... love it... you can grow with the limbs.. send it in for fifty bucks and you can get the limbs upgraded... good bow to start off with

1 - 13 of 13 Posts