Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and i are buy are first farm. It is 64 acres which is way big enough for me or him. I was wonderin what the 1st thing u all would do to land beside get camras up and clean it up and stuff. Like would u get corn feeders out, or what would u guys do?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Waaaay too many options here... alot depends on how the land is used... Is it solely for hunting? Putting a house on it? How's it setup? field? wooded? partially wooded? got a water source? got a food source? the list goes on and on...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 2 ponds, a house 2 or 3 small 1 acre fields and it is mostly wooded and only for hunting. Now what would u all do 1st?

·
Registered
394 Posts
first find where the deer and turkey are

then find where i'm gonna set up home, second the kennel then the pig pen. last but not least the garage to build bikes ,cars and brew beer.:darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Put some kind of food plots near your 2 ponds. What we did to my uncles farm since he had 200 acres of woods we made road ways through the woods and set up tree stands at end of the road ways for gun hunting and planted clover in these road ways. Also set up stands along these road ways for bow hunting. Then also near ponds we put in apple trees. After 5 years we had the best hunting for whitetails we ever had. A lot of hard work but it paid off.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
post it

do what a lot of people do in where I grew up in Illinois....
buy it then go all around the perimeter of the property and put POSTED NO HUNTING or NO TRESSPASSING signs up....
just kidding but the above is very true
we just bought a farm in Illinois about 3 years ago and already have had great memories from the deer we have harvested.
congrats and good luck to you, you may notice that you will have a few more "friends" contacting you once they find out you have property to hunt.....

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
scout scout scout...I wouldn't do anything until I figured out what the game was doing and what parts of the property they were using..
Be careful, just jumping in "To Do" something could mess up some good habitat..
Relax and enjoy it/hunt it this fall. I bet next spring the obvious things to do will show up.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
40 acres

I just bought 40 acres with a house.Its has a couple of small food plots on it.The food plots are a couple of years old pretty grown up.I figured it was too late to plant.I was wanting to see what was walking around on it without altering the movement of the game. So in one of the food plots I put some corn out with a camera on it.I got 14 pictures of 3 small bucks in less than 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what i was thinking was to put my corn feeders out. We have been walking it for 2 days a figured out that there is alot of acorn trees on the property and has alot of big hills with deep valleys that they are walking

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont know it maybe wrong but im not joking like the person above about posting it.....get that **** posted so you can have way more memories with friends and family instead of strangers killing mega bucks on your property that you purchased......just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we posted alot of it already but we have to have it servayed befor we post more

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Build a shopping mall.

Build it, and they will come.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks that good advice

·
Registered
569 Posts
If I were you? Call your state Forest Service. Most folks are unaware of the help and information that is free and available to the average taxpayer. The Forest Service can examine your trees and determine stand composition, age, and forest health. They can also work with you to develop a long-term plan for managing your woodlands. Another agency to contact would be your state Wildlife Resources Commission. Many have biologists on the payroll that will visit your land and help determine things you can do to maximize the potential of your land to produce/hold whatever species of wildlife you like. All this is free. Your tax dollars hard at work... :)

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Find out if it is the timber reserve program. Most states give tax breaks for this.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Along with the posted signs put up some "violators will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again" signs :mg:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This si alot more help then the other people thank u. So do u all think they would tell me if the soil is good to plant or not

·
Registered
670 Posts
Along with the posted signs put up some "violators will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again" signs :mg:

LOL...no lie, some people a couple miles from me have a 4x8 sheet of plywood painted white with that exact wording in black - sitting right in front of their house facing the road. They have like 2-3 acres on a hill, on the side of a highway. Total necks, its hilarious! I thought about sneaking up there at night and spray painting a smiley on their sign, with LOL under it! :darkbeer:

To the OP....I would get the land surveyed and posted as you said you are. I Would spend a little time out there to figure out their natural movement patterns before making any major changes. This might help you decide what you could do. I would also contact the forestry dept as well...most have programs you can get into that will supplement or pay for your improvements. Good luck :)

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
you can always put a camera on a feeder. that will tell you the deer on the place. if its dry check the ponds for watering activity. if it has a creek, walk it and see if it has any good crossings. also walk the property line and make sure the neighbors dont have any stands on your property. get to know them and if you can have a good chunk of land try to get on a management program if ya'll wanna kill big bucks. good luck and congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get it surveyed

post and paint perimeter

observe game for at least one year maybe 2 before you make drastic permanent moves or cuts

game cams and feeders or throw feed on ground

place minerals after you know their routes (you wouldn't want to draw them to an unhuntable area)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts