Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which one to get. I have a Martin Target bow. I have been away from Archery for a few years, but really miss it that I would like to get into Bowhunting. Want a good bow, but not looking to go into debt to get one with all of the accessories. The local shop in town carries mostly Martin bows. Also do I get carbon arrows? What's a good quiet release?

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Basically go shoot one and see which one fits you I'm a Hoyt or Reflex man myself. Reflex is made by Hoyt for Chuck Adams--he gets a royalty off Reflex. I would and do use carbon arrows ---I have had great luck with them and one thing that I found out was the redheads that bass pro sells perform for me as well as the more expensive ones, only $40 per dozen. I bought some 2 years ago to go hoghunting and expected to mess up several arrows, have shot as many as 3 hogs with same arrow. But these are just my preferences. There are others and I'm sure you get to read about a lot of them. Good Luck and glad to hear you are coming back into the woods.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
most releases are quiet but my preferences are the flecther flecthmatic rope release and the rollaid

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Archery is so wide spread it's hard to look at everything.If you like your Martin,look at the new models,you might find one that suits you and your budget.
There are many lower end bows that will do everything the high ends do.I bought a 03 Hoyt Magnatec and I love it.
Reflex,Pse,Bear, are all good and have bows that will suit anybody.
I shoot Beman carbons and they seem fine so far.I will be hunting with them this year for the first time.
Like your bow,releases are hard to pick,they're is so many.
I personnally like a glove style caliper.:)

·
Registered
Obsession Fusion 7 at 56# at 29".
2,733 Posts
mtngr1,
Welcome to Archery Talk's message board! :)

Since you're just getting back into archery, the best advise is to purchase a used bow. There's no reason to lay down $400 to $700 on a new bow and find out in a month or two that you don't like it. A good used bow that's only 1 to 3 years old will serve you well and at a cost of $175 to $325.

I purchased a 2002 model Darton Maverick that shoots very well and I only paid $225 for it. :cool:

Archery is full of personal choices. That being said, go to as many archery pro shops as you can and handle all the bows and decide on what you like the feel of, in your hand. All the accessories that go on the bow will be entirely your decision. Everyone will have an opinion on all the accessories and bows, so you'll have to take all that information in and make a decision from there. ;)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Archery Coach
23,319 Posts
Bowhunter 57 makes a great point (I help run a pro shop and agree that used bows can be a great deal and you get 95% of state of the art performance at half the cost)

YOu got to like a guy who has the comment about Rosie O Bacon as his signature:D :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Before you go where the grass looks greener, take a few minutes to shoot the new Martin Cougar3 SE. It is a great shooting bow and has been a best seller for Martin this year. Fast quiet and ultra forgiving. The perfect hunting bow. As far as releases are concerned, there are dozens to choose from but if you want a great one, buy a Carter One Shot with the velcro strap. It features nickel plated hardened steel internal components with the same great Carter workmanship found in the world's best target releases.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like my 2001 Hoyt MT Sport and fletchhunter release...But that's just me.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
No!!! used bow

Do not buy a used bow. you can look at the Bears or the Martins and even the Bowtechs or Pearsons. They all make great bows some even at 299.99-399.99 with everything on them.......Martin has one so does some other companies and you have a great warranty. Buy a used bow it breaks the 2nd time you take it out.......no warranty on it. The 300.00 for a new one is money worth invested with a warranty on it if something goes wrong.....Fit a Martin in your hand or a Pearson or a Bear....what feels best is the one to buy WITH A WARRANTY......decked out with everything but release and arrows for 299.99!!!!!That is the way to fly.......buy a new bow so you do not get the shaft!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I agree with toxo--- it cost just a little more to get the new bow, if cost is a factor get the lower end, shoot it a year or two then upgrade, you'll be much happier in the end. Its like buying a used 4 wheel drive, you really don't know where its been or if it has been sunk or not.. think about it-- why did someone get rid of it?
So many decisions, so many choices, so many opinions but remember this------whatever choice you make-----its the right one if you bow fits you and you feel good about it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Don't worry about the name on the bow

Hunting has it's own set of challenges and specific bow types (notice I didn't say brands) can be advantageous. You have to evaluate your kind of hunting and search for a bow style that will fill your needs.

For instance, if you hunt strictly out of a tree, or by stalking in thick undergrowth, then a very short, light bow it can be desirable.

A lot of hunters want their equipment to be a quiet as possible, so they will not even consider some bows. You'll be amazed how loud some bows are, that others consider "silent". Shoot them and see for yourself.

Many times, shot angles will be severe and body position can be anything but ideal. Add in some heavy clothing in cold weather and you have a formula for disaster with many of the bows on the market today. Here is where a very high brace height comes in handy. Lots of hunters would be upset if the string hit their arm causing the shot to miss or wound an animal.

Speed - my advise is to pay no attention to it. Every properly tuned bow is fast enough to efficiently take game. More important is the feel of the grip, the hardness of the wall and the smoothness of the draw.

Shoot as many as you can that meet your requirements as a hunter and have fun deciding.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Check into a PSE Nova IF. The bow sells around 200.00 and rigged still less than 300.00, depending on what acc;s you ad to it. It is a no frills bow that will easily get the job done and still
carry a full lifetime warranty against any thing except the string and cables. I would go with carbon arrows fro hunting,the PSE
Carbon Force Dominator being as good as any and cheap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First hunting bow

If my measurement from fingertip to chest bone is 30", which size of bow should I go with? I would prefer the shorter bow if I can get the job done with it. You guys have all been great! I'm going to spend alot of time going to different pro shops and trying out different bows. I don't remember the weight of my bow, but I do know that it's a little difficult to continually pull the weight, cause I've been away from it. Aren't the newer bows built so that you can pull more weight alot easier than before? I would say my Martin target bow is about 10-12 years at least.

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
91 Posts
new bow

i just bought a new martin phantom2 with magnum limbs a fusion cam it is a very smooth drawing bow,fastand very accurate.i only paid 340 dollars for it.i am very satisfied with it .one heck of a bargain.:D

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Agree

Go into a lot of archery shops. TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND<not the other way around a 400.00 bow is just as deadly as a 700.00 one. The pick up every bow in that price range.....when it feels right and is comfortable that is the one for you.......DO NOT LET ANYONE PUSH YOU INTO ANY BOW THEY WANT TO SELL YOU......YOU ARE IN A STORE......IN THERE .............YOU.......ARE THE BOSS!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
shoot as many as possible....don't worry about the name on it. how...they are all good or they would not be in business as long as they have.......shoot them-----looks and how they feel when you shoot them could be different.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Follow Kildog's advise and you will not be go wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts