Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've spent the last two hours or more, reading previous threads on all types of hunting clothing.
I'm basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I can't get what I need from Grey Wolf Woolens this year. (Wolfskin in Fall Brown)
Anyhow, I'm STILL considering their wool with comfortmax lining, but I'm not so sure I want it or not. I just don't know if that is ONLY treestand hunting clothing or not? Does anyone know if I will be able to walk around in their wool without sweating to death? At most, I'll be in 30 degree lows, with an occasional 20 degrees day.
Anyhow,
I was considering buying some Cabelas Fleece, Wool, or MT050 or ANYTHING to get me through this winter.
I have read a THOUSAND posts on EVERY type of Cabelas Fleece. Legacy Fleece, Super Slam Elite Fleece, Berber Fleece, as well as MT050, Cabelas Wool (many types at that), and I have found ONE thing.
Almost every fleece is said to be QUIET, and it is also said to be NOISY.
It seems people just can't agree, and I know that is because many of these guys don't know what quiet truly is.
WOOL is QUIET guys. Some Fleece is quite. That should be your comparison, when making statements on a garment, IMO.
Anyhow, I would like to know IF you guys have used Cabelas Outfitters Wool???
IF you have, is it of the same quality as Grey Wolf's Wool?

Also, IF I were to go with Cabelas Fleece, WHICH is the best option to get, for quietness, and wind protection???
I think Windshear is the term they use for the most part, which is their lining used as a wind breaker.

Please help me guys. I think I'm going to go crazy if I read two opposing posts again, which conflict with each other, about the quietness of the same hunting garment!!!! LOL!!!

Dang you guys who have a Cabelas locally. It would be the BOMB to able to go try all of these garments in person...
Too bad Bass Pro bites the big one....

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not too sure on the wool but I have the mto5o extreme weather coveralls and they are warm, real warm..and quiet and waterproof..:shade:

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
anything cabelas is amazing
the fleece fullover idr the name is quiet and berber is too both worth it

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
check out Cabelas' new Bowhunter extreme bibs and parka.

it was on sale a few weeks ago and I had a set to photograph and it looks like qreat gear.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
heading out

I always heat up if I wear my outter layers on my way to the stand no matter what the temp is. That is why I pack both the jacket and bibs (or pants) in.

I don't know about the current Cabelas stuff. Haven't bought from them in 4 years. I didn't like how their pants were put together. Not enough belt loops.

Wool (GWW) won't be too warm at the stand.

Only thing about fleece I don't like is how it picks up stuff.

I just ordered a comfortmax/liteloft wool jacket in brown yesterday.
Hope my wife lets me live long enough to wear it.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I have 3 suits,2 of them were very pricey and are great products but the third suit is the one I usually use,Cabellas revolution dry plus!Quiet,comfortable and very warm and one of their best values,under $200.00 for complete suit.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for the comments guys.
I'm still stuck like crazy, trying to decide on a set of bibs and parka for this year.
I just can't get what I want from Grey Wolf Woolens, so I'm stuck trying to buy a lesser product from Cabelas.
I just can't decide what is actually worth ordering, as I've literally read conflicting posts about EVERY Cabelas product there is.
Many say the MT050 clothing is LOUD, and many say it is quiet.
This holds true for literally EVERY fabric Cabelas sells. Sometimes the search function does more harm than good. LOL.
The last thing I want to do, is start ordering and returning all kinds of garments to and from Cabelas....
Damn how I need a local Cabelas...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have a Revolution fleece pullover w/hood that is great (even in light rain). It is pretty quiet, but not silent. The big pocket on the front is perfect for bowhunting.

I also have pants/pullover in the Legacy fleece and they are silent. The legacy fleece isn't that warm and doesn't block wind, but there aren't many days in mid-TN that are that cold (especially leading up to the rut). I bought the set for early season turkey hunting and my only complaint is that if you ever walk through beggar lice they are there for the long haul. It's a pain to get them out!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Like I said before...

Paul...Just go to Gray Wolf and get Fall Grey...Nobody, including the animals will know the difference...If you are set on Fall Brown and want to get something in the meantime, I have quite a bit of the Outfitter's Fleece from Cabelas and it is nice stuff...Plenty quiet and should work fine in the temps. you are talking about...But, there really isn't that much difference between fall brown and fall grey...I am guessing that is why fall brown is going down the road in the future...

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
If you are looking into fleece.........it's going to be QUIET period. Fleece IS QUIET no matter what it is. I've go several hunting and non hunting fleece items and they are ALL QUIET.

I have Legacy Fleece. Not used it yet, bought it a bit big to go over other stuff since it's not real heavy.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I thought my Cabelas stuff was great, until I tried on some Day One stuff. I am sure the Grey Wolf stuff is up there with Day One, a step well above Cabelas.

Paul: Check you pm's - I may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would put in a vote for the Cabelas Berber Fleece. It is warm ,very quiet, and is very lightweight. It also dries out very quickly if it gets wet. In my experience with the MTO50 it that it is rather noisy. The Berber fleece though is dead quiet. My 2 cents. Hersh

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Hersh.

I too, thought the MT050 was loud, and NOT really quiet. I just was looking over the only MT050 item I still own, a pair of gloves, and they are noisy.
I just don't see where some of these guys get on here and post all kind of crap, saying a garment is quiet. We're not comparing the noise level to sandpaper ya know... LOL!

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
me to

Paul Cataldo said:
Thanks for the info Hersh.

I too, thought the MT050 was loud, and NOT really quiet. I just was looking over the only MT050 item I still own, a pair of gloves, and they are noisy.
I just don't see where some of these guys get on here and post all kind of crap, saying a garment is quiet. We're not comparing the noise level to sandpaper ya know... LOL!
Seems the MT and alot of Gortex stuff is loud.

Some materials seem quiet until you get it close to the bark on a tree.:mg:

Or it gets twig slapped.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike Ryan said:
Seems the MT and alot of Gortex stuff is loud.

Some materials seem quiet until you get it close to the bark on a tree.:mg:

Or it gets twig slapped.

Well, I personally test EVERY garment I see, and there is only ONE way to test a garment IMO.
VERY SIMPLE and EASY test.....

....Simply rub the garment's fabric together against itself, and voila! Instant noise test with the results we NEED in order to determine if a garment is quiet enough for up close bowhunting on the quietest days in the woods...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fleece fabric is NEVER noisy. Many times it comes lined with gore-tex or other things that ARE noisy. Also, temperature plays a part in the noise factor. COld temps - under 20 degrees magnify thngs as some fabrice like saddle cloth get "more brittle" and noisier. A friend used lined fleece elk hunting ans when he walked it made a dull swish, swish noise. Thats wasn't teh fleece, it was some sort of wind-proof liner. In a stand it wouldn't make much difference, but still hunting it did.

Wool is about the same as fleece - quiet. Micro Tex from Cabelas is quiet like fleece and while it does pick up stickers, you can just brush them off, unlike fleece that has to have the hitchikers adn devils pitchforks picked off. *&@%$# stickers!!

>>>>>-------------------->

·
Registered
72 Posts
i am a big fan of wool and the columbia gattlin series is a great bargin in wool. it only comes in a brown camo pattern but it is very good for winter woods. i bought the bibs and jacket from bass pro for $75 a piece and i have been super happy. you have to hem the bibs yourself though, but my wife did that for me. i had her make the bibs a little short since i hate it when my bibs drag the ground and i used the left over pieces to make a hat and a facemask. i believe they are a wool blend of 70% wool and 30% polyester.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I am pretty anal about quiet clothing. I spend a lot of time tracking bucks up in Maine and Northern NH. For tracking, quiet is critical. The only garments that fit the bill for me would be 1)Wool, and 2) Fleece (not all fleece, some burr shedding low nap fleece like Cabela's revolution fleece is quiet in the stand but moving through the woods twigs and branches tend to "pop" against it).

Legacy fleece and Berber Fleece are outstanding. I could outfit myself with legacy fleece and hunt happily all season. My preference is not to have the windstopper or dryplus lining. Usually is cold enough where I hunt so that if you have precip, its frozen. For layers I will wear a second set of heavy fleece wader pants under neath on cold days. This works great.

Wool is a great fabric, probably my favorite for tracking. But it is more of a pain to clean, not as scent free, heavier and more bulky than fleece. For bowhunting, I always prefer fleece (Berber or legacy, either is great). For tracking, I dress lighter because I will be travelling anywhere from 5-15 miles in the mountains, and then I almost always wear wool.

For bowhutning when the high temps don't get above 25 or so, I simply add the Heater Body Suit (Best thing for cold weather hunting since sliced bread)

You should really make a weekend trip to a Cabelas to test the materials out. Words alone just can't explain all these fabrics.

·
Registered
615 Posts
have you looked at King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian wool?? I own serveral pieces and love them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts