Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent shopped at the store since the merger. Just never found any good discounts or items that were worth their ridiculous MSRP.

I was thinking about getting some camo today and called their customer service to inquire about sizes. 24min wait time............

I NEVER remember having to be on hold for that long back in the day.

RIP Cabelas. I miss you old friend.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ive walked away from them too. I used to get quite a few things from them including some fly rods that had the lifetime warranty. After they were bought out I noticed they no longer had their rods under lifetime warranty. Well the rod tip broke on my prestige fly rod and called to see if they would honor the existing lifetime warranty. I was told that they would and to bring it in to replace. Mind you cabelas is a three hour drive from me, I drove there and then was told that they no longer honor the lifetime warranties. I argued that I was told on the phone to bring it up and to exchange and basically got a shoulder shrug. I canceled by cabelas visa account that day and never looked back.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,479 Posts
You called customer service to inquire about sizes? What were you inquiring about?

Hey, I gained 50lbs, will a medium still fit?

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
I havent shopped at the store since the merger. Just never found any good discounts or items that were worth their ridiculous MSRP.

I was thinking about getting some camo today and called their customer service to inquire about sizes. 24min wait time............

I NEVER remember having to be on hold for that long back in the day.

RIP Cabelas. I miss you old friend.
The customer service call centers are running on skeleton crews because of COVID-19. They can't put the same number of people in the building so they can't handle the same volume of work at the same rate. Not saying that is the exact reason but I think we could assume it has something to do with it. The call center parking lot here in town is certainly not as full as it was this time last year.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
You're mad because you stayed on the phone for 24 mins? Do you have access to the world wide web? Fitting guides can be found there

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
always amuses how these threads go, never how the OP hopes. LOL

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,206 Posts
The Cabela’s in Hamburg Pennsylvania was once a crown jewel for the chain. Opened to such fanfare, constant traffic, camper and trailer parking in their lot. An immense selection of camo. The bargain Cave was always full with a wide variety of items. Fast forward to bass pro take over… Camo selection taken off the main floor and reduced to about 25% of previous levels… Bargain Cave gone and all camo shoved back there… Main floor where camo used to be now taken over by casual clothing. Limited size of camo in stock and sales person trying to get you to sign up for a bass pro credit card. Emptiest I’ve ever seen the parking lot and the store.

Definitely ain’t what it used to be.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live about 15 minutes from a Cabela's store but don't shop there often. In my experience, prices are ridiculous and "outfitters" are not helpful.

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
I have 3 Cabela's gift cards that I received as Christmas gifts. It is now July and I haven't really found anything that I am interested in using those cards on.....sad shadow of their former operation. Ten years ago my wife and I would take a couple days during my spring break from school and drive to the Dundee, MI Cabela's store and spend the night in the local hotel. Now I can't find something online to use up those gift cards......

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,479 Posts
I live about 15 minutes from a Cabela's store but don't shop there often. In my experience, prices are ridiculous and "outfitters" are not helpful.
so where do you shop if not Cabelas? Amazon? that is why the walk-in stores are so bad, they cannot compete with mail order...
just think if Bass Por Cabelas aand Herters all went to internet sales, where would yoou go try something on to see if it fit so you could buy it on;line cheaper

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Cabelas was going downhill way before the BPS merger...their inventory control was laughable...I think the demise began when it went from private to public.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
843 Posts
While it is true that Cabelas is a shell of its former self, I still go there. It is important for me to support the brick and mortar stores. Plus, they are the only show in town for non resident hunting and fishing licenses.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
30 years ago I would wait for their catalog. I remember filling out the order slip and sending it off. They barely had any kids stuff so my dad would order from the women’s section for my gear. How times have changed and how Cabela’s has changed. I live 15 minutes from one and only go in there if I’m desperate.

·
Ad Meliora
18,189 Posts
so where do you shop if not Cabelas? Amazon? that is why the walk-in stores are so bad, they cannot compete with mail order...
just think if Bass Por Cabelas aand Herters all went to internet sales, where would yoou go try something on to see if it fit so you could buy it on;line cheaper
Let’s take an honest look at this....when Cabelas in Hamburg opened, I could try on various Cabelas brand hunting pants until I found what I liked. Then WHILE I WAITED they were hemmed to my length (which is admittedly long). Once they went public that service went away BUT Cabelas brand still offered talls. Now Hamburg has very little private brand, and NOTHING in tall. So in one simple article of clothing the change has been tremendous, and there is no chance they will be able to sell me their brand of clothing.

As for internet sales Cabelas has been doing that for years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts