Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

In my search to find a late-season midlayer for the Sitka Stratus and Fanatic system I decided to drive up to Cabela's to see if I could compare a few things. My goal is to stretch the Stratus into the high 20s comfortably and the Fanatic down to the single digits. Understanding that I could probably do this with a more insulated system I do a lot of traveling and mobile stand setups on public land.

I ended up purchasing some the top and bottom to this today. It was on sale in store for the same price as it is online right now ($90 for each piece). You could get away with purchasing a fleece top and bottom from somewhere else for cheaper probably but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find anything with the Polygiene odor-control treatment like this has. The material reminds me of the fleece inside the new North Face jackets and is EXTREMELY soft and quiet. Another on here posted that its like you grew a fur coat. I completely agree with this. I have a medium in all the clothing and it fits pretty nicely at 5' 9", 180 lbs, and about a 32" waist. If you are any taller or heavier I'd probably opt for a large in everything. Layered with a Merino top and bottom underneath with the Fanatic gear over top this stuff is WARM. Reminded me of when I tried the Incinerator jacket on in the store. I'd venture to say this was a tad warmer. So far I'm happy. I'm curious on how it does with wicking moisture during and after a mile trek and setting up a stand when it's in the teens or single digits.

Cabela's Men's Thermal Zone Standhunter 1/2-Zip Top with Polartec® – Regular

I compared it to this new stuff below that Cabela's has out now. This is actually what I was intending on buying before I got to the store. It has 100-gram PrimaLoft Silver insulation and a 100% merino-wool lining. The idea behind this stuff is really nice but I feel like it just wasn't worth the money at $159 for each piece. It seemed kind of stiff. Not like any of my other primaloft stuff. It would be better with a smoother finish. It would be awesome with a puffy jacket finish or even better if they could maybe knock down the primaloft (80-grams vice 100) a bit and throw a layer of fleece on top like the stuff above.

Cabela's Men's Insulated Standhunter Base-Layer Top with 4MOST INHIBIT™ and 4MOST WICK™

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You have the same link for both items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
Those are nice, scentblocker also makes a product almost exactly the same as Cabelas brand for only about $60 per piece..its called the arctic weight s3 thermals..i have a set and they are extremely warm and work great with the stratus set which I also have

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are nice, scentblocker also makes a product almost exactly the same as Cabelas brand for only about $60 per piece..its called the arctic weight s3 thermals..i have a set and they are extremely warm and work great with the stratus set which I also have
I looked at these but didn't try them on. Definitely great to note.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Team #9
9,051 Posts
Hey all,

In my search to find a late-season midlayer for the Sitka Stratus and Fanatic system I decided to drive up to Cabela's to see if I could compare a few things. My goal is to stretch the Stratus into the high 20s comfortably and the Fanatic down to the single digits. Understanding that I could probably do this with a more insulated system I do a lot of traveling and mobile stand setups on public land.

I ended up purchasing some the top and bottom to this today. It was on sale in store for the same price as it is online right now ($90 for each piece). You could get away with purchasing a fleece top and bottom from somewhere else for cheaper probably but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find anything with the Polygiene odor-control treatment like this has. The material reminds me of the fleece inside the new North Face jackets and is EXTREMELY soft and quiet. Another on here posted that its like you grew a fur coat. I completely agree with this. I have a medium in all the clothing and it fits pretty nicely at 5' 9", 180 lbs, and about a 32" waist. If you are any taller or heavier I'd probably opt for a large in everything. Layered with a Merino top and bottom underneath with the Fanatic gear over top this stuff is WARM. Reminded me of when I tried the Incinerator jacket on in the store. I'd venture to say this was a tad warmer. So far I'm happy. I'm curious on how it does with wicking moisture during and after a mile trek and setting up a stand when it's in the teens or single digits.

I compared it to this new stuff below that Cabela's has out now. This is actually what I was intending on buying before I got to the store. It has 100-gram PrimaLoft Silver insulation and a 100% merino-wool lining. The idea behind this stuff is really nice but I feel like it just wasn't worth the money at $159 for each piece. It seemed kind of stiff. Not like any of my other primaloft stuff. It would be better with a smoother finish. It would be awesome with a puffy jacket finish or even better if they could maybe knock down the primaloft (80-grams vice 100) a bit and throw a layer of fleece on top like the stuff above.

Cabela's Men's Insulated Standhunter Base-Layer Top with 4MOST INHIBIT™ and 4MOST WICK™
I just ordered the Standhunter base-layer top and bottom with 4MOST INHIBIT and 4MOST WICK ...the top is 50% off right now so I jumped on it and the bottoms ..has anyone tried these out? now a little worried

·
wolfey
4,237 Posts
I don't have the cables thermal pro pieces but I do use a melanzana high loft fleece which is thermal pro also. I wear it over merino wool which wicks a little better. Warmth wise it's great as long as you have a wind barrier shell over it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hey all,

I'm probably going to get the exact same base layers. With 2 seasons in now, any feedback to report? You still happy with them? TY.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all,

Cabela's Men's Thermal Zone Standhunter 1/2-Zip Top with Polartec®️ – Regular

Cabela's Men's Insulated Standhunter Base-Layer Top with 4MOST INHIBIT™️ and 4MOST WICK™️
I'm probably going to get the exact same base layers. With 2 seasons in now, any feedback to report? You still happy with them? TY.
Great investment. Heard they aren't in production any longer though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have both. I like the Fleece (fur coat) it is warm but air, does go through it. After a couple of washings (air dry) it seems to be ok. Waist band on both sort of suck and don't last, working on having a new one sewn in. The Fleece does also pile up under jackets esp at the elbows but is warm. The Standhunter (primaloft stuff) is good as well. seems to dress a little easier (no bunching at elbow, fit, etc), waistband still sucks/weak and the thighs are a little tight. It does breath and the wool keeps you warm if you sweat a little. It is stiff but after wearing and few washings (air dry) it loosens up nice and fits good under outerlayers. Have you thought about a HBS or IWOM?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts