Archery Talk Forum banner

Cabela's to Build in Ohio?

1115 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  BandanaMan
I have recently spoken to a local city council member and he told me that Cabela's has just recently acquired land at the intersection of I-70 and State Route 127 (Near Dayton, OH) to build a new retail outlet. I don't have any reason not to believe him and this would mean thousands of jobs for this area, which would be huge given the big bind GM is in right now and local plants in jeopardy of being closed and jobs lost.

Can anyone confirm any of this information or have any of you heard any rumors
concerning Cabela's building in Ohio? The land was supposed to have been acquired within the last two weeks, so maybe this news is very new information. Any info would be great. Thanks.

NSTRUT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
I haven't heard that Cabela's is going to build where you say they are, but I can tell you this:

I have bought over a thousand dollars (or darn close to it) at Cabela's on-line this year. Shipping charges at Cabela's are much less then paying the Ohio state sales tax, about half what the state sales tax would have been.

As soon as Cabela's builds in Ohio, on-line purchases will have Ohio sales tax included with the purchase and shipping charges. That's when I will never buy from Cabela's on-line again, I'll buy from someone else!

The American auto industry, GM & Ford, in this country have been running on "stupid" for decades with with nonsense like the ratio of 2.5 retired employees to one working employee, they should have seen that this, and other bad business practices, was a recipe for disaster. The auto industry caused their own problems that have gotten them where they are now at the brink of bankruptcy!

My personal thought on this subject is that it will be a sad day in Ohio when Cabela's builds here! :thumbs_do

· Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a lead supervisor for Honda, so the GM woes aren't exactly breaking my heart, but I am concerned for the people going to lose their jobs. It isn't their fault that they have been lead down the wrong path. I worked for Corning Glass and lost my job when they pulled out of Ohio. It's not a good feeling to have your world swept out from underneath you.

You have a great point about the Ohio sales taxes vs. shipping charges. I have seen what Cabela's in Wheeling, WV has done for the local economy there, and that's why I am encouraged with them building in Ohio, especially if the proposed site is true. That would be less than an hour drive for me and I can get whatever I need the same day. I understand your point of view, though I still would love to see it happen.

· Registered
24 Posts
nstrut said:
I am a lead supervisor for Honda, so the GM woes aren't exactly breaking my heart, but I am concerned for the people going to lose their jobs. It isn't their fault that they have been lead down the wrong path. I worked for Corning Glass and lost my job when they pulled out of Ohio. It's not a good feeling to have your world swept out from underneath you.

You have a great point about the Ohio sales taxes vs. shipping charges. I have seen what Cabela's in Wheeling, WV has done for the local economy there, and that's why I am encouraged with them building in Ohio, especially if the proposed site is true. That would be less than an hour drive for me and I can get whatever I need the same day. I understand your point of view, though I still would love to see it happen.

Your point is well said! I regret the taxes too!:thumbs_up

· Registered
214 Posts
nstrut said:

You're absolutely correct in what you say about the jobs!

If they do build there, I'll just have to "suck it up" and drive over there and pay the damn taxes then! Not much of a choice!:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.