Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On cable guards with a bend or elbow, is it better to move the bend away from or towards the center of the bow?
For example take a look at this PSE Phenom:

The cable guard is pointing away from the center of the bow. I would think that the closer the bend is to where the 2 cables intersect (center of the bow), the less deflection occurs resulting in better accuracy. But it appears most bows are set up the opposite, away from center as in the picture at the factory.
Anyone knows the reason why?

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
My opinion is to have the cable guard as close to where the arrow sits as possible.
That way the clearance is where you need it thus lessening the effect on the cams as much as possible.
The further the guard is from the arrow, the more deflection is needed to achieve fletching clearance.

Kev

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My opinion is to have the cable guard as close to where the arrow sits as possible.
That way the clearance is where you need it thus lessening the effect on the cams as much as possible.
The further the guard is from the arrow, the more deflection is needed to achieve fletching clearance.

Kev
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but you articulated it better/simpler.
So.. why do manufacturers do the opposite?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My only thought would be, for hybrid cams:

It's easier to adjust out cam lean on the top; the further the cableguard is from the bottom cam, the less effect we have on that end. So move the lateral load towards the top cam, fix the lean with the yoke and leave the bottom cam to sit straight of its own accord.

Maybe?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only thought would be, for hybrid cams:

It's easier to adjust out cam lean on the top; the further the cableguard is from the bottom cam, the less effect we have on that end. So move the lateral load towards the top cam, fix the lean with the yoke and leave the bottom cam to sit straight of its own accord.

Maybe?
I see. It's true there is only a yoke up top. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got the truglo archers choice range rover slider sight, and the buttom of the slider hits the "elbow" of the cable guard so i dont get it all the way down at the adjustment. The cable guard is now sitting at 2 o clock. Is it ok to turn it down to about 4 o clock?
Will this make the bow out of tune?
It will still have the same distance from the centerline.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I put my down and as low as possible to still have arrow clearance. With a 31.5" draw I want the angle as low as possible. The only way I would put it up would be if I was going rack my hand on it letting the bow down each time.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
one cable has to go to from cam to limb and one cable has to go from cam to cam. if not the cams don't draw energy off the bending limbs and the limbs won't drive the cams on the shot. if they both go from cam to limb, you have a conventional twin cam bow, and if they both go from cam to cam, they work against each other and prevent each other from rotating the cams when you try to draw the bow, or you have a binary cam system, depending on how the cables are routed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.