Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a switchback and I'm having a problem with. my cable is popping out of the roller guide at the shot. It's only coming out of the roller on the inside. I tried shooting some new arrows that are 330gr and thats when I saw the cable sitting off the roller, so I shot my other arrows that are 400gr and no problems:confused: . I'm only shooting 53# and have shot 320gr arrows out of this bow before and never had a problem with this. my setup is

switchback 53lbs
27inch draw
330gr arrows
T/T shakey hunter

I have the T/T cord tied to the cable that is popping out if that helps.

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
320 and 330 is like dry firing your bow I advise against it(probably your problem). If your still having trouble with the heavey arrow have it checked out before you do some real damage.:wink:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is that the original cable?
If not, is it served where it goes through the roller guard?
(It needs to be.)
A budy of mine bought a new Zebra string & cables for his LX at a "Pro Shop". The installer didn't know it had to be served where it went through the rollers. He was having the kind of trouble you mention until he got the cable served.
-D

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
BigD_N_Cherokee said:
Is that the original cable?
If not, is it served where it goes through the roller guard?
(It needs to be.)
A budy of mine bought a new Zebra string & cables for his LX at a "Pro Shop". The installer didn't know it had to be served where it went through the rollers. He was having the kind of trouble you mention until he got the cable served.
-D
If your friend would have had the proper Zebra string and Cable(they are made by Mathews) put on it would have been served. Mathews makes the same size cable and string with and without the serving. The ones made for Mathews bows is served for that reason.:wink:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dale_B1 said:
If your friend would have had the proper Zebra string and Cable(they are made by Mathews) put on it would have been served. Mathews makes the same size cable and string with and without the serving. The ones made for Mathews bows is served for that reason.:wink:
Don't know the specifics. Evidently the "PRO" was going to make the wrong string work.
D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just because I am no expert, but I do not see how the lack of serving could contribute to the cable popping out of the roller. Perhaps someone can suggest a reason. It seems to me that something else must be going on here. Enlighten me guys.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Smokegrub said:
Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just because I am no expert, but I do not see how the lack of serving could contribute to the cable popping out of the roller. Perhaps someone can suggest a reason. It seems to me that something else must be going on here. Enlighten me guys.
The diameter will not be as big and will be small enough to fit over the side of the roller wheel and the bracket that retains it.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Did anyone happen to notice the last sentence he wrote----------

#1--- doubt that shooting a 330gn arrow is like dry firing.
#2--- Just guessing but I'd say the cable is served-- probably still factory string but---- we don't know that .
#3--- My first guess is that the TT cord is putting too much pressure on the cable.:wink: :wink:

Code3--- start a process of elimination to solve the problem. If your cable is served. Start with adjusting the TT cord and try to resolve the problem. If it doensn't help-- take it to a good pro shop that knows Mathews and save some time. They'll get you fixed up. Or, just let us know what your situation is and I'm sure Sage can tell ya what to do.:wink: :darkbeer: :darkbeer: A muzzy zero effect will eliminate the problem probably.

·
Registered
109 Posts
stehawk said:
Did anyone happen to notice the last sentence he wrote----------

#1--- doubt that shooting a 330gn arrow is like dry firing.
#2--- Just guessing but I'd say the cable is served-- probably still factory string but---- we don't know that .
#3--- My first guess is that the TT cord is putting too much pressure on the cable.:wink: :wink:

Code3--- start a process of elimination to solve the problem. If your cable is served. Start with adjusting the TT cord and try to resolve the problem. If it doensn't help-- take it to a good pro shop that knows Mathews and save some time. They'll get you fixed up. Or, just let us know what your situation is and I'm sure Sage can tell ya what to do.:wink: :darkbeer: :darkbeer: A muzzy zero effect will eliminate the problem probably.

I agree with stehawk

At 53lbs you can shoot a 265gr arrow without any ill effects. The 5gr per pound rule is a minimum and build with a "fudge" factor for safety. I know many an archer who shoots right at the 5gr/lb and the only symptom they seem to notice is a slightly louder shot... and in all of these cases thousands of these shots have been put through their rig without anything breaking.

I also agree with the TT cord... if the TT cord is too tight and lifting the rest too early, you will definetly be having some cable pulling going on which is probably lifting the cable out of the slide. I would check the cord... and definetly take it to a respectable shop and save yourself some troubleshooting time.

JMO

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guy's,:darkbeer: :darkbeer:

I was going over my bow last night and found the TT cord where it is tied onto the cable is turned to the inside of the riser, and at full draw the cord is causing some stress on the cable. Going to my pro shop today to fix the problem.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Dale_B1 said:
320 and 330 is like dry firing your bow I advise against it(probably your problem). If your still having trouble with the heavey arrow have it checked out before you do some real damage.:wink:
320 grains divided by 53# is like 6 grains per pounds hardly a dry fire and should shoot fine out of his bow.:confused:

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
i had that trouble with a lx...put the bow in spec & all will be fine..the only way that cord could cause that is if it's way to short. your arrows are plenty heavy.............:darkbeer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts