Archery Talk Forum banner

Cable roller vs Cable slide which do you prefer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that more and more bows are going to cable rollers. I don't get it.:confused: It must cost more to produce and what if any benefit is there.

I am not a big fan because it takes away my options for tuning.

So I'd like to hear from the AT guru's. Pro's, Con's. Like or hate em or it just don't make a difference.:)

· Registered
3,469 Posts
For me it doesn't matter either way, but my buddies General's cables are in the way of his vanes making him shoot cock vane out. Most other rollers that I have seen give ou ample clearance so I don't think that are a bad thing and it probably is a little less harsh on the strings. On the other hand cable slides have been around for a long time and as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so that is why I say it makes no diff to me.

· Registered
23 Posts
I believe the rollers are a handicap, especially when you are talking about the binary cam.
The dynamic center of the binary bows, can be changed a ton with a little more, or a little less side tension on the cables. Not to say that it doesn't effect all bows, because it does, Just not as much, when you have a split yoke cable to play with. Why take away a tuning option?????
Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth less than that !!!

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
Until recently, I was shooting an Outback which had the string and cable backwards on the roller guide and it shot awesome . I had the shop get it right though and all I had to do was to move the sight to the right and it's stacking arrows again and would you believe it actually draws smoother. hahahaha..........:wink:

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously both have pro's and con's. If I had to choose a bow that offered one or the other I would choose the cable guard and slide. Why? Not 100% sure. I wish that you could take the same bow and shoot them side by side.

There must be some reason that the industry goes more and more with cable rollers. There must be a reason. Anybody?

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
Obviously both have pro's and con's. If I had to choose a bow that offered one or the other I would choose the cable guard and slide. Why? Not 100% sure. I wish that you could take the same bow and shoot them side by side.

There must be some reason that the industry goes more and more with cable rollers. There must be a reason. Anybody?
Um....because Mathews does it!:zip:

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
344 Posts
I've seen the combination roller/cable slides for sale that seems to be a good solution exept they're made like crap. If I had acess to a bridgeport mill I could easily make a slide utilizing sealed bearings that would offer virtually friction free cable movement and still be able to offer different offsets for different bows. I was/am a tool & die maker but now am a field engineer for cutting tools so I no longer have a mill available at my disposal. It would be an expensive solution but would offer the best of both worlds. I'm sure I could produce them for $55 - 65.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Cable Guard

Roller guards don't serve a legitimate purpose. The argument that it saves wear on cables is crap...just get yourself a quality cable slide like one made by Hoyt and there is no cable wear anyways. Also, the extra tension that the roller guard puts on the cables and limbs is enough to make me never want to buy one! And yes, the roller guard does put extra tension on the limbs and strings...just take a bow with a roller guard and replace it with a standard cable guard and tell me what happens to your poundage:rolleyes:. I just prefer the X-cam, which eliminates the need for these dirty cable guards completely.

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far it seems that it is pretty much a dead heat between the 3 choices. With slide slightly ahead.

Maybe someone in R&D could explain to me the advantages of a whole line of bows going to the roller system. Not to mention the string supressors. But that is a whole other poll. That I see as being somewhat benefitial.:wink:

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Set your butt on the floor and skoot from one wall to the next. Now set your butt on a skate board and try it again.

Now consider your jeans as the string and distance traveled equal to drawing your bow. Also consider two friction points on both devices.

Come back and tell me what you learned.

:)

· Registered
3,538 Posts
I shoot an Oneida as my main bow so that will tell you how picky I am about smooth draw. I tried other compounds but there was always a stickyness on the draw that I found unacceptable. A while back I tried a friends Ovation and found that the roller guide got rid of most if not all of that stickyness. Since then I bought a Mathews LX as my release aid bow and while it does not have the smooth draw that I like for shooting off fingers It is noticeablely better than a slider bow.

· Registered
3,538 Posts
Come to think of it ,sooner or later some one will design a roller guide that will resist the sideways pressure as a roller guide does but allow movement back and forwards as a slider does to stop the extra pressure on the limbs or sort of sliding roller. Some thing along the lines of a single motor cycle front fork leg reduced in size with the rollers mounted on the end.

· Registered
866 Posts
if you take a bow and shoot it with roller guard then shoot it with the cable slide, the draw will be smoother and it will be easier to pull back with the cable slide. the roller guards dont have very much flex to them like a slide and rod does. i also hear people say that the rollers are quieter. well are they? i dont think there is any difference between the two sound wise. compare my gto to the iron mace i use to have and there wasnt any difference sound wise. just stick with the good ole slide and rod.:wink:

· Registered
9,514 Posts
It really doesn't matter too me, I've shot Hoyt, and PSE and they had cable slide's and I had no problem's. I shoot Mathew's so now I've got roller guards which I thought the theory behind them was less friction, it does make them a little harder to tune because of the idler lean you have to put in them but other than that I don't notice any difference in how they perform

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ttt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.