Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chill R on order and I'm looking at rests for it. I've used the QAD HDX successfully on the Mr7 but I've been reading a bit about limb rests. Anyone care to comment on the advantages of cable driven vs limb driven rests?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The risk of disrupting cam timing is minimized if you use the limb driven. The arrow stays on the rest longer with a limb driven, too.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I use both, to be honest you can't go wrong with either. Limb drivers are the best limb driving and Qad is the best cable driving. Like I said I use both so either way you can't loose

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
They're both great but the limb driven just has no interference with the cable. The only slight possible downside to the limb driven that I don't like is it's easier to move the point that you tie to the limb which would concern me for timing. I don't think it's been an issue for limb drivers but me personally I don't like that. I go with the qad because it is served into my cable and it it hasn't moved a millimeter since I put it on in march. Never had to mess with it or adjust it one time. As long as you know where to tie the qad on the cable, you won't have any issues with it causing any pull on them. I'm using a qad on my mathews chill r that's coming in

·
Comp Target/ Gear mod
5,858 Posts
Limb driven stays up longer.
Adjustable support for the arrows (Spring tension…at least on Limb Driver brands)
super fast and easy to set the timing.
Raises slowly and smoothly as you draw vs. popping up at the last second and bouncing your arrow (unless it has a cocking feature…but I would rather not deal with that on every shot)
Doesn't mess with your cam timing
Tie to your axle, or a clamp for zero issues with movement….also seen people to to the V of a harness.

I see virtually no advantages for a traditional drop away.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Really is personal preference deal. I see no difference in accuracy down range between the two, although if you are shooting a high FOC arrow setup I think the limb driven rests are better for that particular setup as it supports the arrow longer. As far as limb driven rests I used to be a big advocate of the TT Smackdown Pro FC's but lately I'm seeing and having issues with the screws not holding tight, especially the elevation screw. Because of this I would recommend the LD Micro Elite, what a smooth rest that is.

The QAD HDX is IMO the best cable driven rest out, and is the best hunting rest made....once cocked it's full containment and stays up on let down.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Really is personal preference deal. I see no difference in accuracy down range between the two, although if you are shooting a high FOC arrow setup I think the limb driven rests are better for that particular setup as it supports the arrow longer. As far as limb driven rests I used to be a big advocate of the TT Smackdown Pro FC's but lately I'm seeing and having issues with the screws not holding tight, especially the elevation screw. Because of this I would recommend the LD Micro Elite, what a smooth rest that is.

The QAD HDX is IMO the best cable driven rest out, and is the best hunting rest made....once cocked it's full containment and stays up on let down.
I learned a long time ago.......the first thing I do with any rest is take the steel screws out, coat the threads with string wax and put back together. No issues at all with my smack down pro!

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
I learned a long time ago.......the first thing I do with any rest is take the steel screws out, coat the threads with string wax and put back together. No issues at all with my smack down pro!
I'm glad you have had no issues. The issues I have seen and heard from others is the screw doesn't "grab" tight enough, this is the elevation screw 99% of the time. It's not that they're backing out or loosening....they just are junk screws. I have since changed out all of mine to a higher grade bolt and bought a couple hundred of the high grade bolts to swap out customers TT screws. This has since rectified all issues that I know of.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I wont shoot a cable driven.

Limbdrivers for me.

So much less hassle, easier to work in bow, make slight cable adjustments

·
74,535 Posts
Used both and believe if both are properly installed they both do equally well.

I perfer the cable tied myself.
DB

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,334 Posts
In my opinion the Limb Drivers a (or that type) are as K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) as a drop away gets. You are not relying on ANYTHING mechanical to make the rest falls. The rest MUST drop when it is "driven" down by the limb.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I have shot many rests over the years and have set up just as many. I prefer the ripcords all around but have become very fond of the new SOS. It's limb activated but still has the cocking ability of a normal ripcord. I have seen less issues with the ripcord than the qad especially in the last two years.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
i only hunt, therefore i prefer cable driven. i use to have a Limb Driver but i did not like the fact that it had a long cord from the rest to the top limb. i got that cord caught in brush a couple times and like to have ripped it from the limb/rest. so now i use the cable driven because it uses a shorter timing cord.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i only hunt, therefore i prefer cable driven. i use to have a Limb Driver but i did not like the fact that it had a long cord from the rest to the top limb. i got that cord caught in brush a couple times and like to have ripped it from the limb/rest. so now i use the cable driven because it uses a shorter timing cord.
This is an interesting perspective. I should have noted in my initial post that I will be using this bow almost exclusively for hunting. Aside from the longer cord as a potential issue, full containment is a priority for me.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I wont shoot a cable driven.

Limbdrivers for me.

So much less hassle, easier to work in bow, make slight cable adjustments
X2...

They do everything better IMHO. Going to try the new G5 rest to see how I like it. Limb Driven and can start in the up position.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I use both, to be honest you can't go wrong with either. Limb drivers are the best limb driving and Qad is the best cable driving. Like I said I use both so either way you can't loose
this is subjective. I've had three different brands of drop away rests and all worked great. I'd use all three again. non were QAD.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I like the limb driven rests better, but my QAD also works just fine. I mounted a Hamskea on my Elite Pure, had to go with cable driven, limb clamp didn't have enough clearance, for me at least, being it's a solid limb. Works great, one day I'm going to try the cable slide option to see how it works, should be great for hunting, the activating cable would be very short. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I very much prefer limb driven...my rest of choice is the LimbDriver Micro-Elite...it gives you all the benefits of a limb driver rest, with the peace of mind that if your locking bolt loosens for some reason, your rest will still not move much! Few other rests can do that...

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
This is an interesting perspective. I should have noted in my initial post that I will be using this bow almost exclusively for hunting. Aside from the longer cord as a potential issue, full containment is a priority for me.
Longer cord doesnt present anymore of an issue than your string/cables do.

Now full containment changes things up some -

1 - 20 of 36 Posts