Archery Talk Forum banner

Cadillac of whitetail rigs.

3881 55
Sleeve Bicycle part Machine Font Auto part
Output device Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive design
Wood Office supplies Metal Fashion accessory Writing implement
Tool Knife Blade Composite material Metal
Wood Composite material Natural material Metal Fashion accessory
Writing implement Font Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Stationery
I like a lot of bows…a lot. Various bows stand out for various reasons, from comfort to technology to materials used, several have unique features I appreciate. Sometimes though a bow stands out due to just an overall quality build and predictable performance.

Much like a Cadi, you know you are not getting the cutting edge mid engine performance of a Supercar, but you can depend on a well built vehicle and a predictable and comfortable ride. To me the V3X 29 is that rig for hunting whitetails.

I have circled back around to the V3X after owning one when they first came out then moving on to buy and try all the flagship bows for 2022. The PSE Levitate stayed because it was built by a good buddy of mine, and at 86lb it will be my Cape Buffalo bow, but the rest have moved on. All great bows really but the V3X 29 has held my attention for a great white tail rig.

It is short but just long enough to be shootable at distance. Not the first bow I would choose for a 80 yard shot, but dang few times have I drawn on a whitetail beyond 40 yards. It is extremely quiet, more so than any other bow I have heard. I like that. A silent bow to me is a definite plus and a sign of a well built rig. It is also fast. Not quite as fast as the Levitate or xf30 but plenty quick. My arrows are 462 grains and chrono’ed out at 292fps at 29/70. That’s over 85ft-lb of K.E. for a bow for deer, performance that would be unheard of in a silent, easy drawing bow 15 years ago. The valley isn’t great. It is on the short side, but good enough. The grip isn’t my favorite either, but side plates and shadow creek pads might change that, we will see.

To pair with the bow I picked what I thought were great whitetail type accessories.

I went with the integrated QAD rest as I will take the full containment security of the QAD when in a tree with the wind blowing over the extremely slight accuracy advantage of a Hamsky. The sight is a black gold custom whitetail special. 4 pins and a 2inch housing as some of my best bucks have been take at last light and that larger housing and corresponding larger 1/4 peep gives me the best chance at seeing everything. Setting the 3rd axis on the whitetail special is a bit of hillbilly and luck, and it is not exactly on but I will take a handy and compact shooting sight on a rig where most shots are 30 yards and in.

The arrows are the discontinued Hexx. I had several around with the 75gr brass insert so I used those. Paired with a B3 Meg, the G5 Megameat and the A2 head for when I am in the blinds and might have to take a frontal shot I think I am good to go. Obnoxious pink and orange vanes and strobing nocks finish it out and on a whitetail setup I will take lighted nocks every day of the week.

6in Mathew’s stabilizer out front, and absolutely no side/back bar for a whitetail rig.

The bow is silent and shoots hard and to me a Cadillac of a whitetail rig!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Don't you have to tear apart half the engine to change a starter on some Cadis? Plus pay extra for a Jack and spare? I'm surprised yours is so quick isn't that close to 350 ibo? Buddy loves his. He's a huge Hoyt fan boy but is using the V3X over them but same negative comments as you as far as grip. He also doesn't care for draw cycle. But dang thing shoots.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Each Archer Has Their Idea of what is Top Shelf and some change up often. This is why we do not all Shoot the Same Equipment from Bows, to Rests to Sights to Arrows Or Broadheads as Too Many Choices and Once You Find What WORKs for One does Not Always work for The Next. My Set Up is 1997 Year Bow Model, with a WB, XX75 & XX78, Magnus BHs & Sword Sight Been shooting it since 2003. Does All I Need and has!
We All Have CHOICES You Have Your's...
LFM

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,675 Posts
Drives me nuts thinking about bows. They are all so great and the differences are so minuscule. I'd be happy with anything out there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Bear moment 65#, Elite Impulse 31 81.5#, Xpedition Xscape 80.5#, Hoyt turbo hawk rkt cams 75.5#
2,101 Posts
Nothing like a bow that fits and agrees with you, congratulations! Love Mathews bows and the company. I feel the same about my Refine. Actually sounded like you were describing it until you started talking about the short valley, having to make the grip better, and slightly slower speed. None of those issues and its very quiet and quick too, especially after adding dual string stops like a few years ago. No need to change stock strings so far, hasn't budged since started shooting it. That's probably just luck though. The difference is your bow is viewed as top shelf and mine is viewed as Wal-Mart junk. Its hilarious, but I dig it. You could sell yours for a couple 100$ less than you paid and I couldn't give mine away lol! Good luck this season and very sharp rig. I'm not bashing just pointing out differences of perception.

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
I have to agree, its purpose built for blind or treestand hunting whitetails no doubt. But comparing it to a Caddy I am not so sure about. The Cadillac of today is a piece of crap.
I find modern Cadillac owners to be a funny group, easy to distinguish , kind of like the guys and girls modding corollas and
civics just with more $$. Throw a fat pipe on it and a couple of hi end audio window stickers lol.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts