Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know my bows sight radius in order to make the most accurate sight tapes possible with Pinwheel Software's OnTarget!2. I do not have a draw board.

The sight radius is defined as the distance from the sight pin to the peep sight at full draw.

That being said, if I had a 28" draw length, could I measure the distance from the pin to the string at rest, add 28", and then subtract out the brace height to arrive a pretty accurate answer? I know the peep sight is closer to the pin than the D Loop at full draw, but I could calculate how much closer relatively easily and subtract that out as well.

Do you more experienced techs think this would work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Don't guess or estimate the two measurements that you need for the Ontarget2 program. These measurement are critical for an accurate sight tape. While your at full draw, also measure the vertical distance from the center of the peep to the center of the arrow shaft. A draw board is really easy to make for a few bucks and is the safest way to take the measurement. If you have any kind of work bench, then you aleady have the base for a vertical draw board. Search the DIY forum for example. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Don't guess or estimate the two measurements that you need for the Ontarget2 program. These measurement are critical for an accurate sight tape. While your at full draw, also measure the vertical distance from the center of the peep to the center of the arrow shaft. A draw board is really easy to make for a few bucks and is the safest way to take the measurement. If you have any kind of work bench, then you aleady have the base for a vertical draw board. Search the DIY forum for example. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.
So you mean the middle of the arrow shaft and where do they ask for this measurement. I just purchased ot2 and I'm not positive on all the stuff they are asking for

·
Registered
574 Posts
So you mean the middle of the arrow shaft and where do they ask for this measurement. I just purchased ot2 and I'm not positive on all the stuff they are asking for
OT2 on the Equipment page in the dimension section: Peep Height is the vertical distance from the center of the peep to the middle of the arrow shaft at full draw. Followed by Sight Radius which is the distance from the pin to the center of the peep at full draw.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Don't have your wife or girlfriend do this for you. I still cannot believe how my wife could be so far off. And how could she always come up with even inches. So save your marriage and do not let her measure for you.

For your information, at full draw, measure middle of lens (not scope) to string at nocking point. Draw with your release and with an arrow and point in a safe direction. I have always found that my draw board is always at least 1/4 inch off unless you have (not your wife) mark your arrow at full draw aiming at a target and then use your draw board to get the same position with the arrow on the bow.

While still at full draw or with draw board at proper draw, measure from middle of aperature on peep straight down to middle of arrow shaft. Good luck. To test if distances are correct, Use the 20 feet on OT2 or the 3 yards on Archery Advantage mark and at the marked distance, shoot at an arrow hole. So to explain better, using OT2 after setting up the bow as I described above, take the 20 feet mark and at exactly 20 feet, shoot an arrow at a bullet hole. If the distances were measured correctly, the arrow will hit the hole. If not measure again as thes measurements are only for short distances.

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,571 Posts
Without someone to help measure, you can get "pretty close" doing the following:

Measuring Sight Radius..

Wrap a rubber-band around the scope head.

Get a piece of serving thread or braided fishing line a foot or two longer than your DL and sight extension in from tot the riser. ( Monofilament fishing line might work as long as it's heavy enough not to stretch )

Feed the thread/line under the rubber band. When you pull it should feed smoothly.

Pull enough through and tie to your peep.

Draw the bow.

When you let down the rubber band should clamp onto the thread/line and hold it.

Pinch and hold or mark ( white out ) the thread/line at the point under the rubber band.

Remove the rubber band pull the thread/line straight and measure at the mark or pinch point.

THis will be a pretty close Sight Radius.

Measuring Peep Height..

Nock an arrow and put it on your rest. If the rest is a drop away, lock or hold it in the up position.

Set your moveable sight as if you were going to make a 15yd shot.

Measure center of arrow to the center of the scope or pin.

This will be a pretty close Peep Height.

Just remember "pretty close" is just that and not exact.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
I need to know my bows sight radius in order to make the most accurate sight tapes possible with Pinwheel Software's OnTarget!2. I do not have a draw board.

The sight radius is defined as the distance from the sight pin to the peep sight at full draw.

That being said, if I had a 28" draw length, could I measure the distance from the pin to the string at rest, add 28", and then subtract out the brace height to arrive a pretty accurate answer? I know the peep sight is closer to the pin than the D Loop at full draw, but I could calculate how much closer relatively easily and subtract that out as well.

Do you more experienced techs think this would work?

Thanks!
No, that would not work......you have to account fro string angle to get peep - pin, and what you are describing does not account for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts