Archery Talk Forum banner

Call me the village idiot............

1712 Views 32 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  BLan
I know its"probably"just a gimmick",but I'm still curious.Is there anything at all to the "balance bracelets"you see advertised on TV.I find that one of my shortcomings in a steady shot is my balance,sometimes I waver around a little,if these work at all they might help me and maybe others as well.....anyone have any thoughts or experience with them.Go ahead and laugh and poke fun,I don't mind at all,but if there's anything to them I would take a chance on being the "village idiot",wouldn't be my 1st rodeo.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,382 Posts
I can't say with any authority that it is a hoax, because I have not tried the product myself.

Lets just say...I'm a little more than skeptical.

You know what they say, "there's a sucker born every minute".

· Registered
2,401 Posts
I got one for my wife, she had a stroke 6 years ago and her balance has not been the best. It seems to work for her. I don't know if it's just a mind thing or if it really works, but for her it's working.
Don.

32,934 Posts
One thing about it....you'll only be out $20.00.

I went to a see a lady give a demo one night at Twin Lakes RV Park in Ariz. and she asked me a few questions about some things happening inside my body, where I had aches and pains etc. She asked me to grip her hand as hard as I could and she put a finger on a part of my neck and asked me to grip her hand again and I had alot more strength in my grip......She did some amazing things similar to the balance thing also and I was impressed. Maybe there is something to it......sometimes mind over body has a lot to do with it.....

· Registered
4,479 Posts
I dont know,but they always show pushing on the person first and then with the bracelet second. I think your mind will do great things for balance when it knows what to expect the second time. Like to see that done the other way around. Years ago I did buy the round nikken magnets from somebody after 9 months of a knee injury that wasnt improving and put one on both sides of knee while sleeping and saw noticable improvement within 4 weeks. I have tried it for other things without the same success so I think it depends what the problem is. My friends say it was in my head but I said hey, who cares if its in my head or not, my knee feels better.

32,934 Posts
I dont know,but they always show pushing on the person first and then with the bracelet second. I think your mind will do great things for balance when it knows what to expect the second time. Like to see that done the other way around. Years ago I did buy the round nikken magnets from somebody after 9 months of a knee injury that wasnt improving and put one on both sides of knee while sleeping and saw noticable improvement within 4 weeks. I have tried it for other things without the same success so I think it depends what the problem is. My friends say it was in my head but I said hey, who cares if its in my head or not my knee feels better.
I can verify that statement cause I had a knee that was killing me and I went to see a guy who sold knee braces with magnets. I could hardly walk when I went in the place and I put on the brace and sat around and talked to the guy for about an hour and when I got up to leave the knee was much improved. I walked out and two days later I was on the golf course playing golf........the magnets work, at least it did on me....

· Registered
4,825 Posts
I went through the demo. There was no noticable difference when they did it to me. When they did it to my wife, there was.

One person I watched closely on, when they have you hold your arms out, they push on your arm further out when you are not holding the bracelet, this actucally increased the force to throw you off balance.

Scam? Not sure.

· Shootin and Cussin
27,294 Posts
I tried them a few years ago and they did not work for me.....

· Registered
1,617 Posts
I got one for my wife, she had a stroke 6 years ago and her balance has not been the best. It seems to work for her. I don't know if it's just a mind thing or if it really works, but for her it's working.
Don.
I don't think those bracelets really do a dern thing. But, I understand how they can help someone (like your wife) with the mental aspect of balance or strength. As for the OP, it might not actually help your balance, but it might improve your mental game and help your shooting.

· Registered
7,049 Posts
Do a search there was something in the news not long ago about some band or bracelet that all the athletes etc were wearing that was shown to be a hoax. Randy

· Registered
22,716 Posts
Not saying they work or don't . Up to you to make up your mind. But , watch the video real closely. Anytime they are pushing on your arms and so on without the bracelet, they are pushing out away from your body (away from your center of gravity). They let you put the bracelet on, then when they push, they push into your body (into your center of gravity).

Here is one of the videos floating around

· Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
27,502 Posts
I see alot of people useing them I saw the same commercial and it says money back guarantee so try it what do you have to lose. I believe they are some type of magnet they use so Im not sure how its good for you but people swear by them...Let us know how it works

· Registered
3,673 Posts
There was a class action lawsuit currently in place bc of these bracelets. Lamar Odom and Shaq were named as defendants due to their endorsement...something similar took place in Australia or the UK and the plaintiffs were awarded refunds among other things. Not sure if they work, but I see them everywhere!

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Mine draws the demons out of me. Of course the devil puts 'em back in every night.

74,554 Posts
Well I know several very good archers using them with success.

Shooting partner at monroe purchased one one and shot one of his best scores ever in semi pro.

DB

· Registered
22,716 Posts
Here is one Penn and Teller did on the Placebo effect

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.