Archery Talk Forum banner

Call Shy Turkeys Help

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  slowhandstl 
#1 ·
I know there is probally a thread around here on this topic, but I was unable to locate one. I am no expert turkey hunter, or caller. I know the basics. Opening day was awsome. Sencond day not so good, now the birds will not respond to anything. As Im walking in I can hear the birds gobbling everywhere. I get set up and when the birds hit the ground that's it. I have tried everything. I even just set there scracthing the leaves every once in a while without calling. Or if I hear a gobbler I just put a soft cluck out there and they shut up. There is a few others that hunt the land on weekends. There is alot of turkeys there. Just so frustrated at the birds right now. And to add to this, the other day I drove by just at day break, where I park my truck when I go hunting and there was a hen standing there. It was like an insult. I am trying to get a friend to go with me to a place where he has permission to hunt. But trying to get him to go is kinda hard. Any Help ? Thanks !

#3 ·
There are two strategies. First, find out where the turkeys naturally go after they fly down and be there. Turkeys tend to use the same travel patterns and if you can know where they are going you can be in their path and kill one of them. Second, hunt mid morning after the hens have gone to their nest. Those toms will be searching for some lovin.

#4 ·
I have been heading in before 10 or shortly after. I know the birds fly down walk through a small wooded area and then cross a small open area. Just the areas are so wide it is hard to find where they cross. Here in Mo. we can only hunt until 1 pm. I dont know why I think evening hunting would be better. But yea I will try and stay longer or get out later . Thanks

#6 ·
birds that quit gobbling after touching down are obviously with hens. The best caller in the world is not going to call this bird away from then hens. Find a bird without hens and he will come in, possibly try to call then hens in, or hunt them like deer on a travel route and hope they walk by. Henned birds are the toughest.

#8 ·
when birds are henned up, ill call aggresive to get a dominant hen all charged up. if u get that oppurtunity to call the dominant hen with any tactic, the gobbler will follow. if birds dont want to play early morning, ill go back home, get a cup of coffee, and hit the woods mid morning as hens are going back to thier nests and gobblers start searching again.

#9 ·
Lots of great advice already given. I would second the notion to hunting later in the morning, right up to the 1PM cut off. I would not get out there later, I would be there at daylight and stick with them until closing time! I wouldn't move around a lot, as you can spook birds without knowing it. When I heard a bird get fired up between 09:30 and 11:00 if I felt like I needed to close the distance and thought I could get set up closer without bumping him, I would do that and then try to sweet talk him in. Good luck!

#11 ·
Perfect advice. This man is a seasoned veteren who said it exactly like I would have. No movement while waiting , that is why most people dont see the gobbler. Lots of the old birds come in quiet. Usually 1 call in morning is all you need and that old gobbler will have you pinned down exactly where you are at. Good hunting. :frusty:

#10 ·
I'm tagged out for the season. It wasn't exactly easy since birds were henned up really bad. I've been seeing lots of toms strutting by themselves with no hens between 11:00 and 1:00. I had to use the spot and stalk / sneaky ******* method to get both my birds. Although I shot both my birds early in the morning, I pretty much knew their pattern. That helps alot. So far, there's been lots of good advice posted. It's mostly luck anyway Good luck to you bro:thumbs_up

#12 ·
I've killed more gobblers later in the day than first thing. If they hit the ground and shut up, most likely with hens. Often they will remember where you are and come back later. You may be leaving before they show up. The other stategy is figure out where they are going, and get there before they do.

GL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.