Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had much luck calling in does with a fawn bleat? If so what kind of call? I am involved with our city deer hunting program and thought about giving it a try.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It worked one time on the first day of the season, and she came running right in. She stopped about 20 yards from me, and the rest is history. I don't know the brand of call I was using, but I do know that it was a lot quieter than most calls on the market. Give it a try it may work. Good luck and keep us posted.:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah now too with fawns still with there mothers......use a fawn distress bleat....I use a true talker to do that and they will try to run you over to find the fawn that would be in distress!

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
oh yeah!!!! it works great in early season when does and fawns still have a little connection..i use it when the woods seem slow and quiet..blow a few fawn in distress calls and it'll at least get them on their feet and investigating..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fot the replys guys. How about a few more!:)

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
It will work.....the first 2 weeks of season.

Believe it or not....if you can make that "wonderful" snort that does make when they've busted you try that. Try that AFTER you fawn distress call.

WHUUHHHHHH............most mature does will come in to investigate.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hey guys you all are saying early season but we all hunt different places. Whats your early season? Are there any video's of this being done? I'd love to see a doe react to this call. Thanx!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes, the fawn distress call works awesome very early in the season. I have actually jumped up does in front of me, then blow the distress call and had them come running right back at me.

·
Banned
97 Posts
worked for me i used a can last year and got my earn a buck, it came right under my stand i was absolutely amazed how focused it was looking for that call, never even knew i was there until i smoked it!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I remember watching a TV show a few years back that showed a man with his son. They were obviously in an area with a high deer population. Anyway, he sat down with his son on the ground in some cover and started making some fawn in distress calls. Does were almost running over him and his son. Exciting experience for the boy I am sure. Not sure what time of the year it was but they were not hunting, just having some fun.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My buddy tried it twice last year. Both times he had multiple deer come in, the tough part was getting a shot with all those eyes and ears on him.

We still laugh about it, they came out of the woodwork, he claims he'll have to be desperate to try that again! LOL

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
GreggWNY said:
And be prepared for the occassional coyote that comes running in to the distress call.

Ummmmmm ... works on bears, too!

I had a gigantic Black Bear come into my stand looking for an easy meal when I was using my fawn distress call. He left after more than 10 heart-pounding minutes of sniffing, sitting, and searching all over the immediate area. I was sure glad I was in a tree stand -- although if you have ever seen a determined bear go up a tree you know it would only have taken him a few seconds to have been sitting in my lap.

I was unarmed except for my bow. After that day I carry a .44 magnum pistol too. It may not be "enough gun" but it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does want me!!!

Well I took everyones advice and ordered a Knight and Hale fawn bleat from Cabelas last night. Sounds like I better take a big stick to beat them off me to!! What kind of a calling sequence do I use?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Im curious about this as well. I have never tried it. Not even sure what a distress call or fawn bleat sounds like. Is it similar to a doe bleat? What kind of sequence are you suppose to use?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is ttt?:confused:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i use a knight and hale fawn distress call that works good for me

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
bakes said:
Well I took everyones advice and ordered a Knight and Hale fawn bleat from Cabelas last night. Sounds like I better take a big stick to beat them off me to!! What kind of a calling sequence do I use?
You almost want to make sound like a doe bleat, but first start off with some quieter bleats and get louder as you go. Make it sound like that fawn is lost and looking for mommy. Be ready though because the s*** gets exciting fast. Good luck and keep us posted.:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts