Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the prefered configuration on the UltraTec, the standard cam 1/2 or the Spiral Cam? I prefer a solid wall and also dislike the feeling of the string being torn away from my hand if I was to creep a bit, which setup would be the better choice?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think you will find the Cam and a half better on the Ultratec for that very reason. It also has some draw length adjustment which the Spiral does not !! The Ultratec with C.5 is one hell of a good bow !!

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I've had both and sold the Spiral. I thought I would break a better release shooting back tension but found out that the standard cam broke just as clean.

I figured "why shoot a 65% cam if the release is the same?"

It's a lot faster though. Was shooting 294 fps with my target shafts at 56 lbs. Couldn't shoot ASA with that set up.

The spiral is good if it's all about the speed. I'm a little guy so I'll take the let off. Standard cam is plenty fast. And still has a good wall.

Spiral Cam is P & Y legal though.

Plus and minus either way you look at it. If possible, shoot both and get the one that feels the best to you;)

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
I like the spiral cam alot more than the standard cam. But I like a very hard wall and the standard cam.5 doesn't give me that. It has a harder draw cycle but you can turn the poundage down a bit and still get the same or more speed. Once you get to full draw the spiral cam feeling like it is going to "take off" should be a nute point unless you have problem with creeping. It is just like shooting anyother hard two cam or hard single cam.

By the way the regular cam.5 is P&Y legal you just have to get the 65% modules.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Try the Cam & 1/2 with the 65% modules. My Ultratec with these modules has a VERY smooth transition from peak weight to the wall. There is no 'bump or hump' and the wall is rock solid. There is nothing to give the feeling that it will rip your arm off if you should creep.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
My spirals don't feel like they are going to rip my arm off. But then again I don't creep. If you do creep you have other things to worry about. You don't have proper back tension applied.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
If you creep dont get the spiral. If you like a valley dont get a spiral. If you like speed and accuracy get a spiral. :p

·
Registered
545 Posts
I prefer the spiral cam myself. It didn't take long at all to learn not to creep. LOL It has a very solid wall and that is what I wanted. I (myself) don't find it to be as solid as the cam 1/2. I get great speed from it. That is kinda hard for me being 27.5" draw. It's all personal preference though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got an Ultratec with the Cam 1/2 and then got another ultratec with the Spiral. Sold the Cam 1/2.....I love the Spiral.

I also set mine up for 55% letoff, and I'm shooting the best Target scores of my life.

You will have to try both to make your mind up. They feel totally different to each other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts