Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I don't have many hairs, I'm about ready to pull out the few I do have. I've been trying to set up my Ultra tec hunting bow and so far no matter what I do I continue to get a 3/4" to 1 1/2" high tear at about 12-15'. I've read about all the talk of the timing issue on the cam 1/2 bows. My target cam 1/2 took only a few shots to get tuned and shoots great !

My setup is a Ultra Tec w/2000 limbs set at 66lbs. 29"draw. shooting release off a string loop. I checked the TAP program on my setup and a CX300 should be in the green for spine. Right now the rest I have on is a NAP quicktune, I've tryed setting the launcher spring tension from super light to heavy and it does shoot higher as the tension is increased.

I've made sure that the timing is set, bow is set to factory specs, used differant arrow shafts, changed draw weight up/down, used couple differant arrow rests, powdered arrows to check for contact.

The only thing that has affected the tune is if I change my release loop to below the arrow nock it gets slightly smaller. But when I shoot at 15'- 10yds -15yds-20yds I still am seeing porpoising of the arrow. HELP!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I just tuned my new RazorTec Cam & 1/2. Out of the box mine was also tearing nock high. My cables were lined up perfect in the allignment window, but still couldn't tune.

Need to make sure the cables are touching & leaving the moduals at the same time. Hoyt may say you don't have to time the bow......But it tunes just like a to cam.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArcheryMachine, I checked the cam timing to make sure that they where coming off the wall at the same time. Do you think I should advance the top cam to come off just a litte quicker?

·
Registered
264 Posts
oldtwohairs,

That is how my Ultratec is setup and I have absolutely no tuning issues.I take the timing to perfect and then advance the bottom about 1-2 twist on the cables.Or you can back the top off,whatever works best.

You might want to try bareshafting through paper.This eliminates the fletching contact and eliminates the fletching correcting a problem.

Have you tried actually lowering the nock instead of raising the rest? Try both and see if one takes care of it.

This is really hard to cure over the net but these are a couple things you could try.

Hope you get it soon.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Turn limb bolts all the way in, mark them with magic marker and turn them out an equal amount. Then try bare shaft paper tune again... If tear is still present turn top bolt in 1/4 turn try bare shaft again. If worse, return top bolt to original position. And turn 1/4 turn out and try again. If better continue to adjust until tear goes away or start to get worse again.

Bottom bolt works same way....

This takes a little time but it works....

G

·
First things first...

...toohairy...don't give the paper tune another thought...

...paper tuning is WAY OVER RATED!!...

...you've no doubt already have the nock set pretty good...so get you a good center shot and take that bad boy out and do a walk back from 50-60 yards to 20...then make adjustments as necessary...

...this will take you and your bow to the next level of happiness:) ...

...paper tuning in my poor humble Farmer's opinion is WAY OVER RATED for bow tuning beyond 20yards...walk back is where it's at!!...

...you'll get all kinds of responses about overspined/underspined arrows and such with paper tuning...take it out and put it to work and adjust it to the job at hand...

...good stuff so far...lets get the guy out of the shop and on to the range!!...

>>>---DD--->;)

...I know these things!!:D ...good luck and good shooting...

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
listen to Tractorboy - go for group tuning and forget about paper tear. I was watching the slow motion, behind the bow video of the guys at the ESPN Outdoor Games. Those arrows were waggin' like a dogs tail at the park all the way to the center of the target.

Groups or tears -- what is important to ya?

;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Actually I paper tune bare shaft to start, then fine tune with groups walking back 10 yards at a time.... Of course I'm more concerned with broadhead flight than target points. But I want them shooting together. I purely hate to be adjusting my sights all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had the same problem with my Razortec. Took the advice of a previous thread addressing this problem and moved nocking point down approximately 1/8th of center. Immediately had bullet holes through paper. Easier to try than messing with Cam timing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys, I'll give a few of those things a try. This will mainly be my hunting bow and I just want to make sure that I'm getting as clean of launch as possible and of course grouping also.

In almost 30 years of shooting and tuning bows I've never had a bow that I couldn't find a rest / arrow combination that wouldn't tune up. I knew If I asked some of you would have ideas.

Thanks..I'll let you know in a few days the outcome. ------------->oldtwohairs

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the same problem. I had to put a very heavy gauge launcher on the NAP to get any improvement at all. Then I put on a GFK on and the problem went away totally. I believe it had something to do with the angle of the launcher. NAP up and down adjustments affect the angle of the launcher. GFK can be moved up and down with out changing the launcher angle. It worked for Me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts