Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting either a Protec or UltraTec for outdoor Field and FITA shooting for next season. What are some opinions about the Cam 1/2 vs. Spiral Cam 1/2, Limb selection (XL Pro vs. XT3000), Protec vs. UltraTec.

My Draw Length is 30.5 and draw weight is 60.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I have the same set-up as you, 30.5-31" and 58-60# for outdoor and indoor FITA.

This year I try 2 UltraTecs. I try the XT2000. I had very good results and I won some very important competition with it. At 31", I found that the XT2000 was too short and the string angle was affecting my anchor. I wasn't very confortable from 90m to 30m.

After that, I bought an UltraTec XT3000. Same accuracy, little bit slower. I was shooting 274 ft/sec with 60#, ACE 400, 110 gr.

My two UltraTec was 2002 model with Command Cam+

The Cam 1/2 has a shorter valley and a better wall and few extra ft/sec.

When I try my bow in th chrono, my friend had a ProTec XT3000 cam 1/2, he was shooting 271 ft/sec at 48#, ACE 520, 80gr.

In am shooting back tension release and the brace height of the UltraTec is a bit too short for me and I am hitting my arm.

My friend has a ProTec XT2000 with Spiral cam. Talk about a very accurate bow with extreme speed! I was amaze about the reaction of the bow.

My choice will be a ProTec XT3000 Spiral Cam if Hoyt will produce them in 2004!

I hope this will help you! Just my 0.02¢

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have an Ultratec with XT3000 limbs and the Spiral Cam.5
At 61# (maxed out) and a 29" draw, I am pumping out 28" Carbon Express CXL300s with 100gr points at 282fps.

No doubt that the spiral cams are fast, but the draw cycle is more harsh than the regular Cam.5. If you are used to shooting a heavier poundage bow, then 60# with the spirals would be fine. If you are used to 60# then I would look at going to a lighter draw weight to offset the agressive draw cycle.

All in all, I like the spiral cams, and find the bow to be forgiving, fast and very accurate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Protec Ultratec thing is pure preference. The brace height on the Protec is a little longer so it is in theory more fogiving but some poople just feel better with the Ultratec. It seems to be the Hoyt that the top guys use most is the Ultratec with of course the Protec a close second. The XT3000 limbs are shorter and faster than the Pros so again the pros are more forgiving with a longer A to A. Look at my sig in the bottom to see what I shoot. Knowing what I know now, and considering FITA style I would get the XT3000 UT.;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
i have both the cam & 1/2 and the spiral cam. the cam 1/2 is very smooth and though i'm pulling 70# it feels like 60#. the only drawback in my opinion is that it's very soft on the backend. so if i don't make a conscious effort to pull through, it is real easy to creep. the spiral on the other hand, won't let you creep at all. and as was aformentioned, it is a booger to pull. 60# feels like 70#. it all boils down to which you prefer. i personally prefer the spiral cam b/c it forces me to maintain back tension and i can pull less weight and get equal performance.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i have a pro tec with xt3000 limbs shooting a 345 gr.arrow 283 fps set on 66# i was shooting a mathews con. 2. i am a hoyt guy now i liked it so much i got a cybertec to hunt with ,oh yea both bows have the reg. cam 1/2 all i cana say is i love mine anyone wanna buy a conquest 2

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. It will be interesting to see what changes (if any) Hoyt makes for 2004. I did call Hoyt to find out about getting LXPro Limbs on an UltraTec and I was told they were all out of 2003 Target Colored UltraTec Risers and I would have to wait for a 2004 if I wanted an UltraTec.

I used to shoot Carbon Plus (solid) limbs with an original style Defiant Riser. That worked very well for my longer draw length.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts