Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Oldschool Hunter
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my draw board/shooter today and was looking over my bow at full draw. PSE with HF hybrid cams. Top cam is perfect. The bottom cam is leaning TOWARDS the cables with about ¼ gap from vertical at the top of the cam. I thought cam lean was generally AWAY from the cables. Maybe a weak limb? Would swapping L and R bottom limb fix it? Any ideas welcome.
I'll try to get a good pic up tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
How does the bow tune? If it tunes well via whatever method you choose to use, then leave it alone and put it out of your mind.

Any time i've tried to tune cam lean out of a bow, i ended up putting it back in to get it to tune properly.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
Here we go again! Are you having a problem with how it is shooting and tunes? I'm betting not. DO NOT MAKE ADJUSTMENTS ON LOOKS, period..
This cam lean thing on AT is totally over blown. It has people Jacking on their bows for no good reason other than looks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
the bottom cam can only be shimmed on that bow i believe and yes it should lean toward the cable slide due to forces placed on the cam by the cables. what i do is yoke tune the top cam to get a perfect bullet hole which usually induces cam lean in the same direction. (this is done if you cant shim the lower cam), you should be able to get a bullet hole this way. Dont fixate on having the cams vertical. There are some great tuners on AT. (ontarget7 is one of them)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have a older model 2008 High Country Speed Force. For an older model this thing is extremely fast. It has really bad cam lean but shoots great. The only thing that bothers me is that the cam lean is so bad that the cams eat up the serving within six months. I am going though two sets of strings per year. I know everybody says that if it shoots good to leave it along but it gets expensive to replace the strings twice a year. I just went and bought PSE and use the HC Speed Force as my back up.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
I tend to go to extremes on the bows I work on. most of the time, I will set the bottom cam to be in line and zero lean at full draw, then tune from there. I agree with some of the comments above that "if it tunes fine don't mess!" However, that doesn't mean that I don't take the time to find out which way the bow likes better. Yes by shimming the bottom cam straight at full draw could potentially change your center shot position, but more times than not after set and then tuning is done, the bow will shoot lights out!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Here we go again! Are you having a problem with how it is shooting and tunes? I'm betting not. DO NOT MAKE ADJUSTMENTS ON LOOKS, period..
This cam lean thing on AT is totally over blown. It has people Jacking on their bows for no good reason other than looks.
Yeah, I messed with my cables till I had virtually no lean right through the cycle and it tore the ass out of paper lol

I feel that shooting a bow isn't a parallel, bilateral action like say doing chin ups. We have dominant hand and eyes on one or opposing sides so I see no place in the equation for perfect symmetry. We are handed so the perfect bow must be handed and its cams must lean accordingly, I think.

·
Oldschool Hunter
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no issue with cam lean per say, most of my bows have some lean. But this cam is definitely leaning the wrong way, and not an insignificant amount either.

Lean doesn't change between brace and full draw, so lateral nock travel isn't an issue. Below is at brace with camera oriented to the riser, left limb definitely looks unequal to the right.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I had a similar issue on a 2009 Hoyt Alphamax. Noticed 1 day Cam lean was so severe the draw stop peg almost jumped the cable. Sent it back to Hoyt to have them tell me from shooting the bow like this for almost 2 years caused it to bend my axles. I concluded that cam lean not only affects arrow flight but, can also cause structural issues as well.
I have a older model 2008 High Country Speed Force. For an older model this thing is extremely fast. It has really bad cam lean but shoots great. The only thing that bothers me is that the cam lean is so bad that the cams eat up the serving within six months. I am going though two sets of strings per year. I know everybody says that if it shoots good to leave it along but it gets expensive to replace the strings twice a year. I just went and bought PSE and use the HC Speed Force as my back up.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had a similar issue on a 2009 Hoyt Alphamax. Noticed 1 day Cam lean was so severe the draw stop peg almost jumped the cable. Sent it back to Hoyt to have them tell me from shooting the bow like this for almost 2 years caused it to bend my axles. I concluded that cam lean not only affects arrow flight but, can also cause structural issues as well.
I really like this older bow. I am thinking about ordering new cams for it. If the cams do not come with axles then I would replace them too. I think if I fix this bow I should get a few more years out of this bow. Its already 8 yeas old. For an 8 year old bow, the speed on this bow is impressive. It is just as fast as the new ones coming out.

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
I have no issue with cam lean per say, most of my bows have some lean. But this cam is definitely leaning the wrong way, and not an insignificant amount either.

Lean doesn't change between brace and full draw, so lateral nock travel isn't an issue. Below is at brace with camera oriented to the riser, left limb definitely looks unequal to the right.
You never answered the question. Are you having a problem with how it shoots????? You don't fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Sorry,but that bottom cam has BAD lean to it. I can agree on "if it shoot's well don't mess with it" idea. But,that would bug the crap out of my OCD brain. If you know what you're doing,I would tear it down and make some changes.

·
Oldschool Hunter
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry,but that bottom cam has BAD lean to it. I can agree on "if it shoot's well don't mess with it" idea. But,that would bug the crap out of my OCD brain. If you know what you're doing,I would tear it down and make some changes.
You're suggesting rearranging shims or swapping limbs around?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I've had bows with more lean than that , they were tuned tack drivers . I never worried about the lean .

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
You're suggesting rearranging shims or swapping limbs around?
If it was MY bow,I would. I just re-strung my X-Force 7 today. Bottom cam at full draw was almost perfectly parralell to the string. Top cam was way to far left. Three total twists out of the left yoke,three into the right. Top cam is now almost parallel with the string. Now,the cable on the bottom cam is contacting the draw stop a bit more outside than I like,but I'll live with it.

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
If it was MY bow,I would. I just re-strung my X-Force 7 today. Bottom cam at full draw was almost perfectly parralell to the string. Top cam was way to far left. Three total twists out of the left yoke,three into the right. Top cam is now almost parallel with the string. Now,the cable on the bottom cam is contacting the draw stop a bit more outside than I like,but I'll live with it.
He is worring about the bottom cam. That is what this thread is about and the answer I gave.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
that's a lot of lean and would bother me, but if it tunes and doesn't tear up your string leave it alone. My new bow had a little bit of lean on the bottom cam and scuffs the serving on the string a bit but it tuned up good and I'm not going to mess with shimming it unless it ruins the string.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Before someone talks you into monkeying with moving shims around make sure your draw board is not pulling the string over to one side or the other, and that it draws the bow straight

1 - 20 of 31 Posts