Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on setting up a Trykon. It is set for 70 lbs, 80% letoff, 29" draw lenght shooting Beaman ICS 340's at 29" with 100 grain fp. I have arrows set up with both 4" rt helical vanes and another set with 2" blazers. I have been over the bow and followed Javi's timing instructions and read about every post on tuning the Trykon I can find. The 29" draw lenght is about 3/8" longer than my normal 28-5/8" that my other bows have been set up on. I continue to get a tip left, nock right tear that I cannot adjust out. I have tried both a QAD Ultra rest (which shows some vane contact) and a WB. I get to the final arrow tuning and get into the above mentioned tears that I cannot get rid of.
I laid a straight edge down my cams and both seem to lean very slightly toward the cable guide.

Question is, how can I remove this cam lean and is it or something else causing the right nock tear?

Also, I have backed the limbs off (2 turns) and this did not affect the tear.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Try this... set your centershot to 3/4" from the riser to the center of the arrow... and

Put your hand in the bow like this. Hold the bow away from your face so that the string is not touching your face... shoot a shot through paper at 6 feet with a bare shaft... and let me know the results..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Javi,

Okay, I changed the center shot as instructed and shot 4 seperate shots trying hard to make sure and duplicate the same draw and grip. 1st shot was a low/left to high/right tear 3/4" long diagonally and a 5/8" horizontally. 2nd shot was a vertical tear the was 5/8" bottem to top. 3rd shot was again a low/left high/right tear slightly smaller that shot 1. 4th shot I put lipstick on the fp to see which way the nock was and shot a near bullet hole (horizontal 3/8" outside to outside of tear).

Is this a sign of sometype of form problem or ?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Buck

I am too settingg up a Trykon XL
29.5 draw
60#
I have my TT rest moved as far to the left as possible
Still not a clean bullet hole
I am going to put new strings on I think that at least that will eliminate one problem
I think the fuse strings are not too good.
I also followed Javi's method and have a virticle draw board so I know that the timing, brace and AtoA is good

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
buckfevered said:
Javi,

Okay, I changed the center shot as instructed and shot 4 seperate shots trying hard to make sure and duplicate the same draw and grip. 1st shot was a low/left to high/right tear 3/4" long diagonally and a 5/8" horizontally. 2nd shot was a vertical tear the was 5/8" bottem to top. 3rd shot was again a low/left high/right tear slightly smaller that shot 1. 4th shot I put lipstick on the fp to see which way the nock was and shot a near bullet hole (horizontal 3/8" outside to outside of tear).

Is this a sign of sometype of form problem or ?
Yep...

Give me a call and we'll talk... I'll pm you the number..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay. just got my comp back up and running. It was a combination of both center shot and torque. I talked to Javi and went back through the bow completely resetting and adjusting timing, synch, etc. Once I was 100 % sure everything was correct, I began adjusting the center shot by 1/64" each way and watching what was happening in my paper tuning groups (I got all the right tools to make the small adj.). As I approached 15/16 of an inch center shot my paper tear groups began to clear up (I was very diligent on working on not torquing the bow). Once I felt good about the paper tears I began walk back tuning. I worked for two evenings on this. Onve field points were shooting great I intorduce my Thunderhead 100's to the mix. A couple of more minute (very minute) adj had them grouping with my field point very well. I am now shooting both very well. I regularly practice at 60 yards (never really intend to shoot a deer at that yardage, but you would be amazed at how steady I feel at 30 yards).

Thanks again for everybodies help.

·
John
2,732 Posts
Don't know if you already have been told this, or are aware of it, but when I tried to paper tune my bow, the cam was leaning on me too (I have a hoyt ultramag). My archery guy took the buss cables (I think that's what they are....they form a "Y" at the top cam) off and put about 5 twists in the right cable and hooked it back up. The cam lean is gone now and it shoots way quieter and straighter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts