Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of this site, and enjoy reading posts weekly. I am a fan of all bows, and watch bow brand loyalists take jabs at one another every chance they get. The one new is "cam lean." Binary Cams having cam lean.

I have not yet experienced this with my bows, nor have I seen any when helping a local dealer. However, I have had heard some customers asking questions due to thread seen on this very site. Thats fine, my friend checks out the bow, shows the customer where the cable guard offsets the cables, and gives the illusion of cam lean. Whatever, I am getting off my issue.

If the Binary Cam experiences cam lean, why don't the rest single cam or hybrid? I understand most peoples thoughts regarding the split yoke or split bus cable going on the ends of the limb. This keeps the limbs from getting unequal pressure on a side and will not offset the limbs or axles, thus eliminating cam lean.

However, why doesn't anyone talk about the bottom cam of the single cam or hybrid cam? Their is no split yoke, no split cable balancing out that limb, axle, or cam. Not to mention on a one cam does not the "cable part/side" of the long string angle badly up to the top wheel (one some models)? Would this not have even a greater affect on cam lean.

I am not a great "pro shop" mechanic on bows, and perhaps I am missing something major. It just seems odd all this talk about cam lean. I understand the problems with cam lean in the past, but if you are using that as an arguement.. then lets take a good look at the quality and technological advances in limbs and other bow parts including cables, etc. And again why not single cams and hybrid cams?

I have shoot the big 3 bows. I have owned at least one from each of the companies. I have not experienced cam on any new bow. I quess I just don't understand the where all this thought is coming from? A better explination would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Chronic cam lean worry will cause target panic in as little as 3 shots:wink:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cam lean causes far less poor shots than poor form will in fact it takes a lot of lean to put your shot off a little with most setups. But it is useful when you do miss e.g. That %&^%$* cam is leaning again #%$^%I will have to get it fixed$%$^(%^&^%(
Cheers:darkbeer:
Peter

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
All bows except for shoot through systems have a degree of cam lean. Even when it is small, like my Bowtechs:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its hard to straighten up a bottom cam [single or hybred] without a yoke, so we learn to live with it. as far as binery cams go, a straight edge laid against the top cam[ left side] will miss the bottom cam by 3/4"-1" [full draw], on my bow, and the same from the bottom cam up, I think this might be the reason why the centershot is so far left. Its still a shooter.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
So, to answer your question, most of the time cam lean is not that big of an issue. Some competing pro shops and some competing archers do make more of it than is necessary.

All bows will have cam lean unless they are of the shoot through design.

Even a little cam lean is a great excuss when needed.:zip: :wink:

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Chronic cam lean worry will cause target panic in as little as 3 shots
:ROFLMAO:

There is NO WAY to eliminate cam lean without a shoot through cam system, like Martins Nitrous-X, Barnsdales Tri-star, or Bowman's cam systems.

A split yoke can conceal it, but the fact is as the pressure from the limbs is transferred from the string to the cables as "letoff" occurs, the cam is gonna lean. The closer the cable track is to the string track the less severe it is.

If you have an additional cable track on the opposite side of the cam, it will COMPLETELY ELIMINATE cam lean/limb twist. As is the case with shoot through cam systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that cam lean is not really anything to worry about. I just started this thread, as I have seen some people saying some cam systems have such problems, while others do not. However, I started thinking about the actual tech side of things, and realized they all have the problem. My bow shoots better then me, if arrow doesn't fly where it was supposed to, its my fault, not the bow. I understand this. I am just noting that Binary, Hybrid, and Singles all seem to have cam lean.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I mention it in my posts on the subject. The reason that is is more prevalent with binary cams is you can easily see it on the top, where as on the bottom it is hard to see -- that is why 1-cams and hybrid have the power cam on the bottom vice the top -- so you cannot easily see it lean at full draw.

X-cams all the way!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
shooternotbow said:
I agree that cam lean is not really anything to worry about. I just started this thread, as I have seen some people saying some cam systems have such problems, while others do not. However, I started thinking about the actual tech side of things, and realized they all have the problem. My bow shoots better then me, if arrow doesn't fly where it was supposed to, its my fault, not the bow. I understand this. I am just noting that Binary, Hybrid, and Singles all seem to have cam lean.
Add to that list dual cams as well. Remember, if you have a cable guard, you have cam lean at some point in the draw cycle. The only question is how much cam lean are you going to get.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I am no engineer...but not having a split bus can be a big pain if the binary is not shimmed correctly...can lean here more of a symptom than a cause...trust me!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts