Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings....... has anyone installed a cam on another company's riser/limbs' i.e., A Matthews Minimax Cam on a Merlin Super Nova Riser & limbs?
If so, what are the effects and should it be set-up (brace height) as per specs of manufacturer of riser/limbs? ...... Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
replies, please.......... even if on a theoritical basis. perhaps bowbender can cite his experience. and pinwheel ....... can you put a Mathews minimax cam on a Super Nova? if so, how should it be set up. Thanks for any assistance and opinion.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Yes you can put other cams on a bow. I have done it several times.

If you want a solocam on a Supernova (that was a t-wheel bow, I don't know why though) you will loose poundage (maybe about 8 lbs). Keep the axle-to-axle length the same and adjust the string and cable length as required. You will need a small cam on the Supernova of you want a Mathews cam on it. You will have to calculate the draw length and figure out which cam you will need, then you can simply take the string and cable measurement fom a bow that that cam goes on and add the difference in A-A to the cable and twice that to the string.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Different Cam's

I know that there are other archer's out there who have changed wheels on other bows besides myself. Being human we all think we can make a bow better to for our needs. Its like opening a box full of parts and not reading the instructions on how to put it togeather.

There are a few PSE bows that I have put togeather with Mathews cams on them and they seem to shoot better and a little faster. At times on these bows we did not have to change a thing. Still had the same brace height, axel to axel and bow weight. Also at this time there are a few Redman bows (Barnsdale) that we have installed the Martin Fury Cam. They shoot like a rock and have gained speed, but we have to tinker with cables and strings to get what we want. Also there have been times that we have to order a less poundage limb to get what we want.

The Martin Cougar III is my favorite bow and I have change the Fury cams out for the Hoyt command cams. I have retained almost the same A to A, lost 1/16 of an inch. It still has the same brace height and poudage. It got smoother and increased in speed almost 20 ft a second.

But it does not matter who's bow you decided to try to swap out wheels or cams, the warrenty goes out the door when you do so. Sometimes you just get lucky in a wheel swap!!! In the shooters mind its better than before because he did it. The mind is a terrible thing you know. But I have not heard a negative feed back on any equipment we have change out. There still shooting and no problems. But there could be other folks out there who have a few bad stories. All you can do is try! Archer's are a breed apart. We dont give up till our last arrow hits the target and then again we always have another tournament to go to and another chance.

Good Luck!

Nothing Is Perfect, Except A Perfect Release

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've put Fury cams on an Ultratech and Command Cams on a Scepter. Not hard to do, especially if you make your own strings and cables.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RobVos & bowbender1 .... Thanks for your reply. It's certainly a learning experience for me, one that I haven't seen discussed on print. Hopefully, there are still other archers willing to share their experience and/or technical knowhow regarding the subject. The more inputs the better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far. Query: not being technically proficient with the cams, can anyone tell me what factors come into play that makes a compound bow lose poundage when another cam is substituted for its original cam. Can bow poundage also be increased? What has been the most poundage increase/decrease that has been experienced?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Marty,

How different were string/cable lengths on the UltraTec after you put the Fury cams on? I assume you also had to get new spacers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts