Joe, I just want to make sure you are using the small hole near the lobe (not the lobe itself), to check the cam position. I believe the FFR and smaller MiniMax cams are checked using the lobe instead of the hole. FWIW, your cam does not look over rotated to me. It's pretty close...but in my experience most shoot fine (if not better) slightly over roated anyway.
I'd try twisting the cable if the axle to axle length is a bit long, the draw length is too short, and the draw weight is low. Maybe 3-4 full twists for starters. If the yoke starts twisting because of the amount of twists in the cable, take some twists OUT of the string (to make it longer).
BTW, expect some poundage loss due to the conversion from Max to Mini.
Take a look at the portion of the string that wraps around the cam and is attached to the post. This section of the string should run parallel to the portion of the string that runs from idler wheel to the cam. In the pic you will clearly see that it is running up instead of parallel. This indicated the cam is UNDER rotated and twisting the cable will bring it into alignment.
I think I've been using the wrong diagram. The Mathews guy told me to use the top of the cam lobe and not the 2 holes, which Charlie's diagram shows is the right measurement. Any way here are the specs for the bow which go along with the pics. This was a 60# bow with a CCR cam originally and now has a DDR Mini Max and idler on it.
The measurements are as follows after setting the string lenghts to Mathews spec:
String - 98 7/16"
Cable - 43"
Peak weight - 53#
Draw length AMO - 28.5" (I need 29")
Brace Height - 6 3/4"
Axel to axel - 40 11/16"
From the new information I've gotten here, it looks like the cam is just a little over rotated, but as you can see I'm still 1/2" short on the draw. That's what I don't understand. I've got the exact string and cable lengths but I'm way short of the 29" draw length I need.
Regardless of what method is used to increase the cam rotation, the poundage will likely increase. BH will obviously increase as the outer cam lobe brings the string out away from the bow. I don't have a MiniMax on my Conquest, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison, but I'd say 40.5" A/A and 7" BH
would be about what I'd expect. Maybe somone with a Conquest MiniMax can comment with specifics.
I tend to twist/adjust the cable more often than the string, to avoid my favorite job...NOT....getting the peep rotation perfect. Sometimes you don't have a choice, if the yokes start to twist. In that case, I usually just make a shorter cable myself.
I've been busy trying to get ready for my trip to the Worlds and Darrington but I hope to make the adjustment tonight and shoot it tomorrow. I'm going to leave the Max Cam on the new bow for now. I shot 28 field on sun. at a tounament and had a 538. I'm still not really there with that one yet either, too many low shots but it'll do for now.
I twisted up the cable another 4 turns and the results were:
Draw Length 29"
Draw weight 57#
Brace height 6 3/4
A to A 40 11/16
I haven't gotten to shoot it outdoors yet but the paper tear is good and it feels right. The cam is over rotated quite a bit but I don't see any way around that to get the 29" draw. I'm attaching an a cam position pic and will update you on how it shoots tomorrow.
The bow seems to be shooting well. I need to work on my shot and I think I'll have a winner. I messed around with some different d-loop configurations and so far the best one is using a rope on my BT release through the d-loop. It seems to be less sensitive to the bad shots. I'm going to the NFAA Outdoor Nats. tomorrow and that's what I'll shoot there.
A forum community dedicated to bow and crossbow owners and archery enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, performance, troubleshooting, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!