Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
From what I see and my experiance with the SL cam I'd say your string might need about 1 1/2 too 2 twists and leave the cabel alone .

·
Registered
800 Posts
Joe, I just want to make sure you are using the small hole near the lobe (not the lobe itself), to check the cam position. I believe the FFR and smaller MiniMax cams are checked using the lobe instead of the hole. FWIW, your cam does not look over rotated to me. It's pretty close...but in my experience most shoot fine (if not better) slightly over roated anyway.

I'd try twisting the cable if the axle to axle length is a bit long, the draw length is too short, and the draw weight is low. Maybe 3-4 full twists for starters. If the yoke starts twisting because of the amount of twists in the cable, take some twists OUT of the string (to make it longer).

BTW, expect some poundage loss due to the conversion from Max to Mini.

Keep us posted...

Charlie

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Take a look at the portion of the string that wraps around the cam and is attached to the post. This section of the string should run parallel to the portion of the string that runs from idler wheel to the cam. In the pic you will clearly see that it is running up instead of parallel. This indicated the cam is UNDER rotated and twisting the cable will bring it into alignment.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I use the diagrams from Mathews. I believe Joe's cam is shown in the attached diagram.

Gregg, I'm not sure I agree with the method you use to check it, but I've never really paid attention to that end of the string. I'll take a look at my bow later tonight (at home).

Regardless, at least we both agree that adding a few twists to the cable is a good place for Joe to start. ;)

Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
zenarch, the way your first picture is correct, the two longest drw mini max cams use the two small holes and the cams after that use the # 1 post and the lobe.;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've been using the wrong diagram. The Mathews guy told me to use the top of the cam lobe and not the 2 holes, which Charlie's diagram shows is the right measurement. Any way here are the specs for the bow which go along with the pics. This was a 60# bow with a CCR cam originally and now has a DDR Mini Max and idler on it.
The measurements are as follows after setting the string lenghts to Mathews spec:
String - 98 7/16"
Cable - 43"
Peak weight - 53#
Draw length AMO - 28.5" (I need 29")
Brace Height - 6 3/4"
Axel to axel - 40 11/16"
From the new information I've gotten here, it looks like the cam is just a little over rotated, but as you can see I'm still 1/2" short on the draw. That's what I don't understand. I've got the exact string and cable lengths but I'm way short of the 29" draw length I need.
Joe B.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Joe, did you try twisting that cable yet? Trust me, you can easily get another 1/2" of DL and all will be fine. :)

Charlie

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charlie,
I'm going to do that. Does the A to A and BH seem OK. How would it differ if I took twists out of the strin instead of twisting the cable. Thanks for your help.
Joe B.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Regardless of what method is used to increase the cam rotation, the poundage will likely increase. BH will obviously increase as the outer cam lobe brings the string out away from the bow. I don't have a MiniMax on my Conquest, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison, but I'd say 40.5" A/A and 7" BH
would be about what I'd expect. Maybe somone with a Conquest MiniMax can comment with specifics.

I tend to twist/adjust the cable more often than the string, to avoid my favorite job...NOT....getting the peep rotation perfect. Sometimes you don't have a choice, if the yokes start to twist. In that case, I usually just make a shorter cable myself. ;)

Charlie

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My conquest w/ an MiniMax Cam FFR has a 41 inch Axle to Axle and a brace height a hair shorter than 6-3/4".

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Here's what I could find on this subject. Hope it helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Charlie,
I've been busy trying to get ready for my trip to the Worlds and Darrington but I hope to make the adjustment tonight and shoot it tomorrow. I'm going to leave the Max Cam on the new bow for now. I shot 28 field on sun. at a tounament and had a 538. I'm still not really there with that one yet either, too many low shots but it'll do for now.
Joe B.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Charlie,
I twisted up the cable another 4 turns and the results were:

Draw Length 29"
Draw weight 57#
Brace height 6 3/4
A to A 40 11/16

I haven't gotten to shoot it outdoors yet but the paper tear is good and it feels right. The cam is over rotated quite a bit but I don't see any way around that to get the 29" draw. I'm attaching an a cam position pic and will update you on how it shoots tomorrow.
Joe B.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Joe, you might also want to reserve your cable with some BCY #62 in size .018. I see that yours is starting to seperate. If you serve it tight and wax it it will out last the cable without seperating.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Gregg,
What yo see is more of a dis-coloration than a separation. I'm going to keep an eye on it and I'll try the #62 if I have to reserve.
Joe B.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Charlie,
The bow seems to be shooting well. I need to work on my shot and I think I'll have a winner. I messed around with some different d-loop configurations and so far the best one is using a rope on my BT release through the d-loop. It seems to be less sensitive to the bad shots. I'm going to the NFAA Outdoor Nats. tomorrow and that's what I'll shoot there.
Joe B.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts