Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot a single cam bow. I have been told that because I am fairly new to archery, that I should stay away from dual cam bows because they require more maintenance ie: synchronizing. Can someone explain this idea? Should I stay away from dual cams?

·
Registered
594 Posts
dont worry about it. just shoot

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't avoid dual cam bows, they are some of the best ones out there. Syncing the cams is not that hard, and the more you can do yourself in the way of tuning, the better off you are. Dual cam bows tend to have more of a hump before letoff, but that varies from bow to bow.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Cams going out of sync is not as much of a matter as it was about 10 years ago. String/cable material and methods of construction have dramatically gottne better. Anymore two cams are no more likely to go out of sync than a single cam is to go out of time. Both cam styles have their pros and cons. I will tell you this though. Dual cams have been a round a lot longer than solo's.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The claim that single cams don't go out of time or need tuning if the string stretches, is an outright lie.

If a cam system didn't need it's strings and cables to stay at the right length, then it wouldn't have any such thing as string and cable length specifications. You could literally install any length string or cable on the bow, and go shoot.

If string or cable stretch occurs on any cam system, it will change the place the arrow goes when you shoot it. At least with a dual cam, you will probably notice that the cams are out of sync, before you shoot.

·
2 cams + 4 cables = X
3,403 Posts
Shoot what you like....

Cams going out of sync is not as much of a matter as it was about 10 years ago. String/cable material and methods of construction have dramatically gottne better. Anymore two cams are no more likely to go out of sync than a single cam is to go out of time. Both cam styles have their pros and cons.
Agreed. With the current zero stretch string materials (452X, Excel, UltraCam) you can set up your bow and generally have no need to readjust. I shot a BUNCH of 3D tournaments last year, and shoot that bow nearly every day, but have not needed any adjustments all year. I am about to change out the strings just because I make my own strings now, but it is still at the same settings from December 2008.

Many folks that say that about twin cams have never learned to tune their own single cam bow, and have never owned a dual cam.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Anyone that says a solo cam doesnt need retuning is wrong. The string or cables stetch a little not only is the cam not in optimum position but the nocking point is off also.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank for the information.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts