Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been fiddling with draw stop and cam sync on my ultra tec, all measurements now appear nearly correct, BH perhaps 1/16" too long, and a-a 2/16" too long, but draw stops correct,
my question is, how accurate does the cam sync have to be, control cable on one cam lines up with edge of the hole, on the other cam the other edge of the control cable lines up with the edge of the hole (if you get what i'm trying to explain, maybe better put as about a string width difference) is this sufficient or do they have to be exact?
thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds close enough -- how's it shoot?

I'm pretty new at this high-tech tuning stuff myself, but basic enginering tells me that if the specs are close AND it shoots well, you've done it! The BH and ATA numbers (like the alignment holes in the cams) are for reference only. The true test is whether the cams are in sync. If (using a drawing board or having someone pull it while you watch) both cams reach the stops at EXACTLY the same time, then you're good to go.

See also JAVI's stickie on timing above or search on "cam timing" and "cam sync."

Shoot well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I did read JAVI's post, and that was what gave me the confidence to even attempt this myself, i was just wondering how accurate these measurements should be.

And thanks to all those that take the time to reply to these posts from us newcommers

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
A to A and Brace height are a reference indicator of the pre-load on the limbs... Cam sync is very important and not measured by the holes in the cams and their reference to the cable. Rather the cable relationship to the holes are a reference to cam sync. The best way to measure the cam sync is to bottom the limb bolts and measure from the limbs at the juncture of the limb pockets up to the string on either end of the bow... this measurement should be even within a 1/16 at worse...

·
Registered
208 Posts
"The best way to measure the cam sync is to bottom the limb bolts and measure from the limbs at the juncture of the limb pockets up to the string on either end of the bow... this measurement should be even within a 1/16 at worse..."

Javi - wouldn't that be the same as measuring the tiller?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
TradTech said:
"The best way to measure the cam sync is to bottom the limb bolts and measure from the limbs at the juncture of the limb pockets up to the string on either end of the bow... this measurement should be even within a 1/16 at worse..."

Javi - wouldn't that be the same as measuring the tiller?
Ahhh.... yes but since the rotational timing of the cams affect the tiller on hybrid cam bows, I am interested in the measurement and its relationship to cam sync, since the limbs are bottomed out not limb preload.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i;m a bit confused now, does "juncture of the limb pockets up to the string on either end of the bow" not mean the tiller????
if not, what point on the string at the end of the bow,
thanks.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
scruffy dog said:
i;m a bit confused now, does "juncture of the limb pockets up to the string on either end of the bow" not mean the tiller????
if not, what point on the string at the end of the bow,
thanks.
How to explain this...

Tiller is a measurement of the bend in the limbs. On some bows this can be done at the limb pockets to the bow string. The prerequisite would be cams of the same diameter. The hybrid cam is not the same diameter in most cases, but they do have a small area at the top of the cam where the bow string departs that is the same distance measured to the axle. This is the reason that you can measure here to determine the correct synchronization of the cams. If one of the cams is out of synchronization the measurement will not be even. So simply put you could measure tiller at this location if the cams are in synchronization, but in this case the tiller of the limbs isn’t in question. The cam synchronization is…

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
if i understand correctly, from limb pocket/limb (where i would measure tiller) to the point where the string leaves the cam.... is this correct?
or could anyone add a photo to show correct point on cam?

thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts