Archery Talk Forum banner

cam timing vs bow in specs?

617 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  slamdam
I just put new strings and cables on my x-force ss. I made the appropriate twist adjustments to get my cams timed but when I double checked all of my specs I found it just short axle to axle (26.4 as opposed to 26.6). All other specs were in. I took some twists out of the string but that made no change. I took a couple of twists out of each cable and that made a small change but it also moved the cable off the timing marks. Should I simply put the twists back in and get my timing back or continue until my A2A is correct. Am I missing something? More twists out of the string, maybe? Surely Nuts & Bolts has some sage advise as to how to proceed. Anyone else? Thanks.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I too have started doing all my own work and have some of the same questions. A few things I have learned so far...If you get the specs. REAL close, it's probably close enough. Also, when replacing strings you may or may not end up w/MINUTE differences in length from 1 manufacturer to another, or even 2 sets from the same man. These differences in lenth can result in only getting REAL close w/specs. I think you'll find if you can get your specs. w/in 1/8" and nail the cam sync., the bow will shoot great! Oh ya, after you get your specs., always check peak weight. If your too far over the max., you've prob. got too many twists in your cables resulting in too much limb pre-load. Not a good thing. I would rather be 1 lb. under than4-6 lbs. over. I know more weight=faster arrow, but it's not good for the bow. Hope this helps!:wink:

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I'll play with it some more tonight after work before I do any shooting. Thanks for the help. You guys are confirming what I pretty much expected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.