Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted these pictures on another topic, but decided to start a new one and see if anyone else has had similar results. These pictures clearly show the buck being spooked by the camera, and I've hunted stands where I had cameras out and seen deer avoid them. I know sometimes bucks and does come back over an over to the camera, but I was wondering if anyone else had pictures like these that clearly show deer being spooked. It was a digital, set on 10 second delay, and noise wasn't a factor. I took the camera down in October and never saw this deer cross this narrow piece of land bridging the ravine again. He was seen by my brother and passed twice crossing the same ravine almost 1/4 mile away, but he didn't come back to the camera location. It got me to wondering about all those other big bucks pictures you see...you know, only one picture. What happened after the camera took the picture...did the deer spook, or just walk off.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i dont know if that deer is neccessarily "spooked" as in wont be back....................

the reality of it is..................yes its un-natural to have a "blinding" light go off in the middle of the woods..............

i cant see deer associating it with danger if there is no trace of "danger" with it.

so do we blame the flash ?

or

the scent left behind from checking a trail cam ?

your call on this one...........

camoham

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's pretty interesting.Could be anything really.

Like camo said, there's no real way of knowing. But, I doubt it was so much the scent—simply because the deer would most likely pick up the scent before ever reaching the camera if you had contaminated the area that drastically—and likely would have avoided the area altogether.

Does the area receive a lot of hunting pressure or overall "human" traffic? Some deer, especially bucks, in areas that receive a lot of pressure are just naturally more skittish.

I'd say regardless of what it was that spooked him, if your bro has witnessed him avoiding that specific location since the pic was taken—that buck likely learned his lesson, and now knows to avoid that particular spot. That may or may not work to your favor—in that you can now maybe key on where his has adjusted his "pattern" to cross that ravine!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
camoham said:
i dont know if that deer is neccessarily "spooked" as in wont be back....................

the reality of it is..................yes its un-natural to have a "blinding" light go off in the middle of the woods..............

i cant see deer associating it with danger if there is no trace of "danger" with it.

so do we blame the flash ?

or

the scent left behind from checking a trail cam ?

your call on this one...........

camoham
I doubt it was scent. The camera had been out over a week and I hadn't been back to it, the deer is on the hill opposite of where I came in to place the camera, and we had two good rains in the week since I had put the camera out and the picture was taken. Looks to me the flash just plain scared him, and he decided to cross in a differnt place from then on.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Really impossible to tell what spooked him? Are you sure its the same deer? Could another buck have spooked him? Was it the flash? Who knows!

We had gotten a real nice buck on camera last year that showed up only once. He was not spooked by the camera because he was eating corn for about 1/2 hour and we got many pics. Strange thing is.....that was the only time we got him on camera and the camera was out for 2 months prior to the season. Hunted most of the season in that spot and never saw him until 2 days before the season ended. My nephew shot and missed him. The buck has never returned to that spot to our knowledge. We spotted him nearly a mile away just this past weekend so he made it through last hunting season. Point is, the digital camera has made us realize how elusive some of these mature bucks are and it is not necessarily the camera spooking the deer. If I were you, I would put out some salt and corn in that very spot to see if you can get him to return. Chances are, it was not your camera that spooked him.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I don't know if he was spooked, he may just be traveling through those areas naturally that way.

Do you have daytime sets of him coming through and not seeing the cam or getting flashed, and then suddenly when he got flashed he just stopped using the corridor?

He may have just relocated naturally for some other reasons/conditions.

As far as flash spooking deer, I have watched many deer sit in front of my cams while in the treestand and get flashed over and over, not really bothering them. They might flinch when the flash goes off, but they are back at ease moments later. But I have seen deer approach behind another deer, see the flash and hang up for a short while but eventually come in. I'm sure sometimes deer see the flash and then may avoid coming in all together.

Only way to avoid that is IR cams or taking only daytime pics with no flash.

Also looks like you have a little bit of flash bleed. Take a black marker and paint over the edge of the glass (circle or square, all edges). This will prevent the flash bleed from coming in the sides of the glass! ;)

·
74,535 Posts
Camera

I use mine and set them for daytime use only. I agree anytime you flash a buck he will get suspicious and may avoid that area.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well,

From the second image, it's pretty clear he's got his "flag" wavin—I don't think from the "flag" and the fact he's headed back in the opposite direction that it's "out of the question" that the camera/flash spooked that buck.

True, it could've been a number of things—but just the same—it "could have been" the camera.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Come on guy's, I don't think it's that hard to see. The deer was walking through the area, camera takes his picture...10 seconds later he is running back the way he came with his tail flagging and the camera gets that shot too.

This is actually the second and third shot. The first shot is of him walking towards the camera with his head down, second shot is him looking at the camera and third is of him running away...I just can't get the first one to load properly.

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
DV1 said:
Come on guy's, I don't think it's that hard to see. The deer was walking through the area, camera takes his picture...10 seconds later he is running back the way he came with his tail flagging and the camera gets that shot too.
I agree. We can speculate all day long on what caused him to flee, but undeniably the most obvious answer is that the camera scared him. Whether that is signicant in affecting his travel patterns is a different debate, but he is clearly running from the camera flash.

·
74,535 Posts
Nightime deer counts

We do several starting next month. We will see some bucks the first three counts but after that they thin down quick.

They must be camera shy :D

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
DV1 said:

This is actually the second and third shot. The first shot is of him walking towards the camera with his head down, second shot is him looking at the camera and third is of him running away...I just can't get the first one to load properly.
I sure can believe it....why not? They arent all dumb to stand around and get their pics taken, they arent like _____ :zip:

Doug, I am curious, is the clock on your cam correct? 6:50AM it should be light out? Not that it matters ......

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Doug:

Also when were these pics taken? November 5th? December 5th? January 5th?

I didn't see at first the two pics were from the same time period. I would agree that he probably got spooked by the flash, but it could also be in conjunction with his sentiment at the time.

Perhaps he was just super cautious/wary and that oddity (flash) spooked him enough to bounce the area.

Certainly possible, and probably a reason why IR cams were made.

Really depends on the buck I guess and the time of year. Those two bucks I just got last week were odd. The younger 8 pointer wasn't camera or flash shy, I have well over 100 pics of him, yet the other bigger 8 I think I only have a handful of pics of him and he isn't sitting there munching on corn, he just came in and then left. I'll see this upcoming weekend if the camera spooked him out of the area.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Tax Lawyer said:
Mark Drury has commented that the flash scares bucks.
Of course they have their Wildlife Eye which is IR out now, probably has nothing to do with that comment by Mark! ;) Not to mention the other members of the Drury Team use CamTracker and other flash based systems for their pics.

I don't see any IR pics from the Drurys, so what are they using for digital cams now-a-days...or are they just using those Wildlife Eyes (or just showing them and not their digital photos with flash for marketing purposes).

Again I think it all depends on the bucks and the does. The flash scares some bucks and some does, but not all. I don't think you can blanket that a flash scares deer. Hell how many bucks have been taken by 35mm cams that have a motor winding after each shot but the buck stands there and has his pic taken over and over. Not all deer are the same, and the same deer is not the same from month to month, week to week, day to day.

·
Registered
427 Posts
DV1 said:
It was a digital, set on 10 second delay, and noise wasn't a factor.
Well that ought to tell you something.... I would think that if a deer got flashed every 10 seconds then it would definitely spook them. I set mine for 15 mins.. By the time it flashes again then they would have likely forgotten about the flash.

I guess if you are on a trail then you may want it set sooner.. Like maybe 1 min or 30 secs.. But I think getting blinded every 10 seconds would make any animal run off.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
MasterBlaster said:
Well that ought to tell you something.... I would think that if a deer got flashed every 10 seconds then it would definitely spook them. I set mine for 15 mins.. By the time it flashes again then they would have likely forgotten about the flash.

I guess if you are on a trail then you may want it set sooner.. Like maybe 1 min or 30 secs.. But I think getting blinded every 10 seconds would make any animal run off.

That's also a good point. I had my cams set on 10 seconds last year and I eventually bumped them up to 5 minute delays and got as many or more and better pics.

At 10 seconds, that flash really hammers the hell out of them. Sometimes it is better to space it out. In fact I might do that this weekend for the spot I got those bucks at.

·
Registered
198 Posts
in the first pic the buck looks like he is alerted to something. If his senses were already on edge, then the flash went off it probably did spook him. He probably bounded off about 80 yards, looked back over his shoulder and stared in the direction of the camera for a couple of minutes, saw nothing else, wiggled his tail and calmly walked off. You'll get more picture of him :wink:

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Reply to subject

Hello

Well i had a cam made in-for red .Not because of the 4 legged deer .But the two legged kind.

But I will let you know, how the in-for red effects them at night.

Unk :smile:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't think that with mature bucks you can really say if the flash makes them avoid the area because the last I checked they are not on any kind of schedule to move through an area and you are usually lucky to see them more than once in a season. People claim to see certain individual bucks several times in a season, but I have my suspicions that most of the time they are seeing other big bucks and believe it to be the same one. I find it hard to believe the camera makes them avoid an area, but like someone stated earlier every individual deer is differnet just like people they all have their own mentalities so it is really hard telling what they are thinking.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts