Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never ran cameras until this year. Any issues with running them through the dead of winter? Does it decrease life of them?
Thanks!
Deone

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
if it is a quality cam, it will be fine... just use LITHIUM batteries ... I'd put mine out the end of July, and then not bring 'em in till March .. temps to below zero, snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain .. no problems... Moultries, Bushnell's and Brownings... The Bushnell's and Moultires(M80's) are old now and still work fine ..

·
Back down to ground level
16,122 Posts
Had a trophy cam that didn't work when it was too cold. Ton of tracks in the snow on the trail, but no pics. Might have just been that camera. Seems to be bad ones in every batch. Other brands worked fine through winter.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Lithium batteries help...cold will drain the alkalines. I have a Snyper cam and just noticed the other day it didn't pick up on deer that were in front of it....maybe it's a little sluggish in the cold. Most of my cams though, Cuddeback, Browning, Covert, homebrews, all run fine.

·
Elitist
5,841 Posts
Winter pics are very cool! Lithium batteries for sure. I have Bushnells and they do just fine in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I'm currently running a half dozen cams. Scouting for next year starts now in wolf country to simply see if anything makes it through the winter. My homebrews have spent 24/7/365 in the field for MANY seasons with no problems. I have a Reconyx that also also goes year round with no issues. Recently purchased a few Brownings that are out right now. Not going to find much worse winter cam conditions than here, current temp is -10F and it's going down to -20F this evening. Lithiums definitely help in extreme winter temps. I have also built a solar power 12v battery unit that will allow year round power in any temps. Lithiums get spendy and I've got better things to do than trudge through the snow in sub zero temps to check cameras. Much easier to go check them in March when things start to thaw.

Love the winter pics...

Attachments

·
I like elk!
17,838 Posts
I'm currently running a half dozen cams. Scouting for next year starts now in wolf country to simply see if anything makes it through the winter. My homebrews have spent 24/7/365 in the field for MANY seasons with no problems. I have a Reconyx that also also goes year round with no issues. Recently purchased a few Brownings that are out right now. Not going to find much worse winter cam conditions than here, current temp is -10F and it's going down to -20F this evening. Lithiums definitely help in extreme winter temps. I have also built a solar power 12v battery unit that will allow year round power in any temps. Lithiums get spendy and I've got better things to do than trudge through the snow in sub zero temps to check cameras. Much easier to go check them in March when things start to thaw.

Love the winter pics...

Would you mind describing your 12v/solar set up?

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
Would you mind describing your 12v/solar set up?
Pelican 1150 case, 12v SLA battery, Pololu 12V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S18V20F12, battery charge indicator and waterproof connections for the solar array and the power cord to the camera. Wires for solar panel and power cord ran inside squirrel proof flexible metal conduit.

I had most of the stuff sitting around from my homebrew days. You could probably get by without the voltage regulator but I want to be on the safe side with a constant 12v output no matter what the battery voltage is at or how much charge it's taking. The battery charge indicator is in line before the regulator so it displays the actual battery voltage not the constant 12v output. You could build a simpler version for cheaper but I always overbuild everything.

This thing attached to a Browning Strike Force HD PRO and with a 512GB card could be left in the field for a very, very long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Man it just dawned on me that i still have a camera up from last season that's been out since august 2016 AHAHA. My buddy that i was having issues with left it up too far for me to go and mess with it and try and find it. glad its a $39 wildgame. I wonder if its still there with a card probably has good pics on it.

·
Registered
38,125 Posts
Many here know my opinion on cams by now. I'm going to Brownings and dumping the rest. I've had 4 browning cams up and running since August and still have over 50% battery life, and I'm getting at least 100 pics a week from each. I ran a dark ops beside a bushnell trophy HD and got pics the bushnell didn't. My moultries have stopped taking night pics and are eating batteries. I found darks ops on sale for 119$ so I bought my own present this year. I'll be running 10 Brownings after today.

·
Mark
5,456 Posts
I have bushnell trophy cam and use year round. I get a full year on alkaline batteries. Cold weather has no negative impact that I’m aware of, my camera is about 4 years old.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Been Running cams for many years 35MM Commercial then 6 Homebrews and now several digital Commercial Cams they are out 24 / 7 / 365 and I only do Video and I get 4 to 5 months of Videos and most of the batteries last for the most part it is more how many images / Videos are night time and how long the Videos are I cut down to 30 second for day time and 20 Second being the limit for night time with Brownings and 30 Seconds for the others Stealth and older Moultrie M-1100i & M990i. It is more about the activity in front of the camera. I have only used Lithiums for the last many years alkalines last maybe 2 or 3 days when new. And It is hitting below zero here in Michigan Northern LP... Only cam that did not like extreme cold was Covert Red 40 gave Green Pictures... That was the only time it would... Don't have any Coverts Now...
I have Spec Ops (2016), Dark Ops (2015), G45NG (2016), G42NG (2015 & 2016's), M-1100i's (2014) & M-990i (2013) all work in cold weather without any issues.
LFM

·
wolfey
4,125 Posts
I have bushnell trophy cam and use year round. I get a full year on alkaline batteries. Cold weather has no negative impact that I’m aware of, my camera is about 4 years old.
Any temps below freezing will affect alkaline batteries. The way to tell is the flash intensity will lessen and it's recovery time. If you have it taking 1 pic then a delay before the next pic it may be hard to tell but if you have it take multiple pics every trigger the follow up pics will have less flash intensity. Video is also not going to be as good with alkaline in the cold. The effects mentioned get worse in extreme cold like below 0°F.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
wolfey
4,125 Posts
Been Running cams for many years 35MM Commercial then 6 Homebrews and now several digital Commercial Cams they are out 24 / 7 / 365 and I only do Video and I get 4 to 5 months of Videos and most of the batteries last for the most part it is more how many images / Videos are night time and how long the Videos are I cut down to 30 second for day time and 20 Second being the limit for night time with Brownings and 30 Seconds for the others Stealth and older Moultrie M-1100i & M990i. It is more about the activity in front of the camera. I have only used Lithiums for the last many years alkalines last maybe 2 or 3 days when new. And It is hitting below zero here in Michigan Northern LP... Only cam that did not like extreme cold was Covert Red 40 gave Green Pictures... That was the only time it would... Don't have any Coverts Now...
I have Spec Ops (2016), Dark Ops (2015), G45NG (2016), G42NG (2015 & 2016's), M-1100i's (2014) & M-990i (2013) all work in cold weather without any issues.
LFM
I've had good luck with my covert black 60 and illuminator cams during the winter. Every camera can vary though no matter the brand. Some just act funny like yours and some cams have more standby drain than others. I wish I had the equipment to test the standby drain on my cams to see if that varies on the cameras age.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts